Who's Applying for Fall 2012? Where are you Applying?

litjust

I have been accepted into the University of Illinois Educational Policy Studies Program. Hoping to hear soon about funding. Apparently, my number 1 choice doles out the decisions next Monday - fingers have cramped from crossing them. Best to all.

"Personally, I don't think it might be the New Orleans thing. I know one of the POI's research is based off of the economics and reformation of the New Orleans school system. You can always call them and ask what it was, I know a lot of programs are more than happy to inform you of their reasoning so that you have a chance to "improve your application...etc" as they say. Don't give up! If you're passionate about it, stick it through! :D"

Hitomimay, I understand what you are saying and congratulate you, but I did my homework on the POI's before applying and the one you are referring to has done research work for/ grant writing for Tulane's Scott Cowen's Institute. Tulane's Scott Cowen Institute has written most of the research which has supported/fueled the privatization of the public schools in my city. Knowing I was taking a chance, in my SOP I clearly stated my opposition to the privatization of public schools. Maybe a few points on the GRE would have helped, but my score was way above their average; there was no way for me to "improve my application!"

I wonder if this was the issue? Not that you're against the grain, but that you stated it unequivocally without room for critical questioning through research. As someone who has sat on their uni's admissions committee as the PhD rep, I can tell you that an unbending point of view doesn't always sit well with an admissions committee, and it can sometimes come across as arrogant. You might have been better off taking an inquisitive stance, rather than a predetermined one. If you already "know" the answer to the school privatization debate, why bother researching it?

bigred65 -- Thanks! I used to live in Long Beach and I love the OC beach towns closr by, so I think i'll be really happy in Irvine! :)

And Hitomimay -- I don't think there's any reason we can't have coffee! In face, it might be cool to arrange a Fall semester meetup for anyone who got into any program in the greater LA area in Ed. That way we could all ge to know eachother and chat about our classes and profs and cohorts together, since we'll be collegues someday anyway.

Just got my decision from PennGSE. They called on Friday, but officially accepted via website today!

Congrats!!!! I also love your name, by the way. It reminds me of myself and my crazy bachelorette eating habits ;)

TexanLex

Hey TexanLex, just thought I should speak up since you may have seen my posting but I applied to a different program so maybe not...? I was accepted into the M.S.Ed for International Educational Development on the 30th of November but I only found out when someone from the program e-mailed me around the first week of December haha I checked my app status and sure enough...but UPenn GSE didn't e-mail me to check my app status until mid-December! I applied pretty early in October or so and since UPenn is rolling, I heard back super early. I suggest you keep checking your UPenn status, you just never know! :)

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! I'll be checking furiously over the next week or so haha. My application wasn't officially complete until late January, so I guess I understand the wait.

They also said that the 4-week count down started when your application materials have been sent for faculty review. I got the decision a little after 4 weeks since I got their email regarding the faculty review process. Good luck to you!

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! I'll be checking furiously over the next week or so haha. My application wasn't officially complete until late January, so I guess I understand the wait.

Congrats!!!! I also love your name, by the way. It reminds me of myself and my crazy bachelorette eating habits ;)

Thanks!! Yeah, I currently work at a hotel and we have to have cookies out at all times, so too many nights, I end up having at least one cookie (but usually more) for dinner!

Mine was about 5 weeks until I heard anything. and then even then, I didn't get an email saying that the status had changed online.

Congrats to all those who have heard good news!! Hugs and love to those that are still waiting :)

Don't you just hate when a school says that they will release a decision late Feb/early March? Do they not know that's a 14 day window for me to pensively wait?

I wish there was something to speed the waiting process. I mean, hugs are great, but it would be so cool if someone in this forum had a magic wand that could speed up time or some fairy dust that would blast me into April. Hmm, I wonder what will suffice in the meantime? Maybe chocolate. I could go for some brownies right now ^_^

@litjust: You havent heard from UWM yet...Im super surprised.

Yeah I hear you guys, Im dying for the rest of my results, I check the status pages all to often.

I still have four to go, one of which I have a very good connection with, one of which will probably be another and hopefully my last rejection. So that leaves two limbo schools one of which has quickly become my number one choice based on some rejections and tentative rejection. I dont think Im making sense but I know this board knows what I mean. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Hitomimay -- I don't think there's any reason we can't have coffee! In face, it might be cool to arrange a Fall semester meetup for anyone who got into any program in the greater LA area in Ed. That way we could all ge to know eachother and chat about our classes and profs and cohorts together, since we'll be collegues someday anyway.

Sounds awesome to me! I'm totally down. Anyone else care to join? :P

And congrats to everyone on their recent admits. We're almost at the halfway point to everyone one still waiting on the rest of our decisions! :D

I wish there was something to speed the waiting process. I mean, hugs are great, but it would be so cool if someone in this forum had a magic wand that could speed up time or some fairy dust that would blast me into April. Hmm, I wonder what will suffice in the meantime? Maybe chocolate. I could go for some brownies right now ^_^

Times like these that I wish I still had my princess costume from my childhood Halloweens. That wand could definitely come in handy right about now...

Congrats on the admit yumpeh!

Edited by lilgreycells

dm242, why so surprised? The secretary told me by the end of the month. I also heard from my POI about a week ago and she said she had a feeling that we would be chatting again soon. Another prof who's not at Madison told me that she had heard positive things from a few profs there about an acceptance for me, but I sitill have not heard anything official. Come on C&I. The suspense is too much!

Congrats to all who recently received good news!!!

Penn ppl- Did your Application Status go from Submitted to Admitted? I'm not sure where I should be looking on the website to know whether they have made a decision. Help!

Hi FutureEdStudent12,

Mine still says "submitted". When there is a decision available, it will be at the bottom of the page, after the "Test Scores" section. You can click the link

there to see the result. Good luck to you!

Congrats to all who recently received good news!!!

Penn ppl- Did your Application Status go from Submitted to Admitted? I'm not sure where I should be looking on the website to know whether they have made a decision. Help!

Hi FutureEdStudent12,

Mine still says "submitted". When there is a decision available, it will be at the bottom of the page, after the "Test Scores" section. You can click the link

there to see the result. Good luck to you!

Thank you!!! Still no decision :( . But I'm only on week 4...

Man I think I got an inadvertant rejection. I called one of my schools to inquire about my status and got "Thanks for calling, your file is complete." I asked what about final decisions when are they coming out. To which the person responded "YOU, will receive a decision at the end of March or end of April." Should I just go ahead and assume Im done at that school?