Good GRE study books?

Kevin1990

It kind of depends on what areas you think you're weak in. If you just want to familiarize yourself with the test format, the official book by ETS is good for that. For vocab, which is my stronger area, I just used the Kaplan 500 words flashcard set. I also liked the Princeton Review Crash Course for the GRE book because it's small and portable. And for me, personally, I'm weaker in math, so I really liked the Cliff Notes Math Review for Standardized Tests.

It kind of depends on what areas you think you're weak in. If you just want to familiarize yourself with the test format, the official book by ETS is good for that. For vocab, which is my stronger area, I just used the Kaplan 500 words flashcard set. I also liked the Princeton Review Crash Course for the GRE book because it's small and portable. And for me, personally, I'm weaker in math, so I really liked the Cliff Notes Math Review for Standardized Tests.

I'm very weak in math that much I know. The writing section I'm worried about but I think I should do decently, and the vocab I feel good about but I should review. So I'm looking for a good overall study guide that touches on everything.

I've already added the ETS guide, along with the Barron's Words for the GRE.

I guess I'll get the Princeton book also.

I'm very weak in math that much I know. The writing section I'm worried about but I think I should do decently, and the vocab I feel good about but I should review. So I'm looking for a good overall study guide that touches on everything.

I've already added the ETS guide, along with the Barron's Words for the GRE.

I guess I'll get the Princeton book also.

ETS guide will almost certainly be your best bet. I've worked with Kaplan and Princeton Review, and the quality of the passages (RC) and questions was very low. They're certainly worth getting simply for the mental practice and the familiarity it will bring, but your ark will definitely be the ETS guide. I'd recommend that you make COPIES of all of the practice questions in the ETS book (don't write in it) and then re-take the practice tests and question sets 2-3 times each (basically until you're getting a perfect score).

I agree with Starbuck -- ETS is your best bet. I even looked at old versions of ETS books, just for extra practice. Also, this may sound funny -- but I practiced with IQ tests, too. I know it's not related, but the speed and out-of-the-box thinking that those tests require helped sharpen me for the GRE. My strategy worked! I got the GRE scores I wanted. I also DRILLED vocabulary, and was ruthless about looking up every word I didn't know for months. The RC passages of PR and Kaplan are sometimes odd, or the questions/answers are flat out wrong, imo. I disagree with some of their strategies, too. Many of the take waaaaayyy too much time. All that to say, they're still worth looking over. Just because they didn't help me doesn't mean they won't help you! Good luck!

If you want to prepare thoroughly for the GRE and have some cash to spare, you should get:

1. As many of Manhattan GRE's workbooks as possible and their online practice test package. Manhattan GRE's material is outstanding for the most part.

2. The official ETS guide (it comes with powerprep)

3. Any of a number of small vocab books from several different companies. Also consider Barron's guide to the old GRE, which has the biggest list by far.

4. Nova's material for the old test, in particular their math review. It is exhaustive and will help out a bunch, especially if you're a high scorer because there are lots of challenging problems.

And that's really all you should need. No company but MGRE/ETS has put out a respectable full guide to the revised test yet. Barron's new stuff is unimpressive but probably the best of the "other" material.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are weak in math, I HIGHLY recommend the Manhattan GRE books. There are more of them so they are more expensive than buying a one volume book like Kaplan. But I am horrible at math and they have helped me a TON so far. I don't know about my score as I don't take the GRE til later this month, but my scores in practice tests have gone way up since using them. Buy them on Amazon and you'll get them for about half off. And then you could probably even re-sell them later to make some of your money back! Also, the online practice tests come with the purchase of a book and they have been very helpful for me as well.

I took the old version of the GRE, but here's what worked for me:

For the quant section, my Kaplan prep class was extremely helpful. If you don't want to pay for a class, maybe look into buying a used course book online (the course book outlines the strategies taught in the class, along with TONS of difficult practice problems). Also, ETS powerprep online practice tests did a great job of predicting my quant score. My quantitative scores on 2 practice tests I took were within 10 points of my real score. These online practice tests will also prepare you for the timing of the section, which is key to getting a high score.

I should also add that my scores on the verbal powerprep practice tests were WAY different than my real score. In my opinion, there is more luck involved on the verbal section (aka you happen to be given words you know). Kaplan flashcards are the best prep for verbal. Learn those 500 first, then use Barron's for more obscure words if you have time.

A bit unconventional but if you want to get the hardest maths questions right and know anyone with a GMAT book, might be worth working through some of those too (although ignore the data sufficiency questions). I studied for the GMAT first for about a month and was really struggling to get a good maths score, switched to GRE and all the skills i'd learnt were applicable and the question format was like a breath of fresh air after GMAT stuff.

I can't recommend The Princeton Review to anyone. I began using it as part of a study group -- until I found several errors in a math section answer key. It seemed like they were in such a rush to publish a guide for the new test that they didn't completely proofread. Students study incredibly hard for these tests and they are stressful enough without confusing yourself because your guide provided erroneous answers to practice questions.

After ditching TPR I used the ETS book and the CATPrep online software, and I scored above 85% on both sections.

Nova's GRE Math Prep Course for the New GRE I found was much, much more rigorous than Barron's or ETS' official guide, the other two I bought. It had like 10x more math content (Though it's strictly math).

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it. It is definitely overkill (i.e. you will be doing much tougher math in that book than on the test).

In fact once you take the test you might even be pissed the harder stuff isn't on there (so you beat out the other test takers) but wouldn't you rather have overkill than underkill?

I know there are mixed reviews on it, but I liked the Princeton Review's GRE prep book (the newest one for 2012). It was annoying there were only 2 full practice tests in it, but the explanations are really good. The tone isn't scholarly at all, it's easy to read but gets the point across. I found the problems (in verbal and math) to be more difficult than on the actual GRE itself... for me though this was a good thing!

I used the $40 Kaplan book along with its CD, the free ETS math guide and the free ETS Powerprep software.

Sure the Kaplan book and CD had a couple of errors, but they were obvious and didn't affect my preparation for the exam.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Everyone should buy the Official Guide from ETS, it's the only source of questions from the makers of the GRE.  Other than that, there's a lot of noise out there when it comes to buying GRE books, especially since the test changed in Aug. 2011 and many books were rushed to print before that date without knowing all the details of the new exam.  Manhattan GRE, while on the expensive side if you buy the entire set, is a good bet. 

Hope that helps!

Personally, I bought multiple books. This truly helps, as some books emphasize some things more than others. I also spent about 8 months studying. So if you plan to put significant time into it then you will definitely want more than one.

I had variations of ETS, Kaplan, Princeton, Barron's, as well as Barron's book for Verbal, Kaplan's book for Quant, and Kaplan/Barron flashcards.

Even though this thread is old and was bumped up by a testing company (though Magoosh is cool--I love their free downloads and Youtube videos!), I'll share my favorites:

Princeton Review's Cracking the GRE: This book is all about tips, tricks, and quick-and-dirty review and practice. I highly recommend it, especially if you're crunched for time or don't need in-depth study/review so much as you need an idea of how to approach the test most effectively.

Barron's Six Practice Tests: This book contains straightforward, relevant practice tests that match the current GRE material, including the recent increase of stats/probability in the quant section. It is up-to-date and incredibly helpful.

And don't forget the GRE website or Powerprep--they're both valuable resources.

Hi Everyone,

I'm helping my friends test a new study aide for the GRE Vocab. It's based on mnemonics (audio and visual learning). I was wondering if anyone would be interested in checking it out?

There's a 10 minute survey that asks some general information on your background as a GRE taker, plus you get to try the app and give your feedback. If anyone is interested, please let me know! Or you can check it out here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PicmGRE

Let me know what your feedback is either way, it would be greatly appreciated.

The only time you should get a Princeton Review is when you have very little time and need to cram. Otherwise, the Quant questions are 1) way too easy, and 2) sometimes explained and solve in plainly wrong ways.

• 2 weeks later...

The official ETS guide is really the best!! Combine that with some vocab flash cards and you should be fine. The Kaplan prep books were a waste of time for me, especially the quantitative. I think you would be underprepared if you used Kaplan. Honestly, I psyched myself out and bought loads of prep materials. I realized all I needed was the ETS and some vocab refreshers. 

I just bought the 8 book set of Manhattan's. It's much cheaper on amazon than through the actual company. I also bought their 5lb book of questions and the ETS guide, along with Barron's flashcards. I'll report back when I get everything!