2015 Ecology/Evolution/Organismal/Marine Biology Applicants

Enhydra

That's too bad, katsharki3! I feel your pain. My rejections so far have been from schools where there wasn't as good of a research fit, but I was still disappointed that I didn't even make the cut for an interview. 

I guess I'm waitlisted at UNC... not officially, but the website says if you don't get invited to the interview weekend, you can be waitlisted. Since I haven't been rejected yet, I'm just going to go with that :P UTK is my top choice, and I'm really bummed that I didn't get an invite to the recruitment weekend (which is coming up in a few days). I don't know if interviews are a requirement, because they have zero information about the weekend on the website and to be honest, I'm scared to e-mail my POI about it. I keep hoping that I'll end up like sfrie and be accepted without an interview.

My prospects now seem best so far at OSU and FIU, but will probably come down to funding. Funding at both schools comes from TA positions or presidential fellowships (which I highly doubt I would receive with my dubious undergrad record), or alternatively an external fellowship like the NSF GRFP. I feel like I must be a good enough candidate at most of my remaining schools to not immediately be rejected, but perhaps I am not at the top of the list. Winning the GRFP would probably snag me an immediate admission to most of these programs, so I'm reeeaaally hoping I get it. I'm also hoping that their first choices all pick somewhere else, making an opening for me. I feel like that's a crappy thing to wish for and a crappy way to get into a program, but an acceptance is an acceptance, even if I am the second or third choice. 

I had a Skype interview with my POI last week. The POI said they would give me an update this week (it's Wednesday, so 2 more days and I'll assume complete rejection).  So, even if it's good news, I'm not sure how planning a trip that quickly wouldn't be practical. I thought someone in this thread said the EEB weekend wasn't until the 27th or so. Anyway, the interview didn't seem to go very well (had personal issues on my end leading up to the interview time, also, overall tone of the interview) so I don't expect to hear anything positive back anyways. Messing up the interview was really disheartening though, since UNC is such a great school and was my "reach." I haven't heard anything formal from the department or school either since I submitted the application.  But since my application was forwarded to the POI, I feel that your POI should have some information as well for you to email them about.

Edited by ineedanak

There are barely any EEOB (or other related programs) acceptance/rejection postings! Is this because there are not many EEOBers on grad cafe or are EEOB admissions committees slower then everyone else? Uggghhhh the waiting is killing me! 

Well, considering that this thread began because the handful of EEB applicants were getting lost in the fury of biomed/neuroscience/comp bio/neuroscience/immunology/neuroscience/neuroscience/neuroscience of the main "2015 Profiles" thread, should be your answer.  

We are the outliers, the ones that even biology students look at and think, "geek".  

And that EEB programs tend to do things a little bit later in the cycle, too.  

Well, considering that this thread began because the handful of EEB applicants were getting lost in the fury of biomed/neuroscience/comp bio/neuroscience/immunology/neuroscience/neuroscience/neuroscience of the main "2015 Profiles" thread, should be your answer.  

We are the outliers, the ones that even biology students look at and think, "geek".  

And that EEB programs tend to do things a little bit later in the cycle, too.  

Hahahaha, you speak the truth. Though I prefer " Nerd."

I know I am being impatient but I am going on 3 weeks post interview without word on acceptance/rejection and my patience is dwindling. 

I know I am being impatient but I am going on 3 weeks post interview without word on acceptance/rejection and my patience is dwindling. 

My patience too is dwindling after my interview... :( But 3 weeks! You definitely have my sympathies kjc!

I heard that when it comes to final admission decisions after a formal interview/site visit, the POI usually does a quick job once they make a decision on your application, but it's the adcom that can be really slow with the progress/paperwork processing, etc... 

I always made a mental distinction between nerd and geek. I doubt it's valid, but I always thought of a nerd as someone who could explain the science behind something they were into (i.e. the plausibility of different spaceship designs in scifi shows, the evolutionary adaptations for flight in birds). A geek instead is someone who is really passionate about something (i.e. space operas, bird watching) but isn't necessarily interested in the science behind it. I have no idea where this distinction came from.

My patience too is dwindling after my interview... :( But 3 weeks! You definitely have my sympathies kjc!

I heard that when it comes to final admission decisions after a formal interview/site visit, the POI usually does a quick job once they make a decision on your application, but it's the adcom that can be really slow with the progress/paperwork processing, etc... 

What's worse is the people/program totally won my heart. So now I'm over here, of course, imagining the worst. All my POI said was that she would keep me posted "in the coming weeks." If I don't hear by next week I'm gonna find an interesting article to send her so she can see me in her inbox without having to be overtly pesky! 

I always made a mental distinction between nerd and geek. I doubt it's valid, but I always thought of a nerd as someone who could explain the science behind something they were into (i.e. the plausibility of different spaceship designs in scifi shows, the evolutionary adaptations for flight in birds). A geek instead is someone who is really passionate about something (i.e. space operas, bird watching) but isn't necessarily interested in the science behind it. I have no idea where this distinction came from.

I see the difference, and for whatever reason it makes sense. I have made a similar completely unwarranted, but logical to me, distinction: I think of nerds as scholarly types and geeks as more technology/gaming/computer type people. Though those aren't mutually exclusive and I mean neither in a negative way. Also, I too have no idea why I have made that distinction. Lol! 

I see the difference, and for whatever reason it makes sense. I have made a similar completely unwarranted, but logical to me, distinction: I think of nerds as scholarly types and geeks as more technology/gaming/computer type people. Though those aren't mutually exclusive and I mean neither in a negative way. Also, I too have no idea why I have made that distinction. Lol! 

I think the distinction in my mind was that nerds were people into nerdy pop-culture, e.g. comic books, gaming, etc, while geeks were people who were really passionate about a particular subject. I count myself in both camps so I'm not sure where that distinction came from.

I received a rejection from one of my top choices this morning--my first one. Surprisingly, when I read the email I felt relief instead of sadness--I think because I knew this place was a long shot and I was afraid of being stuck in waiting list purgatory for months and still being rejected in the end. This way, I know the result and can move forward. It helps that I was accepted to my other top choice, too. ^_^

And with that result, I think I'm ready to make a final decision! Deciding between the two schools I was accepted at was quite difficult, but after campus visits it was pretty apparent which program was right for me. I still have two schools that I haven't heard from, but at this point I don't think an acceptance from either one would change my mind. Does anyone know the proper procedure for withdrawing an application before the program has sent out results?

I received a rejection from one of my top choices this morning--my first one. Surprisingly, when I read the email I felt relief instead of sadness--I think because I knew this place was a long shot and I was afraid of being stuck in waiting list purgatory for months and still being rejected in the end. This way, I know the result and can move forward. It helps that I was accepted to my other top choice, too. ^_^

And with that result, I think I'm ready to make a final decision! Deciding between the two schools I was accepted at was quite difficult, but after campus visits it was pretty apparent which program was right for me. I still have two schools that I haven't heard from, but at this point I don't think an acceptance from either one would change my mind. Does anyone know the proper procedure for withdrawing an application before the program has sent out results?

There should be a head of the graduate committee or a graduate program coordinator listed on the department's website that you contact. If in doubt, the department secretary can tell you exactly who to contact. Send them a short email thanking them for the consideration of your application and that you would like to withdraw it.

I know that when I declined offers to other masters programs after I accepted an offer, they requested the name of the school I chose and why I chose it. I'm not sure if they will want the same info since you didn't receive an offer from them yet, but they may appreciate knowing where you chose.

Also, congrats on making your decision! You must be so happy to know exactly where you'll be for the next several years.

Edited by shadowclaw

Just finished talking on the phone with my potential PI at University of New England. It seemed to go okay? But in general I get very nervous talking on the phone and I am really hoping I made a good impression. While UNE is not my first choice (I think after 4 years in Hawaii I might find Maine winters to be way too cold), his lab does offer really amazing opportunities to collaborate with other students and other labs on projects, as well as the chance to mentor his undergraduate students on their projects.

I've been anxious for the past six months since I started working on graduate applications. But after that phone call (my first phone call with an advisor after I had submitted an application), my anxiety has just skyrocketed 1000%.  :unsure:

I get really nervous on the phone, too! For me, it's an anxiety thing. I get very anxious when talking to people I don't know well, and for some reason phones make it worse. I'd rather text someone than call them up, and I love when restaurants have online ordering for take out.

I had two interviews directly with POIs prior to applying (one Skype and one phone), and I honestly felt really good afterwards. For a few days, I definitely kept thinking about parts that didn't go as well as I wanted (like completely blanking out when asked about GIS experience). However, once I stopped focusing on the negative bits, I felt really good about my chances.

I think it's safe to say that as long as you know you didn't blow the interview and the POI sounded positive, you have a really good shot at an acceptance.

I get really nervous on the phone, too! For me, it's an anxiety thing. I get very anxious when talking to people I don't know well, and for some reason phones make it worse. I'd rather text someone than call them up, and I love when restaurants have online ordering for take out.

I had two interviews directly with POIs prior to applying (one Skype and one phone), and I honestly felt really good afterwards. For a few days, I definitely kept thinking about parts that didn't go as well as I wanted (like completely blanking out when asked about GIS experience). However, once I stopped focusing on the negative bits, I felt really good about my chances.

I think it's safe to say that as long as you know you didn't blow the interview and the POI sounded positive, you have a really good shot at an acceptance.

Thanks for the reassurance. He sounded positive and interested , but of course I'm sure the applications are still undergoing departmental and university review and funding is probably still in question, so he's not going to offer me an acceptance just now. And I know he said he was still narrowing down from 4-6 potential grad students to the 2 he will be able to accept into his lab.

And I don't know what it is with me and phones, but I'm the kind of person who hates talking on the phone for any reason, even if that reason is ordering pizza. The only time I like talking on the phone is when I talk to my parents. I've gotten much better over the past four years of undergrad, probably because I've taken on my own "adult" responsibilities, such as needing to talk on the phone to fix credit card stuff, make doctor appointments, book reservations, etc. But if given the choice, I would so much rather talk to someone either in person or over e-mail. I really, really do not like phone conversations. 

Also, congrats on making your decision! You must be so happy to know exactly where you'll be for the next several years.

Thank you! It feels really good. :D

. While UNE is not my first choice (I think after 4 years in Hawaii I might find Maine winters to be way too cold), his lab does offer really amazing opportunities to collaborate with other students and other labs on projects, as well as the chance to mentor his undergraduate students on their projects.

Just make sure to bundle up. :) Did he give you any indication when you'd hear back?

And I don't know what it is with me and phones, but I'm the kind of person who hates talking on the phone for any reason, even if that reason is ordering pizza. The only time I like talking on the phone is when I talk to my parents. I've gotten much better over the past four years of undergrad, probably because I've taken on my own "adult" responsibilities, such as needing to talk on the phone to fix credit card stuff, make doctor appointments, book reservations, etc. But if given the choice, I would so much rather talk to someone either in person or over e-mail. I really, really do not like phone conversations. 

I'm the same way. I *hate* talking on the phone.

Edited by Enhydra

Since UTK's interview weekend has come and gone, I decided to contact my POI to get an update on the admissions process. As I feared, the interview weekend was for all top candidates (not just those they were unsure about), and since I wasn't invited, I am obviously not a top candidate. Admission offers haven't gone out yet, but she said I am unlikely to be offered admission since I didn't make the cut for interviews.

So unless several prospective students really blew their interviews or choose other admissions offers when the time comes, I can kiss that program goodbye. That makes me so sad! I really wanted to work with that professor.

I still have high hopes for OSU and FIU, though.

I'm a little late to the party (having just discovered this website and forums) but I'm so glad I found this thread!!

Does anyone have any idea what 'early March' is?  I am supposed to know 'Late February, early March'.  I know I made the finalist round for admission, but that was three weeks ago.  So I am assuming I should hear literally any day now.

I'm a little late to the party (having just discovered this website and forums) but I'm so glad I found this thread!!

Does anyone have any idea what 'early March' is?  I am supposed to know 'Late February, early March'.  I know I made the finalist round for admission, but that was three weeks ago.  So I am assuming I should hear literally any day now.

Early March is usually between March 1st - 11th, from my past experience when applying for Master's (if I remember correctly). Yes, for your application status, it could be any day for you but keep in mind that it's possible for delay processing to occur (many universities experience this especially when they receive far more applications than the previous years). Thus if not early March you could wait until mid or even late March.

Does anyone know if there are doctoral programs that do interview visits or is that a standard across the board?

Many programs have their interview/recruitment days or weekends to invites top applicants but some don't. Which programs did you apply for?

Edited by FoggyAnhinga

Well, my application season may not be going that well, but at least my summer job search is bearing fruit. I got phone interviews for 3 of the 4 bird jobs I applied to, and I already have a job offer. Which I plan to take. It's a cool project associated with the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, which I think will look super awesome on future grad school applications if this year doesn't work out.

So at least I'm employable :)

I guess this is the month I'll find out about my future. I hope I start hearing from my remaining programs either way.

Hi everyone - I hope you are doing well!!

I just found out that I've been accepted into Duke Ecology! I went to the first weekend for interviews.

Good luck to everyone this application cycle and beyond!