Who's Applying for Fall 2012? Where are you Applying?

litjust

Yeah, I agree with a few other people and I think you should visit also. I visited Madison in December (before I was accepted) and I'm glad I did because they also did not offer money for a campus visit, although I have received a fellowship for the program. I'm glad I went because during my visit, it immediately became my top choice. I fell in love with the program and the city in a way that I couldn't have simply by reading about it and communicating with people electronically. I wonder if there is a way for you to get a cheaper ticket. Maybe you can name your own price on Priceline? I've had tremendous success with this for hotels and rental cars, but I've never tried for a flight. It might be worth investigating.

@litjust, I don't know I read this read for this whole cycle and somehow missed that you decided on Madison! I feel like I haven't heard people talk about Wisconsin at all on these boards, but it *might* be my top choice. I'm heading out there for a visit in a couple weeks (unfortunately during spring break, but I mostly just want my partner to get a feel for the city).

@wildviolet Did you decide to visit UW?

Just popping my head in to say helloooooooo to everyone! It's been a while and it seems like people are disappearing due to the decision-making process lol. I'm closer to my decision, leaning 70% to Penn, 30% to Michigan. Just waiting on more GA-ship interviews (and hopefully OFFERS lol) before I make my final decision :)

Finished up my Michigan visit last week and was very impressed with their higher ed program. Headed out to Stanford's POLS and SUSE this weekend.

Michigan's HE program is one of the best in the nation. Just check out their faculty. They got their names everywhere.

@litjust, I don't know I read this read for this whole cycle and somehow missed that you decided on Madison! I feel like I haven't heard people talk about Wisconsin at all on these boards, but it *might* be my top choice. I'm heading out there for a visit in a couple weeks (unfortunately during spring break, but I mostly just want my partner to get a feel for the city).

@wildviolet Did you decide to visit UW?

Hey Pourtant!! We might be out there during the same time (I'll be there from 4/5 - 4/8). I'm going to try and find a place to live next year. I went in December and loved it!

Edited by litjust

Hey Pourtant!! We might be out there during the same time (I'll be there from 4/5 - 4/8). I'm going to try and find a place to live next year. I went in December and loved it!

Yep, I'll be there that Friday/Saturday! I grew up in WI, so I'm pretty familiar with Madison, but I want to check out some of the neighborhoods recommended for grad students, since all I really know of the city is partying with undergrads. I've heard you need to start looking crazy early. Are you in Curriculum & Instruction?

For those on the waitlists at Columbia and Vanderbilt for the Master's higher ed programs, I should be turning down my seats at those schools in the next couple of days ... and will probably turn down Harvard, too. Hope this frees up a spot for one of y'all.

Anyone here applied to UIUC? Did they already send out all the offers? I am an international and applied to UIUC's educational psychology program. Still no news from them. Should I assume I've been rejected?

Yep, I'll be there that Friday/Saturday! I grew up in WI, so I'm pretty familiar with Madison, but I want to check out some of the neighborhoods recommended for grad students, since all I really know of the city is partying with undergrads. I've heard you need to start looking crazy early. Are you in Curriculum & Instruction?

Yes, I'm in C&I. Are you as well?

Just wanted to give another big shout out to litjust for starting this thread. It's been a wild ride, and I'm thankful to have had some companions along the way. Best of luck to everyone! If you want to keep in touch professionally via LinkedIn, please PM me. It's not to early to start building our networks!

Edited by wildviolet

Yes, I'm in C&I. Are you as well?

Yep, just doing an M.S., for now, at least.

Just wanted to give another big shout out to litjust for starting this thread. It's been a wild ride, and I'm thankful to have had some companions along the way. Best of luck to everyone! If you want to keep in touch professionally via LinkedIn, please PM me. It's not to early to start building our networks!

Hear, hear! This has been so helpful and it really makes me feel like this is a welcoming, friendly field.

Thanks, wildviolet! It definitely has been wonderful talking with all of you for the past few months. Whoa, I just realized it has nearly been half a year!!! I will send you a PM.

Yes! What a wonderful, welcoming, and supportive group! Thanks for your support and friendship. I couldn't have made it through this process without all of you. I wish all of you continued success and many blessings. <3

I wish I'd found this board earlier. You all seem like a totally great and supportive group-- I could've used that!

(In other news, I still don't know where to go and I don't know how to choose. Yuck.)

I know you're really in a time crunch here, but have you gone to visit? Tbh that's what really made this decision a lot easier. I immediately connected to one program significantly more than the other.

I know you're really in a time crunch here, but have you gone to visit? Tbh that's what really made this decision a lot easier. I immediately connected to one program significantly more than the other.

I am going to visit Vanderbilt the weekend we have to tell them our decision, actually! haha And I currently attend the other institution as an undergrad student, so I'm very familiar with this area and atmosphere already, and somewhat familiar with the program and its instructors.

I am going to visit Vanderbilt the weekend we have to tell them our decision, actually! haha And I currently attend the other institution as an undergrad student, so I'm very familiar with this area and atmosphere already, and somewhat familiar with the program and its instructors.

wow! Good luck! Hope you have a great visit and that it really clarifies things for you. :)

• 1 month later...

So at the end of the day, oh and I have been away a while so I havent been able to get on here as much.

Stanford Reject

Madison Reject

USC Reject

PSU I never got word about money

UCLA full tuition no stipend

ASU MLF full tuition, stipend

UGA Full tution, stipend

Oregon never got word about funding

So that is that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I've been following this thread for awhile, but haven't posted. I got into Penn, Columbia, UMass Amherst, and rejected from Harvard. I wanted to go to Penn, but can't afford it (even with their GA, it is still too pricey). I saw that Oxford was still accepting applications, so I applied there. Does anyone know about how their education programs compare? Also, all the programs I applied for were master's, but I am thinking to take another year and go straight for a PhD. Any suggestions for PhD apps from those who have been successful?