SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

Well, turns out Canada Post delivered my mail to a neighbour's house, but the neighbour was kind enough to bring the mail over in the evening. Turns out I've been waitlisted, though with a comparatively good score just below some of the successful applicants. I'm going to accept my OGS offer, though I'll have it start in September, just in case I am lucky enough to get off the waitlist.

I came home to find some mixed news: I've been wait-listed. So, barring some miracle, I guess I will be trying again next year.  

Thanks for all the support and kind wishes on this thread. Congrats to all the successful applicants and best wishes to everyone! 

Hang in there aselfmadewinter and Carthage32! Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping your turn will come soon enough! You might think about emailing SSHRC and asking how many waitlisted applicants were upgraded to 'successful' last year, just to have an idea about the odds, since I know they won't tell you your rank on the waitlist.

Received my letter in the mail in Kingston yesterday. I've been waitlisted for a SSHRC.

I'm not familiar with the waitlist process. Does anyone know how it works? Is my score an indication of where I am on the list? Can anyone give me an idea of how to interpret the score?

Thanks!

Oh, and if you are accepted for an unfunded SSHRC, can you put that on your c.v.?

Usually people put 'unfunded' scholarships on their CV but write something like "declined" next to the award.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that being waitlisted doesn't count as an unfunded award. Unfunded would mean that you were offered the award but for some reason you didn't receive it (i.e., you declined it for a different award or you ended up going into a program that you couldn't use the award for).

Edited by randomness

I think you can only list an award on your CV if you have successfully received it and then declined it, for whatever reason. Unfunded basically means you were not successful: waitlisted or "recommended but not funded," but could potentially be granted an award if someone declines theirs. Here is what SSHRC website says about this:

"This means that your application was ranked highly enough for your name to be placed on a list of candidates recommended for an award in the event that additional funds become available, but that you have not received an award. In the event that a Doctoral Award is declined, SSHRC will use the waiting list / recommended but not funded list to replace the original recipient with an alternate. These lists are committee-specific. Should an award become available, SSHRC will contact the next eligible alternate candidate by email."

There are other FAQs on SSHRC's website at http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/apply-demande/faqs-questions_frequentes/doctoral_awards-bourses_de_doctorat-eng.aspx

Is my score an indication of where I am on the list?

Only in comparison to others on the waitlist in the same selection committee. That being said, all other waitlisted committee 5's please PM me!

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/apply-demande/background-renseignements/doctoral_committees-comites_doctorat-eng.aspx

Congrats to those who were successful and condolences to those who were not. You'll get them next time! Plus maybe SSHRC will email PhD results next year like they did with MA results this year and eliminate the obsessive mailbox-checking.
For reference, I won the 20k fellowship as well with a score of 13.4.

Morning y'all,

Long time lurker here, who finally decided to post something. Letters finally made it down south to Tennessee. Received a 15.3/20 and was awarded 20k/3 years from category B. Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences and congratulations to all who were successful. For those that didn't receive an award, don't give up hope. I was rejected twice (as in didn't even make it to the next round) from SSHRC before being successful this time around.

Out of curiosity, were you successful, philwomen2014? I ask because I was waitlisted with a score slightly lower than that.

Yes, I received the smaller SSHRC and will be taking it abroad. 

Edited by philwomen2014

Got my letter on the east coast yesterday! This thread helped keep me sane during my last few weeks of waiting!

I was awarded the four-year "B" SSHRC with a score of 13.2. Did I read properly in this thread that someone with a score of 13.4 was awarded CGS and another person, also with 13.4, was awarded the "B" scholarship? Did everyone applying before the start of their PhD who got a score above 13.4 get a CGS?

Thanks everyone and congratulations to you all!

Edited by lighthouse

Hey lighthouse- I think it depends what category of scholarship you're doing. For example, a 13 might be CGS material in history, but not in literature, or some such.... which does make our habit of sharing our scores a little bit of a moot point. Though there is an undeniable satisfaction to it...