Who's Applying for Fall 2012? Where are you Applying?

litjust

Man I think I got an inadvertant rejection. I called one of my schools to inquire about my status and got "Thanks for calling, your file is complete." I asked what about final decisions when are they coming out. To which the person responded "YOU, will receive a decision at the end of March or end of April." Should I just go ahead and assume Im done at that school?

There are many disorganized programs out there so don't read too much into it until you get an official acceptance/rejection.

Congrats to all who've been accepted and good luck to those still waiting!! This month is half way over so the torture will end soon...

Does anyone know the status of the Vanderbilt Ed.D applications. Just curious about the timeline...

Congratulations on Arizona abr2116. I applied to the Vanderbilt HELP Ed.D. program. From last year's results, decisions come out in late March. I also have a colleague who is currently in his second year in the program. When he applied, he didn't receive a decision until late March. That said, when I submitted my application last fall and inquired about when decisions would be made, I was told that faculty begin reading applications in December and have a preliminary set of decisions regarding first round admits by mid-February. Information about financial aid awards is provided to this group in mid-March. However, faculty do hold off on decisions for some applicants until they have received a response from the first round admits, and it is not uncommon for subsequent (favorable) admission decisions to be rendered in the March/April timeframe. Good luck!!!

Hi y'all!

I am new to this, but needed to chat with someone and the hubby is bored with my endless chatter about grad programs!Last week I went to Austin and meet with a research team and professor for the program I applied for. The next day I set up an appointment to met with the director of the program. So... We met today! I am excited but nervous at the same time. She said I would be a wonderful fit, but she was concerned with my analytical writing score. She asked if there was anything I wanted to say about it. To that, I told her some about my experience with writing, my enormous text anxiety, and how I don't feel it is not reflective of what the professional writing experience is really like. I asked what I could do to overcompensate for this and she said I was doing it by showing my interest and scheduling to meet with faculty. Texas Special Ed does not have an interview process, she explained that all the committee

members rank the applicants and then they meet and basically barter for people!

So I asked if she would be my mentor and advisor if I get in and she said absolutely.

said they were meeting Monday to make decisions... And she can give me an idea later in the week. Anyone have any clue how much pull the head of the department has? She seemed to like me so, I am hoping she can override anyone who questions the score. I have my fingers, toes, hair, eyes, and

anything else crossed for luck!

Please excuse spelling... Darn autocorrect!

Edited by rpaulson30

Hey guys. I was away for the weekend- a friend got married on the beach! It was lovely, and I managed to forget about applications and grad school for a while. :)

Congratulations to all who have had good news, and good luck to everyone else!

I had a question- I'm getting a little nervous about one school I have applied to. I felt that my correspondence with a POI there had been very encouraging. Should I write to him now? And what do I say? I'm not even sure what the point of this email would be, but I feel like I need to know now what my chances at this school are. A little advice would help a lot!

Hey guys. I was away for the weekend- a friend got married on the beach! It was lovely, and I managed to forget about applications and grad school for a while. :)

Congratulations to all who have had good news, and good luck to everyone else!

I had a question- I'm getting a little nervous about one school I have applied to. I felt that my correspondence with a POI there had been very encouraging. Should I write to him now? And what do I say? I'm not even sure what the point of this email would be, but I feel like I need to know now what my chances at this school are. A little advice would help a lot!

Personally, I would wait. I know it's hard, but you've already reached out to him once. If he needs more information, I'd think he'd contact you again, especially since you've already corresponded before. Just my two cents. :)

Personally, I would wait. I know it's hard, but you've already reached out to him once. If he needs more information, I'd think he'd contact you again, especially since you've already corresponded before. Just my two cents. :)

I agree, just needed to hear it from someone else :) Thanks so much, wildviolet.

Hi everyone!!

Not sure if many of you applied to Northwestern, but just called them to check up on my application. They've admitted their first round of students and also sent out rejection notices. Those who haven't gotten a decision (via mail or website status) has been wait-listed.

Good luck!

Alright there is a huge lul in our action here. After two rejections last week, I for one am glad for the lul. Hopefully my next response is a "heall yeah" from my only CA option left. We shall see.

I received an offer from Emory today :D it's not my number one, but it comes with guaranteed funding for 5 years, including full tuition, a stipend, and health insurance; plus significant additional funds for travel to conferences and research expenses. This is a good start to my long weekend. I hope everyone keeps hearing positive news!

I received an offer from Emory today :D it's not my number one, but it comes with guaranteed funding for 5 years, including full tuition, a stipend, and health insurance; plus significant additional funds for travel to conferences and research expenses. This is a good start to my long weekend. I hope everyone keeps hearing positive news!

Congrats, litjust! Way to go!!!!! :D

Congrats!!!!

Hi everyone!!

Not sure if many of you applied to Northwestern, but just called them to check up on my application. They've admitted their first round of students and also sent out rejection notices. Those who haven't gotten a decision (via mail or website status) has been wait-listed.

Good luck!

Thanks for the update, keepswimming :) I can't wait to hear from them. Maybe I should call and ask them about the Learning Sciences admissions. Is there anyone else who has applied to NU's LS program?

Congratulations, Litjust! That sounds like a fantastic offer :D

And, by the way, I really love that Arundhati Roy quote, too.

Alright, I had to ask this stupid question, but I would really appreciate your input here:

So I applied to SUSE and HGSE for their PhD/EdD program. I was deferred to SUSE's Masters program (sadly assuming the same will occur for HGSE), and SUSE/HGSE are ranked #1 and #2 for Ed Policy, while USC is ranked #16 in Ed Policy. How much value does a Masters from a top tier program have in terms of finding better jobs in Ed Policy for the future comparatively to a PhD from USC?

I'm trying to decide on which program to go to this upcoming year, and while I'm heavily leaning towards the PhD program at USC, I'll seriously consider the SUSE/HGSE Masters program if most people say there's a huge value to them.

Potentially really stupid question, I realize, but I had to know... :( Thanks!

Alright, I had to ask this stupid question, but I would really appreciate your input here:

So I applied to SUSE and HGSE for their PhD/EdD program. I was deferred to SUSE's Masters program (sadly assuming the same will occur for HGSE), and SUSE/HGSE are ranked #1 and #2 for Ed Policy, while USC is ranked #16 in Ed Policy. How much value does a Masters from a top tier program have in terms of finding better jobs in Ed Policy for the future comparatively to a PhD from USC?

I'm trying to decide on which program to go to this upcoming year, and while I'm heavily leaning towards the PhD program at USC, I'll seriously consider the SUSE/HGSE Masters program if most people say there's a huge value to them.

If I'm understanding correctly, you're essentially trying to decide between a master's from a higher-ranked uni, and a doctorate from a lower-ranked uni (yes?).

If that's the case, I think your decision has to be based on what your long-term career goals look like. If you want to teach/work in a university, you're likely going to need to be called Doctor Hitomimay. ;) If you don't want to teach/work in a university, then you might be better off giving up being called Doctor in favour of a more highly respected institutional name.

If I'm understanding correctly, you're essentially trying to decide between a master's from a higher-ranked uni, and a doctorate from a lower-ranked uni (yes?).

If that's the case, I think your decision has to be based on what your long-term career goals look like. If you want to teach/work in a university, you're likely going to need to be called Doctor Hitomimay. ;) If you don't want to teach/work in a university, then you might be better off giving up being called Doctor in favour of a more highly respected institutional name.

Hitomimay,

I think Andsowego's point raises an important factor in your decision.

Two other things (at least) seem pertinent:

The first is, USC accepted you at the doctoral level, while Stanford didn't. That Stanford deferred

you doesn't necessarily say anything about how they feel about your potential. After all, they're a

ridiculously competitive institution. However, it seems to me that an acceptance from a still highly-

ranked institution should count for something. Additionally, if I recall correctly, USC interviewed

you several (?) times and seems pretty intent on bringing you in. I'm convinced that being wanted at

this level is actually quite valuable...

Second, USC has apparently offered you a pretty good financial package. I can't speak to Stanford's

Masters program, but do you anticipate funding from them? I'm all for getting paid to learn...

Ultimately, I don't think I have enough information about your situation/goals to give you really good

advice, but given what I do know -- and if I was in a similar situation -- I would go to the place that

seems to really dig me. I can't speak to the issue of value of institution name, but a free doctorate

sure isn't a bad thing to have... If USC would support you at the doctoral level, it seems you would

come out a better job candidate (again, presuming you're not aiming for academia -- if you are, I say

full Ph.D. steam ahead!) because of experience (and a higher level degree), not because of 14 spots

on a not unimportant, but still rather arbitrary (and always subject to change) ranking.

Good luck with your decision.

c.o.

Edited by criticalontology

Congratulations litjust! This is great news. Hope you land at your #1.

New here, but somewhat in the same boat.

I understand your dilemma. I was just accepted to Columbia at a master's level, rather than the PhD I applied for: same department, different track. However, their faculty for my interest is second to none. Though I have not received a firm word on a PhD acceptance from others, yet, I am seriously thinking, who cares? This is a rather large foot in the door to the best department for my focus, why not do another 30 credit masters and then the PhD. I assume this what you're thinking with the Stanford POLS masters.

I'm not too excited about the POLS possibility, myself. A nine month masters w/out funding seems kind of silly for me. However, if that is where you would like to end up for your eventual PhD, I can see that being a viable option/tryout.

*Not trying to take your USC spot. B)

Edited by Malachi Constant

I am not a doctoral applicant but from my experience an unfunded master's degree is not worth it. I understand Harvard and Stanford are considered the "holy grail" (for bragging rights) in education rankings but everything still comes down to funding and academic fit. If Harvard and Stanford don't offer you any funding, then it's a sign that they don't seriously want you. You may pursue the master's route for the name, but you will also end up with more ($60,000?) student loan debt. That is a lot of money, especially when graduate students are ineligible for subsidized Stafford loans this fall. My professor told me to go with the program that will give you the best funding, faculty, coursework, resources and environment to succeed.

Edited by michigan girl

I want to echo what others have said here... it depends on your career goals. Do you want to be a professor? Do you want to do research?

An unfunded Master's degree at Harvard or Stanford may not necessarily get you accepted into the doctoral program either.

The way I understand it, at the doctoral level, it's not so much about the reputation of the university as it is about the reputation of your adviser and specific program. For example, the College of Ed at MSU is not highly ranked overall (still Top 20), but the specific researchers I want to work with are successful (as evidenced by their publications, awards, grants, and positions as editors of respected journals) and highly regarded in the field. Also, they are able to place their students in tenure-track positions, which is what I ultimately want.

So, I guess you may want to do more research about USC and your potential advisers... see if you can find the names of recent graduates of the program and see where they are now. If they are doing what you want to do, then I see no reason to reject USC in favor of higher ranked schools. Ultimately, I think, the quality of work that you do at USC and your ability to speak and write cogently about your research will speak for itself. It's not an easy decision--good luck! :)

I'd go with USC all the way. My reasons are the same as what some others have mentioned here- especially this:

I would go to the place that seems to really dig me.

Also, I agree with Wildviolet that for doctoral programs, it's the reputation of your faculty adviser that really counts. From what you've told us, USC really loved you. I've always felt that poorly funded master's programs are how universities cash in on their reputation- I wouldn't recommend those to anyone. So I'd stay away from Harvard and Stanford. (I'm also not sure how much you'll be able to accomplish in 9 months. I can't imagine it will be very much.)