The Graduate Institute Geneva(IHEID) 2017-2018

3 hours ago, Policy Analyst said:

Hi,

If you're looking for a quantitative rigorous course with excellent brand name then go for Oxford. Not sure about the GRE requirement but anything in the top 10-15 percentile should suffice. Another factor to keep in mind is funding. Have you received any scholarship?

Thanks for your reply. I havent consideres funding yet, fortunately its not much of a problem so i was more focused on admissions, however i will be looking into funding that might ease my parents a bit 

On 3/16/2017 at 10:53 PM, Palolem said:

I got accepted to the MDev program with close to 50% aid (tuition + living). 
I am an applicant from India with an undergrad in mathematics. I have a very strong and long-standing background in social work which is the core of my application. The reason I am mentioning this is because I don't think IHEID is as marks focused as one might think - a shift from math to dev studies is a pretty huge one. The fact that they considered my application based on professional experience is a good sign, I think :)

Congratulations to everyone that got in! And to the others, I am sure there are great thing to come your way :)

Hi, could you share your profile? You could message me too. Just want an idea of the kind of profiles that get accepted.

Congratulations btw!

I've just been accepted at Oxford for an Mphil in Development Studies and I'm confused between confirming my IHEID offer or Oxford. Anyone else going through something similar? i could use some advice :)

On 3/16/2017 at 10:53 PM, Palolem said:

I got accepted to the MDev program with close to 50% aid (tuition + living). 
I am an applicant from India with an undergrad in mathematics. I have a very strong and long-standing background in social work which is the core of my application. The reason I am mentioning this is because I don't think IHEID is as marks focused as one might think - a shift from math to dev studies is a pretty huge one. The fact that they considered my application based on professional experience is a good sign, I think :)

Congratulations to everyone that got in! And to the others, I am sure there are great thing to come your way :)

Congratulations!

I have been a silent spectator for most of the time. I got through the International Economics program with a satisfactory (though i wanted full) financial aid. 

Where are you from in India? I am from New Delhi (education and residence).

On 3/17/2017 at 2:58 AM, Policy Analyst said:

Hi Guys,

I have been following this forum for a long time and must say it has been very useful. I just got admitted into the Masters in International Economics program and I am ecstatic. However, I did not receive any funding so I am not sure if I will be able to afford it. In any case, I am really happy. Hope to see some of you in Geneva (If I attend) and best of luck to everyone. 

Congrats! I got through International Economics too. 

Well I hope you get aid. You could also work part-time in geneva and from what I hear there are many old people willing to give you accommodation for free or very little provided you give them about 20 hours of service and (I think, some companionship). Look for additional sources of funding. 

Where are you from, if I may ask? I am from New Delhi, India.

For all asking about the FB group, here it is. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1892382877673610/members/ 

Also, make sure you send a request from an account with the same first and last names as in your application. I think they will only accept requests fro admitted students.

Hope to see some of you in Geneva in September. I am 90% certain I am taking the offer. Though I am waiting on Bocconi and Paris School of Economics too.

2 hours ago, Maadhav said:

Congrats! I got through International Economics too. 

Well I hope you get aid. You could also work part-time in geneva and from what I hear there are many old people willing to give you accommodation for free or very little provided you give them about 20 hours of service and (I think, some companionship). Look for additional sources of funding. 

Where are you from, if I may ask? I am from New Delhi, India.

Congrats to you too. You can't work part time till 6 months on the Swiss Education visa and working is not advisable for International Economics Students at least in the first year as the course is very intensive. Accommodation is not a concern for me, I already know someone in Geneva so that's a relief. Financing is. The only option for me is to take a bank loan and the interest rates are scaring me. I am from Bombay. Do you mind sharing your profile? 

12 hours ago, ishi said:

I've just been accepted at Oxford for an Mphil in Development Studies and I'm confused between confirming my IHEID offer or Oxford. Anyone else going through something similar? i could use some advice :)

Hi Ishi. What course have you been admitted into in IHEID? Did you get any funding from both the institutes? 

Hii! So at IHEID, I've gotten admission in international history and haven't secured any funding yet.
However, it would still cost me half as much as the Oxford course and from what i've gathered, the course is not really a deterrent, when looking for development policy internships.
What i am confused about is whether the Ofxord brand name and  course are going to work better when looking for a job or the internship and professional exposure that Geneva gives.

8 hours ago, ishi said:

Hii! So at IHEID, I've gotten admission in international history and haven't secured any funding yet.
However, it would still cost me half as much as the Oxford course and from what i've gathered, the course is not really a deterrent, when looking for development policy internships.
What i am confused about is whether the Ofxord brand name and  course are going to work better when looking for a job or the internship and professional exposure that Geneva gives.

Hi Ishi,

Both the places have their pros and cons. I am not sure about IO's in Geneva but from my work experience with UN, you will have an advantage with a Dev Studies degree over International History. It really depends on what you want to do afterwards. Oxford brand name will definitely carry weight. IHEID has an excellent reputation in Europe but it's not as well know internationally. If you're looking to work in International Development and money is not a big concern, go with Oxford. My two cents. Do talk to as many current students as you can and get more insight. All the best!

Hey everyone :) Does anyone know when admission results for "late applicants" were being released last year? On the website it says early April, but that can mean anything! Good luck to everyone who's still waiting to hear back from IHEID!