Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

17 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

I emailed them yesterday to ask, ready to hear that I had been rejected. They are hoping to send out the rest of the interview invitations this week! They've sent out less than half at this point.

Okay, that helps put my mind at ease a bit, thanks!

4 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Really discouraged to hear about UTHealth having sent interviews out. That's my top choice and I haven't received anything yet :/

Don't be disappointed yet! They're coming out in waves this week. :)

3 hours ago, Cricket643 said:

Hi all! I am new to this forum - I've been following it for about a week, but decided it's about time I post something.

Congratulations to those of you who have been offered interviews! And I'm sorry and can empathize with those of you who didn't receive any interviews. I applied to 3 programs last year and did not receive any interviews, so I know how it feels! :(

For those that have mentioned not hearing back from UofT yet, I also haven't heard anything either way (interview or rejection). I was offered an interview at UBC and signed up in the online poll, but my date and time has not yet been confirmed either. I emailed them today to find out when they will send out confirmations. 

I have also heard nothing from UofT, for those of you who are wondering. If they are following the same schedule as last year, then UofT should extending interview offers very soon! As far as UBC goes, I sent them an email on Monday to ask when they will be sending us a confirmation email, and they responded that it will be sometime this week. 

Anyone who applied to South Florida. I am so confused. I had an emailing saying my application was in review and when I log into SOPHAS it says I am verified and paid, but where it says "submit application" is says 0!!! Is this the same for anyone else? I am so nerve wracked right now. I also applied to Bay Path and submitted my personal statement, but when I emailed today to check on the status she said she did not have my personal statement, despite the fact that when I log in, it's on there....

4 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

Anyone who applied to South Florida. I am so confused. I had an emailing saying my application was in review and when I log into SOPHAS it says I am verified and paid, but where it says "submit application" is says 0!!! Is this the same for anyone else? I am so nerve wracked right now. I also applied to Bay Path and submitted my personal statement, but when I emailed today to check on the status she said she did not have my personal statement, despite the fact that when I log in, it's on there....

Hey! Did you complete the supplemental application?! I've been checking my status on this site:
https://www.grad.usf.edu/sonic3/status.php 

That's where they say to check your status. I haven't checked SOPHAS in forever and I don't have access on my work computer but I'll check mine on my phone when I go on break. My status on that website says something about me needing to submit a SOPHAS application but when I emailed them and asked they told me that my application is under review and they'll let me know of a decision as soon as they can.

26 minutes ago, robyn94 said:

I have also heard nothing from UofT, for those of you who are wondering. If they are following the same schedule as last year, then UofT should extending interview offers very soon! As far as UBC goes, I sent them an email on Monday to ask when they will be sending us a confirmation email, and they responded that it will be sometime this week. 

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it will be sometime this week, as I didn't want to book my flight until my date/time is confirmed.

4 minutes ago, Cricket643 said:

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it will be sometime this week, as I didn't want to book my flight until my date/time is confirmed.

No problem. I'm in the same boat! Also, I noticed in your signature that you have an interview at Manitoba... if you don't mind me asking, when did they get back to you?

6 minutes ago, robyn94 said:

No problem. I'm in the same boat! Also, I noticed in your signature that you have an interview at Manitoba... if you don't mind me asking, when did they get back to you?

Of course I don't mind you asking :)! U of M emailed me Monday morning with the interview offer 

Edited by Cricket643

8 minutes ago, Cricket643 said:

Of course! U of M emailed me Monday morning with the interview offer 

I just checked my application page and realized that one of my referees never submitted their letter of recommendation, which is probably why I have not heard from Manitoba :( It was the last school I applied to, and I was so happy to be done with applications that I forgot to remind my referee so I guess it's partly my fault. Damn it. 

Edited by robyn94

3 minutes ago, robyn94 said:

I just checked my application page and realized that one of my referees never submitted their letter of recommendation, which is probably why I have not heard from Manitoba :( It was the last school I applied to, and I so happy to be done with applications that I forgot to remind my referee so it's partly my fault. Damn it. 

Oh man, that's frustrating :( Sorry that happened to you. 

The good news is that it looks like you've got a few interviews already and several other schools you're waiting to hear back from, so that's great! I know it's hard, but try not to dwell on your U of M application

5 minutes ago, Cricket643 said:

Oh man, that's frustrating :( Sorry that happened to you. 

The good news is that it looks like you've got a few interviews already and several other schools you're waiting to hear back from, so that's great! I know it's hard, but try not to dwell on your U of M application

Thanks. It was total oversight on my part... I am frustrated, but I suppose the only thing to do now is move on and focus on my other applications. 

1 hour ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

Hey! Did you complete the supplemental application?! I've been checking my status on this site:
https://www.grad.usf.edu/sonic3/status.php 

That's where they say to check your status. I haven't checked SOPHAS in forever and I don't have access on my work computer but I'll check mine on my phone when I go on break. My status on that website says something about me needing to submit a SOPHAS application but when I emailed them and asked they told me that my application is under review and they'll let me know of a decision as soon as they can.

Yes, I completed that. I am sure it is complete but it's pretty vague and confusing. Fingers crossed because that is a lot of money to go down the drain if I didn't submit it right! Let me know what your SOPHAS looks like! Thanks!!

Just now, Gadgette said:

I'd be lying if I said I haven't been checking throughout the day. Nothing yet, but that's ok. Congrats on the interview!!

Thanks!  Good luck to you too, I'm sure it'll come in soon.

51 minutes ago, GCFaith92 said:

Yes, I completed that. I am sure it is complete but it's pretty vague and confusing. Fingers crossed because that is a lot of money to go down the drain if I didn't submit it right! Let me know what your SOPHAS looks like! Thanks!!

Yep, mine has a "0" under submit too. I guess that's because it's already been submitted and past the deadline, or maybe because the school has already pulled the application. So don't worry too much, I'd just keep checking the status on the website. It's only USF and Rutgers I have left so I'm just "patiently" waiting...

1 hour ago, KeepSwimming2017 said:

Yep, mine has a "0" under submit too. I guess that's because it's already been submitted and past the deadline, or maybe because the school has already pulled the application. So don't worry too much, I'd just keep checking the status on the website. It's only USF and Rutgers I have left so I'm just "patiently" waiting...

Hey!  I looked at your profile and it turns out we have the same SLC interview date!  Hope I see you there.

12 minutes ago, jadeo07 said:

I'm not going to lie, I somewhat regret applying to so many schools (9) because now I'm worried I won't be able to afford to travel to all of my interview places. Is anyone else feeling this way? 

I totally understand your worry. I applied to the three Canadian schools, and was hoping to apply for like 3-5 schools in the States but I knew I wouldn't be able to afford/take time of from school to actually attend the potential amount of interviews. Even getting interviews to the three Canadian schools (fingers crossed) may be too expensive (though, a good problem to have). 

It seems that people who have received a good many interview offers have already rejected a few. If I were in your position, I would do so. Cross a couple off the list that you would least like to attend. When I chatted with one of the program directors a while back, she said that attending about 5 different interviews would be enough to ensure a good chance of acceptance somewhere.

1 hour ago, jadeo07 said:

I'm not going to lie, I somewhat regret applying to so many schools (9) because now I'm worried I won't be able to afford to travel to all of my interview places. Is anyone else feeling this way? 

Ditto! I applied to 8 and got interviews at all of them... totally unexpected. I've thought about rejecting some but I don't think I have the guts to do it. I figure I'd rather invest the time and money now to have options later than turn some down and possibly regret it later. It's all just personal preference I think!

Well apparently I'm super late to discovering this website but I'm glad I did! It's crazy to think that a lot of us will be colleagues someday! Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the logistics of all my trips now... Do applicants ever become uber/car rental buddies to split some of the expenses (and then eat raw cookie dough together after the interview)? Some of the programs are quite a haul from the airport ($100+ in uber fare) and don't seem to offer much help from the current students. I'm also considering renting a car and doing a road trip for a couple of them. Anyone else having this problem?