Women's/Feminist/Gender Studies Fall 2017

kekology4

On 1/27/2017 at 1:09 AM, jasminecity said:

Hi folks,

Anyone in this forum apply to any Canadian universities? Waiting to hear back from York University in Toronto, McMaster and Western for MA in gender studies..

I'm still waiting to hear from University of British Columbia (PhD in Gender, Race, Sexuality, and Social Justice Studies). I check my email every 2 hours... :unsure:

On 1/28/2017 at 0:04 AM, dr.lafortune said:

where did you apply? do you identify as Muslim?

Yes I do - to make it more complicated I'm an Afro-Arab practicing Muslim and unveiled. I applied to York U in Toronto, McMaster, and Western 

Edited by jasminecity

3 minutes ago, jasminecity said:

Sweet, I've heard great things about UBC. Good luck although I'm sure you won't need it!!!! 

Thank you so much, right back at ya! What's your first choice? You've applied to York and McMaster as well, right? 

And I definitely need all the luck in the world. My UG is from Europe (our BA's are usually only three and not four years) and not in particular in Women's or Gender studies (I've taken a few units though) so I'm a little nervous. 

I'm wanting to do WGS in the context of anthropology. I applied to cultural anthropology programs at UIowa and SUNY Albany, and an archaeology program at SUNY Binghamton. Right now the research question I'm interested in pursuing is the impact European contact has on the gender/sexuality norms of indigenous peoples. I'm interested in the ethical issues of what stance anthropologists or global organizations should have on gender related issues in underdeveloped areas. 

5 hours ago, Liiahhhh said:

Thank you so much, right back at ya! What's your first choice? You've applied to York and McMaster as well, right? 

And I definitely need all the luck in the world. My UG is from Europe (our BA's are usually only three and not four years) and not in particular in Women's or Gender studies (I've taken a few units though) so I'm a little nervous. 

My first choice is York. Fingers crossed for the both of us. Let me know when you hear back from any of them and I will do the same :)

6 hours ago, The Shade King said:

Did you apply there? If so, and you end up going, I can tell you about the area.

Yes! That would be awesome, but I have to get in first. I applied to 9 schools as my last grad push. My GRE scores expire this year, so if I don't get in anywhere, I'll need to examine my next steps carefully. 

(sorry to ask again!) but has anyone heard from university of maryland or UCSB?? I see on the search results that people haven't really posted their acceptances for the past couple years to these places... :( 

On 1/28/2017 at 0:07 AM, dr.lafortune said:

Some schools allow it for a year. It's definitely not encouraged, and each school I research says you have to reach out to them. I made the mistake for the msw program I was accepted into last year. Most schools want direct correspondence; there isn't a place for it when you accept the offer april 15th

Thank you, that is helpful. Yes, it has been my impression that it is discouraged in most cases. I suppose it certainly doesn't instill much confidence if one chooses to do that...

I havent heard anything from UCLA (not sure if anyone else did) but I'm wondering how well known/ presitgious/ good of a program they are? I'm only asking because it's a fairly brand new program.  I'm pretty sure it was just created in 2012. I'm also a first generation student and I just have no idea the types of that carry good names or their reputation whether good or bad

Stony Brook gave me a day and a half to write a personal statement for this fellowship they nominated me for, and I can't determine if it should be single- or double-spaced! any advice? 

I've been notified by UBC! I'm admitted! Horraaaay!

Is there anyone else applying to UBC's Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality & Social Justice? Is anyone attending at the moment? I'd love to learn more about the program before deciding where to enrol (also admitted to USC's American Studies & Ethnicity as well as UCSB's Global Studies). I've never been to Vancouver, so any insight about being a grad student in Vancouver will be great as well.

I'm wishing everyone here who are still waiting for good news the very best of luck (although you might not need one) -- Sending unicorns of hope from rainy Jakarta :)

7 hours ago, SEAsianInternational said:

I've been notified by UBC! I'm admitted! Horraaaay!

(...)

I'm wishing everyone here who are still waiting for good news the very best of luck (although you might not need one) -- Sending unicorns of hope from rainy Jakarta :)

Congrats! Good job!!! Got really excited when I saw someone got accepted to UBC. Hopefully that means that they will start notifying Master applicants soon!

Thanks for the congratulations y'all! 

congratulations @SEAsianInternational! Keep us updated as you narrow down. 

I cant believe they gave me a day and a half to write this fellowship statement lol. They said the schedule was not theirs which I totally understand, but it put me in quite the predicament. 

@Shira70008 I'm applying to UCLA gender studies as well. To my knowledge it's considered one of the better programs. And the school itself UCLA has a great reputation. 

"UCLA is No. 2 among American public universities and No. 10 in the world, according to the U.S. News and World Report 2017 Best Global Universities rankings that were published today." Source