HGSE Fall 2010

amyeray

I posted this somewhere else, but this is probably a more appropriate place...

I just sent in my application for Harvard Graduate School of Education's Arts in Education program..for year in advance so Fall 2011. Anyone else on here apply this year for fall 2010 or for year in advance fall 2011?

I posted this somewhere else, but this is probably a more appropriate place...

I just sent in my application for Harvard Graduate School of Education's Arts in Education program..for year in advance so Fall 2011. Anyone else on here apply this year for fall 2010 or for year in advance fall 2011?

I also applied for HGSE's Arts in Education program, but for this fall (2010-2011).

The waiting is proving difficult.. and it only just started! I am analyzing everything even more than when I did before I submitted. Are you both coming from an Education background?

March cannot come soon enough. Good grief. :-)

throw me in the mix as well. I just clicked submit - I sure hope my SOP is ok, because I started today with my extant 2500 word draft, and revised it endlessly for around ten hours straight. I can't see straight not, and the spellchecker isn't always accurate, but I just uploaded the thing.

Ed.M applicant, MBE program. I'm a, what would be the correct term? Unconventional candidate? Old fart applicant is probably a bit more apropos :P 37 years old, over 12 years teaching experience and founder and headmaster of my own alternative school.

I have no backup school - this is my only application. This is not hubris or ego; it's just...being a complete idiot :P

Anyone want to compare numbers? I took the GRE cold-turkey a week ago. 690 verbal, 710 math. My Tufts undergrad GPA....so frighteningly low that I hope that GPAs are like bankruptcies...after 15 years they won't count anymore?? :(

I hope we all get in!!!

btw, what's with the decision being posted to our application accounts? So instead of getting an email, we have to login every ten minutes for the first two weeks of March to see if we got in or not???

Definitely good luck on getting in everyone :-) Also good luck with the waiting.. still going crazy and trying to find stuff to keep me busy.

What type of background are you guys coming from? The diversity of the students in the program is fascinating me to no end. Last night in my mad search for something to assuage my worrying, I found a bunch of HGSE videos on Youtube (perhaps you made it there sooner, I didn't even think about it) and they are pretty cute. This one specifically I thought was sweet:

I am only applying to HGSE as well, I'm kinda in love with the program (even though it seems we just met) and I don't really have a desire to go anywhere else.

My background is in Theatre and Themed Entertainment, I work as a technical manager for a touring children's museum exhibit. I like to say I've been working education adjacent.

What area of the country are you guys in? I'm in California, and a little concerned about the cold... *sigh* but it is a sacrifice I'd be willing to make I suppose ;-)

I applied to the IEP program at HGSE for Fall 2010. I'm currently in my 6th year of teaching (4 years in 3rd grade, 1 year at an international school in Africa, and currently teaching 7th grade). Agreed that this waiting is going to be the worst part! Thankfully I have 60 7th graders to fill my time as I wait tongue.gif I also applied at Vanderbilt.

Best of luck to all!

I will apply to Harvard (TIE) and Stanford (LDT) next fall. I’m currently majoring in Film and Digital Media with a minor in Political Science. I have a background in both education and technology. My experience in the field of education is limited due to my age. I tutor four students, three times a week in Mathematics. I also help students with English, Political Science and Communications in our Walk in Tutoring room. It’s extremely satisfying to help out fellow classmates. In my free-time, I film digital media tutorials online for programs such as Photoshop and 3ds Max. Although, my pride and joy is the new eTutoring platform we’re developing for the university. It will debut this semester to all 25,000 students! One of my jobs is to create interactive lessons to supplement the website. I’ve noticed that every semester students come and ask me the same questions. My thought was to create videos that tackle these common problems.

Edited by Airwick

Good Luck everyone. I am also anxiously awaiting an answer from HGSE.

I have a bachelors degree in History and a JD in law. Been working in an educational nonprofit and volunteering in schools for the last 3 years.

HGSE is tied for number 1 among my school choices and I would absolutely scream and shout with glee if I received entry.

The program is amazing and would really help me.

from some points of view I maybe should have applied to IEP as my work is in education in Korea. But I want to master the art of teaching itself first, plus have more than just experience to back up what I teach in my classroom, so it's MBE for me. But it's highly possible that a ed policy PhD would be helpful in the future. Not all of us can be Michelle Rhee though - I look at me changing the educational world on a far smaller scale!

Edited by kismetcapitan

Good luck to everyone here, it looks like there is quite a talent pool in this forum.

I applied to the TEP program, though I'm not fresh out of college. I actually have three years of teaching experience without a teaching degree. I exchanged emails with Susan Kandel, who was incredibly helpful and replied very fast and with detailed explanations. I'm an international student so I hope that won't make it very difficult, but wanting to be a teacher in USA coming from a foreign country is not easy. I just think that there are much better opportunities to learn and grow as a teacher in the US.

Anyway I hope this works out for everyone, that even if we can't get into Harvard, we get accepted into other good schools.

Good luck to everyone here, it looks like there is quite a talent pool in this forum.

I applied to the TEP program, though I'm not fresh out of college. I actually have three years of teaching experience without a teaching degree. I exchanged emails with Susan Kandel, who was incredibly helpful and replied very fast and with detailed explanations. I'm an international student so I hope that won't make it very difficult, but wanting to be a teacher in USA coming from a foreign country is not easy. I just think that there are much better opportunities to learn and grow as a teacher in the US.

Anyway I hope this works out for everyone, that even if we can't get into Harvard, we get accepted into other good schools.

Best of luck everyone!

(Ed.M. TIE, current EdD student)

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed my financial aid info... which means I'm done sending stuff in. Frightening. I'm fretting over this much more than I thought I would. Hopefully the month long business trip will help keep my mind occupied.

How's everyone else biding their time?

How's everyone else biding their time?

Trying to keep my two year old nascent school from falling prey to the insidious cram-school industry in Korea, trying to convince my student's parents that this "new fangled" dialectic education may not yield higher TOEFL results (and...why the hell is EVERY Korean kid cramming for the iBT...in 7th grade??).

What else? Proselytizing the World Scholar's Cup to anyone that will listen, and prepping for my son's 1st birthday which is coming up in a week.

And of course, spending lots of time here! commiserating our worst anxieties....:P

Hm.. I might have to try pretending there is no calendar. I don't know how happy work would be with me just showing up when I feel like it, could be interesting though!

Kismet - you sound super busy! That might be a more effective less "fire-y" strategy to fit into my work schedule... :D

well, if we get emails in exactly four weeks, it doesn't look like good news...but in six weeks? jumping for joy/relief!

looking at past results, HGSE seems to send out their rejections at the end of February, and acceptances in mid-March. What's up with that?

I'm almost tempted to go completely offline during that time! (of course, I won't be able to, I was the kid who could barely tolerate waiting christmas morning, and spent much of my childhood making arguments as to why we should be permitted to open our gifts at midnight, christmas eve, as it was then technically the 25th....

well, if we get emails in exactly four weeks, it doesn't look like good news...but in six weeks? jumping for joy/relief!

looking at past results, HGSE seems to send out their rejections at the end of February, and acceptances in mid-March. What's up with that?

I'm almost tempted to go completely offline during that time! (of course, I won't be able to, I was the kid who could barely tolerate waiting christmas morning, and spent much of my childhood making arguments as to why we should be permitted to open our gifts at midnight, christmas eve, as it was then technically the 25th....

Not so fast, kismetcaptain. Look at the results page more closely. ONLY doctoral candidates get rejected in late February. MASTER'S candidates find out in mid-March.

Everyone: Live your life, realize you've done everything you could, and the next six weeks will breeze by. Simple as that.

good call :) so mid-March will be the decider. By that time I'll be definitely neck-deep in work, whether or not I got in would be the least of my immediate worries then. The Korean school calendar has the school year beginning in late February; gearing up for it is building; although I personally always have class (one class might be on vacation, but then another won't), I can feel the storm building <sigh>. Teaching seven full days a week is hard. Hard hard hard.

btw....am I the only person who has put a link on their iPhone straight to the application website? With push email, no matter what time of day or where I am, I'll get it on my phone. Then I just touch the Harvard app icon (a bookmark), touch login...and then I'll know....within five minutes tops, of Harvard emailing us letting us know decisions have been rendered.

Am I abnormal...?? :P

Who else just got this confusing email? I posted about it in results.

"Trying not to read into this cryptic email. Since I indicated that I would like to be considered for EdM if rejected from EdD, I've been invited to virtual info session regarding EdM. But, it still says I need to submit financial aid app in accordance w/EdD deadline. "Admissions decisions will be available by March 26. We will send you an email to let you know when your decision is available through your online application account." - but apparently accepted EdD students usually receive a phone call in February. Is my app doomed??"

Amelapay, that's a tough one... interesting though.

Does anyone know if there is a place that posts the status of your financial aid application like they did with the program application? I sent the materials in, but wasn't sure I had everything I needed. I can call them if all else fails, just wanted to know if I was missing somewhere it might be listed without having to bother them.

Hope everyone is having a happy February, it'll be March before we know it :-)

Amelapay,I got the email too. I applied to Harvard but I am definitely not getting in (GRE score waaaay too low for even the masters program).

The email was sent to EVERYONE that applied to the EdD or EdLD programs.