Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2017 admissions

MSW&MD

1 hour ago, tnt92 said:

I do not believe anyone has spoken about only going to UofT, but it has been a major topic because the deadline was December 15th. Obviously with WLU having a later deadline, those conversations will surely follow. If you are so curious as to what makes people apply to UofT, perhaps phrase your question less confrontationally because it is hard not to take offence. We, as in those who are applying to UofT, are not one dimensional and I am sure that placement opportunities are not the only reason for many applications--but is obviously a factor for some. Personally, it is more financially reasonable (will be able to stay with family), accessible (it is on a subway line), and comfortable (completed my undergrad there).

As a note, if you had genuine concern for those applying to UofT, perhaps they should have been voiced before the deadline rather than making individuals feel attacked for a choice they've already made. Just my two cents. 

BHAHAHAA - not sure about the presumptions you made here and the sweeping statements about the other poster being confrontational or making others feel attacked. Kinda bold of you to speak on behalf the entire "we" who applied to u of t. You don't speak for everyone. i actually thought opinions shared by the poster were informative and helpful. Appeared to me it was a fair question too. I applied to u of t as well, but have spoken to a number of students in the program and many are disappointed. u of t has not been listening to its students for the last two years and many are feeling their experiences has been much like a bait ad switch. Maybe you've got post application nerves - but seriously, not everything is offensive or an attack, or confrontational. Besides if you can't handle the different ways in which others may communicate, social work may not be for you.  Just saying' *kanye shrug*

Edited by Dry_Guy

6 hours ago, Dry_Guy said:

BHAHAHAA - not sure about the presumptions you made here and the sweeping statements about the other poster being confrontational or making others feel attacked. Kinda bold of you to speak on behalf the entire "we" who applied to u of t. You don't speak for everyone. i actually thought opinions shared by the poster were informative and helpful. Appeared to me it was a fair question too. I applied to u of t as well, but have spoken to a number of students in the program and many are disappointed. u of t has not been listening to its students for the last two years and many are feeling their experiences has been much like a bait ad switch. Maybe you've got post application nerves - but seriously, not everything is offensive or an attack, or confrontational. Besides if you can't handle the different ways in which others may communicate, social work may not be for you.  Just saying' *kanye shrug*

(1) I am glad you found the opinions shared informative and helpful. I, on the other hand, would have found them more helpful had they come before the application deadline. 

(2) I am sure that using the collective "we" is fine if I am saying that UofT applicants are not one dimensional. If you would like to claim that you are one dimensional, then I will gladly retract that statement. 

(3) A bit contradictory to say I am not suitable for social work because I cannot handle the ways in which others communicate when you clearly have an issue with my response to his question.

Alas, I am not here to perpetuate this type of discussion and hope that you are satisfied with your response and mine so that we may continue to discuss issues pertaining to an MSW. I hope we can move forward from this disagreement. 

To answer the original question;

I applied to UofT because I'm interested in an integrative learning experience, blending clinical work and research. I want a program that will allow me to specialize, while also having the option to collaborate (in addiction studies). 

I was not given the option to apply to Ryerson as I am a non-BSW major. 

I did not want to waste my time applying to York because a) I did my undergrad there and did not enjoy the experience, and b ) I am not interested in learning about social work from an anti-oppressive framework, as opposed to a clinical focus. 

Hi everyone! 

I'm not applying this year, as I am currently in my last year of my BSW and won't finish my placement until the end of August. However, I've been creeping these MSW threads since 2012 or 2013 when I first realized social work was my goal :) 

I'm planning on working for a year and then applying to some Advanced-Standing MSW programs, but I'm a bit afraid because I don't have any research experience so far. I will be getting to complete a research project with the University in my Research Methods course this year (just beginning the project now), but I'm not sure that is enough... I'm just looking for opinions on this?

I'm interested in applying to: 

U of T - Advanced Standing - Health and Mental Health

Laurier - Advanced Standing

U of Windsor - Advanced Standing

...and also the MEd in Counselling Psychology programs at Acadia and U of T. Also interested in some other MSW programs internationally, but I know this forum is Canada-focused. U of T is definitely my #1 choice. My SSW diploma and current BSW programs have been very critical/social-justice oriented, which has been incredible and so valuable for this field, but I'm looking for something more clinical for my Masters, so I can gain more specific skills. :) 

Here's my current education and experience (not 100% sure of the hours right now sorry): 

4-year BA double major in Psychology and SOSA (Sociology/Social Anthropology) - 2.95 gpa

1-year accelerated diploma in Social Service Work, 470 hour placement - 3.85 gpa (even though they don't look at it for MSW applications)

2-year BSW - 3.58 gpa (currently), and will have completed a certificate in Interprofessional health 

- volunteered at a hospital as an ambassador (welcoming patients/visitors, information, way-finding, communicating with other staff) - 70 hours over 6 months

- volunteered on a suicide/mental health crisis hotline - approx 150 hours over a one-year period

- volunteered as a stylist at Dress For Success (assisting women re-enter the workforce) - approximately 100 hours over 1.5 years

- 470-hour placement as a recreation/educational/job skills/life skills support worker at a Community Living (working with people with developmental disabilities)

- Currently work once a week doing after school nannying for a family (not super relevant, I know)

WILL BE: 
- volunteering at a hospital, working as a recreation assistant on a locked dementia floor for older adults - hoping to get 6 months, 3 hours weekly so 70-75 hours)

- volunteering at an emergency winter shelter from January-April, 4 hours per week 

- Working remotely at a nonprofit for youth with high-functioning autism - admin, social media/research, potentially as a mentor if I move back to the city (my hometown) after completing my BSW. Not sure of the hours yet, but it will begin in January. 

- plan to take an online, month-long workshop in Brief Solution-Focused Therapy through my university 

- completing a 700-hour social work placement from April to August (hopefully in mental health, currently in the process of applying)

Any input/recommendations/thoughts would be so appreciated! 

Edited by MSW2018hopeful

On 12/19/2016 at 0:07 AM, MSW2018hopeful said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm not applying this year, as I am currently in my last year of my BSW and won't finish my placement until the end of August. However, I've been creeping these MSW threads since 2012 or 2013 when I first realized social work was my goal :) 

I'm planning on working for a year and then applying to some Advanced-Standing MSW programs, but I'm a bit afraid because I don't have any research experience so far. I will be getting to complete a research project with the University in my Research Methods course this year (just beginning the project now), but I'm not sure that is enough... I'm just looking for opinions on this?

I'm interested in applying to: 

U of T - Advanced Standing - Health and Mental Health

Laurier - Advanced Standing

U of Windsor - Advanced Standing

...and also the MEd in Counselling Psychology programs at Acadia and U of T. Also interested in some other MSW programs internationally, but I know this forum is Canada-focused. U of T is definitely my #1 choice. My SSW diploma and current BSW programs have been very critical/social-justice oriented, which has been incredible and so valuable for this field, but I'm looking for something more clinical for my Masters, so I can gain more specific skills. :) 

Here's my current education and experience (not 100% sure of the hours right now sorry): 

4-year BA double major in Psychology and SOSA (Sociology/Social Anthropology) - 2.95 gpa

1-year accelerated diploma in Social Service Work, 470 hour placement - 3.85 gpa (even though they don't look at it for MSW applications)

2-year BSW - 3.58 gpa (currently), and will have completed a certificate in Interprofessional health 

- volunteered at a hospital as an ambassador (welcoming patients/visitors, information, way-finding, communicating with other staff) - 70 hours over 6 months

- volunteered on a suicide/mental health crisis hotline - approx 150 hours over a one-year period

- volunteered as a stylist at Dress For Success (assisting women re-enter the workforce) - approximately 100 hours over 1.5 years

- 470-hour placement as a recreation/educational/job skills/life skills support worker at a Community Living (working with people with developmental disabilities)

- Currently work once a week doing after school nannying for a family (not super relevant, I know)

WILL BE: 
- volunteering at a hospital, working as a recreation assistant on a locked dementia floor for older adults - hoping to get 6 months, 3 hours weekly so 70-75 hours)

- volunteering at an emergency winter shelter from January-April, 4 hours per week 

- Working remotely at a nonprofit for youth with high-functioning autism - admin, social media/research, potentially as a mentor if I move back to the city (my hometown) after completing my BSW. Not sure of the hours yet, but it will begin in January. 

- plan to take an online, month-long workshop in Brief Solution-Focused Therapy through my university 

- completing a 700-hour social work placement from April to August (hopefully in mental health, currently in the process of applying)

Any input/recommendations/thoughts would be so appreciated! 

Do you have strong academic references? 

12 hours ago, YWEANG said:

Do you have strong academic references? 

Hi YWEANG! I'm sure I will be able to! I just got my marks back from my first semester this (second, final) year, and I'm at a 4.0, so that brought my CGPA up a bit. We have small class sizes here, so all my profs know me. I'm hoping to get full-time work in social work next year to get more experience, and possibly some more related volunteer work if I have time!  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to freak out because I'm a single mom so I don't have as much volunteer experience or extra curricular activities because any spare time I have is dedicated to my kids.  I have a bad feeling I won't compare very well to other applicants.

21 hours ago, Hopeful18 said:

I'm starting to freak out because I'm a single mom so I don't have as much volunteer experience or extra curricular activities because any spare time I have is dedicated to my kids.  I have a bad feeling I won't compare very well to other applicants.

I'm sure if you mentioned this in your application there would be some consideration. Did you apply for the 2-year program? 

33 minutes ago, Dry_Guy said:

Re: u of t - Does anyone know how the diversity questionnaires are weigh? how are they used? Also, how much do they weigh statement letters and references? Thanks in advance. 

I believe the diversity questionnaire is just used for internal stats for the program, it has no influence on your application. I'm saying this because it was listed as optional. 

19 hours ago, Dry_Guy said:

Re: u of t - Does anyone know how the diversity questionnaires are weigh? how are they used? Also, how much do they weigh statement letters and references? Thanks in advance. 

Based on my experience, U of T MSW is one of the whitest school in Ontario, and I am not just talking about ethnicity of the students there , but the school culture in general. I would be very cautious to answer the diversity questionnares and ensure they don't sound " too critical "  or " too postmodern".

1 hour ago, wishingonuoft said:

Ummm what? Lol, there is so much wrong with this statement it's not even funny. I'm curious as to what you've based your experiences on since you didn't go to U of T.

His racism against white people aside, I was curious and looked at the diversity numbers for Toronto (most every school keeps these). If you look at their Reports and Accountability page and read the Performance Indicator 2015 PDF you find that UoT has "The proportion of students, first and senior year, who reported that they are part of a visible minority is increasing at the University of Toronto and is higher than Canadian peer institutions." This also held true for first-generation students...

Not sure how well someone will do in graduate programs when they use anecdotal "man I saw some white people" experience vs real data but that is just me...

Edited by .ian//

2 hours ago, wishingonuoft said:

Ummm what? Lol, there is so much wrong with this statement it's not even funny. I'm curious as to what you've based your experiences on since you didn't go to U of T.

I did my undergrad there, I took two clinical courses at Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work and I did one collaborative research project with a U of T professor .  It was  my personal impression that the school is not as racially/culturally diverse as it claimed to be . Having said that, I really don't care about U of T MSW 's dominant pedagogical approach or its hegemonic discourse of institutional Whiteness; I don't lecture people on which school is better for them and which one is not; after all, we are all adults and we use our subjective judgement to make the best choice. I am just sharing my experience on the topic of diversity  to someone who is interested know, if you find this topic to be  offensive, then please ignore my thread.  Thanks and cheer :)

1 hour ago, .letmeinplz// said:

His racism against white people aside, I was curious and looked at the diversity numbers for Toronto (most every school keeps these). If you look at their Reports and Accountability page and read the Performance Indicator 2015 PDF you find that UoT has "The proportion of students, first and senior year, who reported that they are part of a visible minority is increasing at the University of Toronto and is higher than Canadian peer institutions." This also held true for first-generation students...

Not sure how well someone will do in graduate programs when they use anecdotal "man I saw some white people" experience vs real data but that is just me...

" His racism against white people",  lol, thanks for empowering a racialized person and placing me on a higher status. :) 

Pls, I did very well in my MSW and I just received a PHD offer from an Ivy League school. Thanks for asking. :) 

5 hours ago, wishingonuoft said:

Clearly, you are a social work n00b (Let me guess, you are an applicant to a 2 year McMSW* program?). Within the social work community, UFT Factor Inwentash school of social work is known to be notoriously white and not very inclusive of many marginalized communities. It is even acknowledged in UFT's most recent self-assessment (http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/UTQAP-Self-Study-Final-September-2014.pdf pg. 144). The appendices of this self-assessment report note the overrepresentation of white female social work students:

The MSW program especially welcomes applications from visible minority groups, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities; however, the desired diversification and similarity to the population of the Greater Toronto area was not evident among the MSW students with whom we met, who were predominantly young white females
( http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/UTQAP-APPENDICES-PDF-KW-revision-page-3.pdf, pg 5). 

The school acknowledges that there is a gap between who they invite to the table and who actually gets to dine.

But... as soon as I saw a glimmer of critical thinking and reflexivity at UFT's school of social work, I went on to read  the school's insinuation that men are oppressed in social work (http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/UTQAP-APPENDICES-PDF-KW-revision-page-3.pdf,; pg 3). [face palm]. 

* McMSW = McDonalidzation of social work education, the trend in which schools of social work are trying to cram five years of social work education into a cheapened two year program.

Edited by cupcake

On 2017-01-01 at 5:30 PM, Dry_Guy said:

I'm sure if you mentioned this in your application there would be some consideration. Did you apply for the 2-year program? 

I applied for the one year.  I did put that in my application.

7 hours ago, cupcake said:

Clearly, you are a social work n00b (Let me guess, you are an applicant to a 2 year McMSW* program?). Within the social work community, UFT Factor Inwentash school of social work is known to be notoriously white and not very inclusive of many marginalized communities. It is even acknowledged in UFT's most recent self-assessment (http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/UTQAP-Self-Study-Final-September-2014.pdf pg. 144). The appendices of this self-assessment report note the overrepresentation of white female social work students:

The MSW program especially welcomes applications from visible minority groups, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities; however, the desired diversification and similarity to the population of the Greater Toronto area was not evident among the MSW students with whom we met, who were predominantly young white females
( http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/UTQAP-APPENDICES-PDF-KW-revision-page-3.pdf, pg 5). 

The school acknowledges that there is a gap between who they invite to the table and who actually gets to dine.

But... as soon as I saw a glimmer of critical thinking and reflexivity at UFT's school of social work, I went on to read  the school's insinuation that men are oppressed in social work (http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/UTQAP-APPENDICES-PDF-KW-revision-page-3.pdf,; pg 3). [face palm]. 

* McMSW = McDonalidzation of social work education, the trend in which schools of social work are trying to cram five years of social work education into a cheapened two year program.

* McMSW = McDonalidzation of social work education, the trend in which schools of social work are trying to cram five years of social work education into a cheapened two year program. This statement and above facts all day!

It is incredibly infuriating to spend 4 years learning about social work theories, practices, tools, critically thinking about the the impacts of neoliberalism on individuals and society, completing practicums, unpacking yours and others sh!t (if you're offended by this statement, you will probably struggle in the program because there is a lot of sh!t you will witness once the topics of white privilege and white supremacy, whiteness are discussed in social work, but i digress)  and then seeing it get lost in a 2 year MSW program. Adding insult to the injury is then those 2 year MSW program graduates go out into the world, often with no strong foundation in social work theories and struggle with the true values of social work (i'm not saying all, but definitely many). If you really are a social worker (undergrad or not) you will not struggle with these concepts as your experience in the field will have made it abundantly clear the numerous ways in which systemic racism and oppression clearly exist in our society and how the system is truly rigged to continues marginalizing those who are most vulnerable. Access to opportunities is a privilege. Hard work is hard work.  You will know the importance of advocacy work and how integral it is the work social workers do. They don't just help people. They are advocates too. It is at the core of the profession. Unfortunately understanding this sometimes takes more than 2 years and for schools such as u of t reminding students of this may not be a part of their agenda. 

I originally asked the question about diversity because i had heard from a handful of MSW graduates from Toronto, who are both people of colour and not people of colour,  and almost all described the campus, institution and education much as Yweang described it as. I had also seen the above statistics when researching the program (albeit difficult to find) and was curious if the questionnaire arose as a way to assist in addressing the issue of lack of diversity in the classroom and research labs.

I mentioned in an earlier post, but will repeat again here I have also heard many people in the last 2-3  years mention their frustration with these very things and that many graduates discussed these concerns with the administration in their program reviews and  spoke with with program directors, however not much has changed. Reading the MSW message from the dean and the reality at u of t is incredibly ironic......based on the many lived experiences of both white and non-white graduates i have spoken too and heard about. Am hoping for the possibility of changes in the next year...but alas the issue of the The mcMSW degree exists.....

All that being said, thank you for sharing your thoughts everyone. It is much appreciated. The lack of diversity at u of t is a big issue as the school holds a strong monopoly with partnerships in the community and is one of the few 'clinical' school in the province. The lack of diverse opinions, faces and experiences (both white and non-white) impacts the opinions, discussions and critical thinking that takes places and the ways in which interventions are being developed...it's too important to simply dismiss as a 'racist statement against white people'. The issue is far more complex and quite frankly rather insulting to simply call it racist. 

Edited by Dry_Guy

21 hours ago, Dry_Guy said:

* McMSW = McDonalidzation of social work education, the trend in which schools of social work are trying to cram five years of social work education into a cheapened two year program. This statement and above facts all day!

It is incredibly infuriating to spend 4 years learning about social work theories, practices, tools, critically thinking about the the impacts of neoliberalism on individuals and society, completing practicums, unpacking yours and others sh!t (if you're offended by this statement, you will probably struggle in the program because there is a lot of sh!t you will witness once the topics of white privilege and white supremacy, whiteness are discussed in social work, but i digress)  and then seeing it get lost in a 2 year MSW program. Adding insult to the injury is then those 2 year MSW program graduates go out into the world, often with no strong foundation in social work theories and struggle with the true values of social work (i'm not saying all, but definitely many). If you really are a social worker (undergrad or not) you will not struggle with these concepts as your experience in the field will have made it abundantly clear the numerous ways in which systemic racism and oppression clearly exist in our society and how the system is truly rigged to continues marginalizing those who are most vulnerable. Access to opportunities is a privilege. Hard work is hard work.  You will know the importance of advocacy work and how integral it is the work social workers do. They don't just help people. They are advocates too. It is at the core of the profession. Unfortunately understanding this sometimes takes more than 2 years and for schools such as u of t reminding students of this may not be a part of their agenda. 

I originally asked the question about diversity because i had heard from a handful of MSW graduates from Toronto, who are both people of colour and not people of colour,  and almost all described the campus, institution and education much as Yweang described it as. I had also seen the above statistics when researching the program (albeit difficult to find) and was curious if the questionnaire arose as a way to assist in addressing the issue of lack of diversity in the classroom and research labs.

I mentioned in an earlier post, but will repeat again here I have also heard many people in the last 2-3  years mention their frustration with these very things and that many graduates discussed these concerns with the administration in their program reviews and  spoke with with program directors, however not much has changed. Reading the MSW message from the dean and the reality at u of t is incredibly ironic......based on the many lived experiences of both white and non-white graduates i have spoken too and heard about. Am hoping for the possibility of changes in the next year...but alas the issue of the The mcMSW degree exists.....

All that being said, thank you for sharing your thoughts everyone. It is much appreciated. The lack of diversity at u of t is a big issue as the school holds a strong monopoly with partnerships in the community and is one of the few 'clinical' school in the province. The lack of diverse opinions, faces and experiences (both white and non-white) impacts the opinions, discussions and critical thinking that takes places and the ways in which interventions are being developed...it's too important to simply dismiss as a 'racist statement against white people'. The issue is far more complex and quite frankly rather insulting to simply call it racist. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I personally don't care much about U of T's MSW program since its pedagogical approach doesn't conform with my social work value and therefore I didn't want to attend that school anyway. I did, however, respect its clinical focused teaching and  " traditional white elite" school culture. But  the whole idea of marginalizing, silencing, deprecating, humiliating and patronizing social workers who come from a different school of thought is extremely repugnant to me. I had a firsthand experience while I was doing my MSW at a UHN hospital, some of my U of T MSW colleagues actually made a formal complaint to the field education office because I was the only non U of T MSW student there. According to them, all hospitals that are affiliated with U of T should ONLY accepting U of T MSW students and I had literally stolen a spot from them! This academic hegemonism and institutional departmentalism really worries me about the future of our social work profession. 

For those applying to the two year msw at Laurier: 

the application deadline is Jan 15. However my references only received the email yesterday. Does that deadline also apply to them? Or can references be submitted a bit later? One of my references is out of the country until Jan 16

37 minutes ago, gradschool2017 said:

For those applying to the two year msw at Laurier: 

the application deadline is Jan 15. However my references only received the email yesterday. Does that deadline also apply to them? Or can references be submitted a bit later? One of my references is out of the country until Jan 16

All documents must be submitted by the 15th unfortunately

On January 3, 2017 at 11:24 PM, YWEANG said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I personally don't care much about U of T's MSW program since its pedagogical approach doesn't conform with my social work value and therefore I didn't want to attend that school anyway. I did, however, respect its clinical focused teaching and  " traditional white elite" school culture. But  the whole idea of marginalizing, silencing, deprecating, humiliating and patronizing social workers who come from a different school of thought is extremely repugnant to me. I had a firsthand experience while I was doing my MSW at a UHN hospital, some of my U of T MSW colleagues actually made a formal complaint to the field education office because I was the only non U of T MSW student there. According to them, all hospitals that are affiliated with U of T should ONLY accepting U of T MSW students and I had literally stolen a spot from them! This academic hegemonism and institutional departmentalism really worries me about the future of our social work profession. 

I'm sorry to hear about your field placement experience. I understand what you mean though about not caring for their pedagogical approach. To be honest, I struggled with applying to an MSW school that aligned with my personal values. Unfortunately, each school it seems is very polarizing. After much thinking, I had to acknowledge a clinical-focus is what I require to advance my career and professional development. Sidenote though: I am often left scratching my head when I see schools of social work teaching clinical practices rooted in the dated medical model. :/ 

It is my hope after U of T's assessment report, and the introduction of their new Indigenous MSW program they are making some strong steps to adding diverse voices to their student population and educators. 

Second sidenote: From your experience in these forums, any idea why it's so quiet this year? I'm interested in seeing if applications are down this year. 

4 hours ago, Dry_Guy said:

I'm sorry to hear about your field placement experience. I understand what you mean though about not caring for their pedagogical approach. To be honest, I struggled with applying to an MSW school that aligned with my personal values. Unfortunately, each school it seems is very polarizing. After much thinking, I had to acknowledge a clinical-focus is what I require to advance my career and professional development. Sidenote though: I am often left scratching my head when I see schools of social work teaching clinical practices rooted in the dated medical model. :/ 

It is my hope after U of T's assessment report, and the introduction of their new Indigenous MSW program they are making some strong steps to adding diverse voices to their student population and educators. 

Second sidenote: From your experience in these forums, any idea why it's so quiet this year? I'm interested in seeing if applications are down this year. 

Not sure why  this forum is so quiet this year... maybe more people decide go for medical school instead of doing  MSW ? lol

1 hour ago, YWEANG said:

Not sure why  this forum is so quiet this year... maybe more people decide go for medical school instead of doing  MSW ? lol

There might be a lot of quiet onlookers. That was me for years. I creeped the forum but didn't post ever hahah