Who's Applying for Fall 2012? Where are you Applying?

litjust

seriously freaking out that i haven't gotten official word from anywhere.

is it bad i've already started hunting down housing options? I even figured out where i'm gonna live with 18000 stipend versus a 27000 stipend. also have calculated commuting times if I lived off-campus.

day-dreaming of that feeling walking across campus, chin up high, completely satisfied being immersed in research I love..

self-torture continues.

Don't freak out. It's still early. This cycle goes until March. I totally don't think it's bad that you've started calculating housing options. Haha, and comparing stipend amounts - I can relate ;) I can't wait until this is over. Hitomimay, I agree! I, too, wish I could sleep the rest of this month away. It's not like I don't need the rest anyway.

Thanks for joining us and congrats on you acceptance!!! I'm still waiting to hear from Madison, curriculum & instruction.

Thank you. It feel the anxiety on the board, and even though I have an acceptance letter, it's not THE acceptance letter.

On 1/25/2012 at 1:31 PM, cacaotocacao said:

day-dreaming of that feeling walking across campus, chin up high, completely satisfied being immersed in research I love..

self-torture continues.

Me, too! I think it's completely normal (and probably even healthy) to daydream about where you're going to live and how you're going to feel walking around campus as a doctoral student. I'm so excited about grad school--can't wait to get there, so I know what you mean about self-torture.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much. If you know which specific professors you want to work with, you may want to try emailing them--don't ask about your application status, just say hi. That's what I've done so far, and I've gotten friendly responses back. I know UT Austin will have results by mid-February and WashU probably won't get theirs done until March. So, don't worry too much if you haven't been contacted yet.

On 1/25/2012 at 3:43 PM, phd2012 said:

Thank you. It feel the anxiety on the board, and even though I have an acceptance letter, it's not THE acceptance letter.

Yep! I know exactly what you mean!

...Also, I wouldn't worry too much. If you know which specific professors you want to work with, you may want to try emailing them--don't ask about your application status, just say hi. That's what I've done so far, and I've gotten friendly responses back. I know UT Austin will have results by mid-February and  WashU probably won't get theirs done until March. So, don't worry too much if you haven't been contacted yet.

You're braver than me! I totally want to do this, but I don't want to feel like I'm disturbing them. Today, I did find out that Madison C&I did not return until this past Monday (of course I didn't ask ... someone else told me), which means that any Madison folks who are waiting it out with me might not hear until early Feb.

Hi everyone!

I've been ignoring gradcafe because it felt like picking a sore (the waiting process and reading everyone's updates that is), but I thought I would share now that I have heard something--I got a call from a prof I wanted to work with from UCLA a couple days ago congratulating me on my acceptance! I am VERY excited because UCLA is one of my top choices!! I am shocked that they got back so soon so kudos to UCLA adcomm.

Btw, I'm so neurotic that I"m thinking someone prank called me since I haven't received the official packet and the decision is not up on the website! If the case, I'll update you soon.

Good luck everyone :)

Edited by keepswimming

Phone interview scheduled with University of Wisconsin-Madison (Higher Ed Leadership & Policy) & second interview with USC (Higher Ed), both for PhD programs.

Yay! Just one question, what do you mean by 2nd interview with USC? O.o?!

Oh wait, never mind, i see your signature now, sorry...

I swear, I'm reading waaaay too much into this and turning neurotic lol.

Next week is the start of February!!! Hopefully we all hear some more solid and concrete good news soon lol.

Edited by hitomimay

Hi everyone!

I've been ignoring gradcafe because it felt like picking a sore (the waiting process and reading everyone's updates that is), but I thought I would share now that I have heard something--I got a call from a prof I wanted to work with from UCLA a couple days ago congratulating me on my acceptance! I am VERY excited because UCLA is one of my top choices!! I am shocked that they got back so soon so kudos to UCLA adcomm.

Btw, I'm so neurotic that I"m thinking someone prank called me since I haven't received the official packet and the decision is not up on the website! If the case, I'll update you soon.

I am new here. This is my first post, but been lurking for a while.

First of all, While I am in the 'burbs, I got Chicago love. I have been accepted to the U of Iowa - my fourth choice. I am really hoping and praying for Michigan or Wiconsin. Has anyone heard anything from either of these Ed Policy programs?

Good luck to all!!

Congrats you two! I'm so excited for you! :)

Don't freak out. It's still early. This cycle goes until March. I totally don't think it's bad that you've started calculating housing options. Haha, and comparing stipend amounts - I can relate ;) I can't wait until this is over. Hitomimay, I agree! I, too, wish I could sleep the rest of this month away. It's not like I don't need the rest anyway.

thanks litjust. doing my best to stay occupied... reading books and catching up on my Neftlix queue! =D

thanks litjust. doing my best to stay occupied... reading books and catching up on my Neftlix queue! =D

Netflix...brilliant. I've been pouring through all the Hulu shows... Lol. Scary how many series I've watched from pilot to officially caught up on. :) too much free time when I want it the least lol. :)

hitomimany my situation seems to be reverse from yours. My first conversation was with the professor I hope to work with, tomorrow my phone call is with Dianne (PhD director at USC). I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the well wishes. Best to everyone. Congrats keepswimming on the news from UCLA!

hitomimany my situation seems to be reverse from yours. My first conversation was with the professor I hope to work with, tomorrow my phone call is with Dianne (PhD director at USC). I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the well wishes. Best to everyone. Congrats keepswimming on the news from UCLA!

Good luck tomorrow with Dianne. She's so sweet, she took time out of her day to call me on Christmas Eve. Nothing to be nervous about, a very nice woman. :)

Just curious, which professor did you end up talking to? Mine was Dr. Brewer.

Me too! I'm reading the Hunger Games series (I'm a teacher and my students insisted I read this, especially since the movie is coming out - middle school logic) and I'm on the second book. I actually enjoy them. In my grown up life, I'm reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. Have you seen any good films lately? I'm such an indie/foreign film junkie :)

Me too! I'm reading the Hunger Games series (I'm a teacher and my students insisted I read this, especially since the movie is coming out - middle school logic) and I'm on the second book. I actually enjoy them. In my grown up life, I'm reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. Have you seen any good films lately? I'm such an indie/foreign film junkie :)

That's awesome! The last thing I watched on netflix was Angelah Johnson in That's How We Do It! it's a stand up comedy... and she's hilarious! i really needed a good laugh.. I think everyone should watch it at some point. and if you don't have netflix you can catch her on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWrY77o77o.

I got a call from a prof I wanted to work with from UCLA a couple days ago congratulating me on my acceptance! I am VERY excited because UCLA is one of my top choices!!

Congrats keepswimming!! Which program did you apply to? I applied into their SSCE program.. maybe I will be lucky like you!

I am new here. This is my first post, but been lurking for a while.

First of all, While I am in the 'burbs, I got Chicago love. I have been accepted to the U of Iowa - my fourth choice. I am really hoping and praying for Michigan or Wiconsin. Has anyone heard anything from either of these Ed Policy programs?

Good luck to all!!

Congrats!!!!

LOL. Pardon me, I laugh not at your dream or your underlying fears (although I'm guessing it's no longer underlying for any of us lol), but at how we probably all share in this terrifying nail-biting experience. You're not alone!!! Sometimes, I want to sleep the month away so I can just wake up and check the results online, but it haunts me even in my sleep! Bah...

LOL I have to laugh too. It's getting pretty ridiculous at this point. I love all of the support from you guys. It's been keeping me relatively sane.

Phone interview scheduled with University of Wisconsin-Madison (Higher Ed Leadership & Policy) & second interview with USC (Higher Ed), both for PhD programs.

Yay!!! Good luck!

Hi everyone!

Congrats!!! UCLA is also one of my top choices. I can't wait to hear from them. I'm excited that they are getting back to people so soon!!

Me too! I'm reading the Hunger Games series (I'm a teacher and my students insisted I read this, especially since the movie is coming out - middle school logic) and I'm on the second book.

My supervisor just bought this book for me and gave it to me with a little note thanking me for my hard work and also wrote something about needing to take a break...So, yeah. I guess I have been letting the crazy show at work. :wacko:

Do I still continually check my status anyway? Absolutely.

I can't say I haven't done the same! This is such a nerve-wrecking and humbling experience. I take my dogs on multiple walks each day, hoping that while I'm out, I've missed a call or received an email. It's worse than any breakup I've been through!

Edited by keepswimming