Who's Applying for Fall 2012? Where are you Applying?

litjust

Hello all,

I'm applying as well. All of my application deadlines have officially passed so just waiting now *fingers crossed*. I'm interested in urban education & sociology. I've applied to....Penn GSE (Ed, Culture, & Societies); NYU (Sociology of Education); Columbia (Sociology & Education)...I'm considering applying to Temple (Urban Ed PhD) but their application deadline is in January so that seems a bit far off to me!

Good Luck!!!

I'm also applying to Berkeley, but to the LLC program within Language, Literacy, Society and Cultural Studies. Good luck to you!

Thanks, and to you as well! I was just about to bump this thread () for 2012 before I saw that you started this one, which is great for everyone. Zeus Leonardo would be a dream to work with. Really, really. And looks like admits might begin hearing late January/early Feb, according to survey stats?!

Thanks, and to you as well! I was just about to bump this thread () for 2012 before I saw that you started this one, which is great for everyone. Zeus Leonardo would be a dream to work with. Really, really. And looks like admits might begin hearing late January/early Feb, according to survey stats?!

Yes, he would be! I would want to work more closely with Glynda Hull. But of course we would have some opportunities to work with all faculty members outside of whoever our advisors will be. Berkeley is my dream school. Is it yours as well? It would be nice if we are there together; I like your interests.

Yes, he would be! I would want to work more closely with Glynda Hull. But of course we would have some opportunities to work with all faculty members outside of whoever our advisors will be. Berkeley is my dream school. Is it yours as well? It would be nice if we are there together; I like your interests.

Thanks. I'll cross my fingers for both of us! What are your research interests? I had to look up Hull, but she seems fantastic, too.

And yes, Berkeley's been my dream school since undergrad. First, by way of Rhetoric/Butler, but I came across Leonardo this fall, and given the school's policy which allows graduate applicants to apply to only one of their programs per admissions season, I felt like the GSE was a better fit. Finding a suitable program for my project has been a little insane, but Berkeley seems really spot-on.

I'm applying to Ph.D. programs in Higher Education and have applied to the following:

Penn, NYU, UCLA, USC, Wisconsin, Michigan, Texas, Arizona, & Utah.

It is amazing how competitive these programs are getting, best of luck to everyone.

My interests are specific to access, completion and public policy. For the past several years I've worked on grant-funded pipeline programs aimed at increasing the number of low-income and underrepresented students entering college. I am also interested in quantitative research methods. What are your interests?

I am applying to NC State University for their M.Ed program.

I would like to pursue a M.Ed in Elementary Education with a focus on literacy.

The deadline is May 1st for Fall 2012.

I plan to submit my application once my GRE scores are officially published (hopefully within the week).

May 1st seems awfully late to me. Is that the norm?

My interests are specific to access, completion and public policy. For the past several years I've worked on grant-funded pipeline programs aimed at increasing the number of low-income and underrepresented students entering college. I am also interested in quantitative research methods. What are your interests?

Very similar to yours. I'd like to explore higher ed access and attainment among first generation, low-income and underrepresented populations as an outcome of K-12/16 reform and the use of such information and academic research in ongoing ed policymaking. Your current work sounds very interesting. I'm currently working in higher ed administration.

Thanks. I'll cross my fingers for both of us! What are your research interests? I had to look up Hull, but she seems fantastic, too.

And yes, Berkeley's been my dream school since undergrad. First, by way of Rhetoric/Butler, but I came across Leonardo this fall, and given the school's policy which allows graduate applicants to apply to only one of their programs per admissions season, I felt like the GSE was a better fit. Finding a suitable program for my project has been a little insane, but Berkeley seems really spot-on.

Thanks! My research interests are grounded in social justice - critical literacy, urban schooling, anti-bias/anti-oppressive pedagogy, youth based organizations, and underrepresented student populations. I am primarily interested in researching writing instruction in school and out-of-school contexts in predominately urban settings. Berkeley seems fantastic!! I'm glad that you are applying to GSE, dispositif!

Thanks! My research interests are grounded in social justice - critical literacy, urban schooling, anti-bias/anti-oppressive pedagogy, youth based organizations, and underrepresented student populations. I am primarily interested in researching writing instruction in school and out-of-school contexts in predominately urban settings. Berkeley seems fantastic!! I'm glad that you are applying to GSE, dispositif!

Litjust, my interests are almost exactly identical to yours, except that I'm looking at all of that from a math literacy perspective. It's very exciting to meet people with somewhat similar interests :)

So I have been lurking on this thread for a minute, figured I would chime in since I am starting to get application fever. Really Im starting to freak out. I said to myself once I send it out, its out and I will put it in the back of my mind, but it has been hard to do. I keep saying, "I have to get in somewhere, right?" I don't know if that is true though.

Schools:

Stanford

USC

UCLA

WashU

PSU

UGA

ASU due Jan 15 2011 will submit Dec 30th

U of Oregon will submit Dec 30th

Program: PhD for all

Specialty:

Policy all the way.

FREAKING OUT!!!

Firebird, that is awesome!! I'm very excited to hear that those are your interests. Studying it from a math literacy perspective is critical. I'm intrigued :)

dm242, I'm glad you've shared!! Good luck to you!! Completely understood - I freak out on a daily basis! I hope we all get in somewhere.

Hi there!

Schools: HGSE, SUSE, USC

Program: EdD/PhD Higher Education and Urban Ed Policy

Good luck everyone!

Update 12/22: Director of USC's PhD program just emailed me last night. She says she thinks I'm a very good fit for the program and she wants to talk on the phone tonight! OMG!!! ><'' Fingers crossed. Wish me luck! (Wasn't aware USC had interviews? O.o?!)

Edited by hitomimay

abr2116 and hitomimay, what are your research interests in higher education? Here's to good news in 2012 for us all!

This is what I put on my application:

"I want to unearth the best method to implement college preparation into standardized curriculum for every grade starting with Kindergarten. I want to know how early introduction of college preparation and life skills will affect not only a child's self-efficacy, but their determination and readiness to attend college as well."

Good luck to you!

Update 12/22: Director of USC's PhD program just emailed me last night. She says she thinks I'm a very good fit for the program and she wants to talk on the phone tonight! OMG!!! ><'' Fingers crossed. Wish me luck! (Wasn't aware USC had interviews? O.o?!)

That's great news! Good luck!

That's awesome! Good luck tonight!

Awesome!! Let us know how it went :)

Update 12/23: So I had my phone conversation with the Director. Not an interview fortunately (those make me nervous!)

She says that while all my professor choices make sense, they may not be available for taking on new students as they already have around 9+ students. She suggested a number of other professors that I could expand my research interests towards and get back to her about it. How nerve-racking, but email sent. The good news is she said I was definitely a "very competitive applicant", so that puts some unease to rest (albeit surprising considering my background and experience)

For my fellow USC applicants: The Director of the PhD program looks over EVERYONE's application, and passes on ones that she recommends to the professors who will review them over Christmas break. Professors then will contact those they are interested in early January. Decisions will come out late January, early February. There's a fully-paid invitation for the 20 admitted students March 8/9 to meet and huddle, and they expect a cohort of 15.

Good luck again everyone. Keep us all posted on your application ventures. This stress and hive-of-bees (compared to butterflies) in our stomachs are definitely mutual lol.

I love that we're starting to have interaction and dialogue with our prospective programs! This is all so exciting!!

So, I'm one of these people who went on campus visits before applying and post applying (in the case of Madison) at the suggestion of one of my mentors. I've been in Madison for a few days meeting with a few professors and I love everything about the program, the people, and the environment. I feel like my original number one choice might be sliding down to second. There were many highlights of this trip -- one was spending an entire afternoon with a critical race theory/multicultural ed rockstar! Another was when a professor casually mentioned that several faculty members had already expressed interest in working with me. I hope we all receive offers in a few months!!

Edited by litjust