Women's/Feminist/Gender Studies Fall 2017

kekology4

1 hour ago, appleandpear said:

My York app still says "No Decision Yet," I wonder why? Hopefully, it will be updated today. 

Same. My thumbs hurt from checking myfile every 2min.

Edited by Liiahhhh

2 minutes ago, Liiahhhh said:

Same. My thumbs hurt from checking myfile every 2min.

I feel this. Looking at past years in the results section, it looks like this could mean anything from they haven't gotten around to it, to waitlist, or rejection. I guess I'll call on Monday if I haven't heard since they said this week?

This was last week Friday. You can't just play with our feelings like this, Susan!!! 

I've never been to the gym that much to distract myself. My whole body aches.

IMG_8195.JPG

Edited by Liiahhhh

49 minutes ago, Liiahhhh said:

This was last week Friday. You can't just play with our feelings like this, Susan!!! 

I've never been to the gym that much to distract myself. My whole body aches.

IMG_8195.JPG

I just called cause I'm a ball of anxiety and she said that MA offers still hadn't gone out? So, I don't know what that means in this case. 

Just now, appleandpear said:

I just called cause I'm a ball of anxiety and she said that MA offers still hadn't gone out? So, I don't know what that means in this case. 

She didn't say how long they'll continue to torture us? Mean.

20 hours ago, jasminecity said:

congratulations! York was my 1st choice and I'm honestly so happy to have heard from them this early. Have they emailed you yet? 

No email yet! It seems to take several days between notification and actually receiving the formal offer. 

Congratulations! I'm very excited as well!

On 2017/2/9 at 0:52 PM, NoirFemme said:

Congratulations!

Is getting a tenure track professor job your number goal? What is your research on?

The job market is pretty tough--as so many of professors have told me--and us interdisciplinary scholars risk unemployment/underemployment because universities only know how to function within traditional disciplines.

My advice: if Indiana fits you wonderfully, and it has a superb placement rate and excellent scholars with extensive contacts across the country, go there (and I recently read that to mitigate the risk of an interdisciplinary degree on the job market, you should fit yourself into a traditional discipline early on with regards to conferences, professional organizations, and publications--that is, you're a WGS doctorate student with an emphasis on history, so you go to AHA conferences, publish in history journals, etc). But if you can see yourself fitting just as comfortably in a traditional discipline at a different school, you should consider it. Especially if they have a WGS certificate/emphasis that's just as rigorous as a WGS program itself. 

Thanks! Great advice and sorry for getting back a bit late. 

Yes, my career goal is getting a tenure track job. I spoke to the DGS several times and he actually told me that he is optimistic about placement because women's and gender studies are still in the process of institutionalization in North America and thus a growing business. I don't know if it's true for other interdisciplinary programs such as American Studies or Area Studies. But from the placement record of the department, most of them landed on WGS department successfully (but they seldom return back to their disciplinary department so I think you are right that symbolic disciplinary boundaries indeed exist. ).

One of the professor there actually had a degree in American Studies but he has been teaching in the gender studies department since he graduated. So I guess to some extent, there might exist mobility between interdisciplinary programs? Don't know if that's the case (Or is American Studies program essentially different from area studies such as East Asia studies and we cannot make such generalizations?).

On 2017/2/9 at 8:18 AM, kekology4 said:

@suisui congratulations on your acceptance!

If you gave some more specific information on your project and the research you're interested in doing, that would help me give you advice. I think Women's and gender studies is a good place for working between the disciplines that you want to work with. 

Speaking of myself, I mainly study same-sex family and queer Asia studies. The former is kind of family studies PLUS sexuality studies; the latter is more of a combination of area studies and queer studies. I would say that my research is interdisciplinary in essence. So I will probably do the program in gender studies because this kind of research agenda does not fall into the core subfields of sociology and will probably face marginalization there. 

On 14/02/2017 at 5:53 AM, Samejken said:

Did anyone else apply to Arizona State? I'm still waiting to hear from 6 schools, and the anticipation is killing me. There are a couple I'm assuming are rejections because others have heard something, but I wish they'd just send me a rejection already. 

Got rejection from ASU. awaiting responses from UCs.

44 minutes ago, tanayamohanty4 said:

I'm still waiting for the decision from UCSB, UCSC and UCLA.. Haven't received anything.. any idea where to check status?

Looks like you can see ur status from UCSB here - 

https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/eapp/Login.aspx

and UCLA here - 

https://appstatus.grad.ucla.edu/Account/AppStatus.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2faccount%2flogin.aspx

3 hours ago, appleandpear said:

UCLA link does not work, and likely won't work until they upload our decision. 

8 hours ago, appleandpear said:

Thank you.

I don't see anything in the UCSB eapp. I log in everyday. Where is the message supposed to appear?

Also, with UCLA, it asks me not to expect anything until next month.

I'm always anxious and restless.

Hey there!!

I was wondering about WGS M.A.'s--do you think Ph.D. programs would feel comfortable hiring me with a non-literary MA? Do you think I'd feel competent enough in a literary program with a WGS grad degree? Does it vary upon departments and their respective curriculum, or is that degree generally not very literature-oriented? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Yanaka said:

Hey there!!

I was wondering about WGS M.A.'s--do you think Ph.D. programs would feel comfortable hiring me with a non-literary MA? Do you think I'd feel competent enough in a literary program with a WGS grad degree? Does it vary upon departments and their respective curriculum, or is that degree generally not very literature-oriented? Thanks!

I really think it would depend upon the department. My field is philosophy, and the discipline "policing" with philosophy is really bad. I think that a WGS MA would make me a prime candidate for a philosophy MA program with a lot of feminist philosophers, but I think it would be hard to compete in a pool of philosophy MA students for a philosophy PhD spot.

I think that it would be super attractive to prospective employers if you had grad degrees in both (especially with the high demand for WGS right now), but getting into a good phd program might be more difficult. However, it depends on the programs that you are applying to as well as the connections that your letter writers have at those programs. If it is a humanities/lit heavy department from which you are applying and the prospective department knows that based on the letters and reputation then I think you should be okay, but if not then it could be a weakness (though not necessarily an app killer). 

Hey everyone. I just got waitlisted for the Gender and Women's Studies MA program at UW-Madison. This is my top choice and the best fit for me out of all the programs I've researched. Please, if you get an admit and are thinking of accepting an offer somewhere else, decline your admit to UW-Madison as soon as possible so a spot can open up for me. <3 I will be forever thankful.

19 hours ago, MickeyRay said:

I really think it would depend upon the department. My field is philosophy, and the discipline "policing" with philosophy is really bad. I think that a WGS MA would make me a prime candidate for a philosophy MA program with a lot of feminist philosophers, but I think it would be hard to compete in a pool of philosophy MA students for a philosophy PhD spot.

I think that it would be super attractive to prospective employers if you had grad degrees in both (especially with the high demand for WGS right now), but getting into a good phd program might be more difficult. However, it depends on the programs that you are applying to as well as the connections that your letter writers have at those programs. If it is a humanities/lit heavy department from which you are applying and the prospective department knows that based on the letters and reputation then I think you should be okay, but if not then it could be a weakness (though not necessarily an app killer). 

Thanks for the input. It's kind of what I thought, and needed confirmation :) 

Another question to everybody: do you know what is the WGS M.A. at University of Louisville, Kentucky, deadline?

3 hours ago, tanayamohanty4 said:

I haven't received any mails. How do we check the decision?

I don't think any official decisions come out for a couple more weeks. I got a call from a professor on Tuesday telling me I was accepted, from the results page it looks like some other people got emails.

2 hours ago, kguptaa said:

I don't think any official decisions come out for a couple more weeks. I got a call from a professor on Tuesday telling me I was accepted, from the results page it looks like some other people got emails.

Congrats!

On 17/02/2017 at 7:37 PM, appleandpear said:

Haha I assume we will just have to wait until next week. Less than thrilled, but very happy to know it doesn't mean outright rejection. 

Sent another email to York asking for an update considering that it's been two weeks since they were supposed to sent out offers.... ?

10 minutes ago, Liiahhhh said:

Sent another email to York asking for an update considering that it's been two weeks since they were supposed to sent out offers.... ?

I was actually just gonna ask if you'd heard anything. Hopefully this week - but I know it's their spring break so maybe some prof's are away?

edit: im appleandpear but forgot i had made another account at my work lmao

Edited by ih82w8

1 hour ago, ih82w8 said:

I was actually just gonna ask if you'd heard anything. Hopefully this week - but I know it's their spring break so maybe some prof's are away?

edit: im appleandpear but forgot i had made another account at my work lmao

Ah great, so you haven't heard anything either?

Had no idea they had a break ? That's annoying!