Boren 2017-2018

MA2020

His accent was horrible. Though I thought the production was pretty good. Not a big fan of the "'desirable' white American man in China" part of the film though.

14 minutes ago, kbui said:

His accent was horrible. Though I thought the production was pretty good. Not a big fan of the "'desirable' white American man in China" part of the film though.

Well they have to pick a skin color. Truth is it's probably easier for them to make that video and avoid charges of choosing a person of color because that makes it seem like minorities are " more likely to be corruptible ". It's a given someone or many someones would interpret it that way. 

Make it a Chinese American (you know, the ones who are actually targeted most often by their intelligence agencies) and you'd get cries of racism. 

Its easier for them to make it about a white kid. 

Edited by UnawareInGeneral

1 hour ago, d-hopper said:

Well, you saw it was based on a true story. They had Schriver interview from prison at the end.

Oh come on! I was only 3/4 of the way through it. Spoiler alert would have been nice. Next you'll be telling me that Snape kills Dumbledore or that Gandalf comes back in a later film. 

14 hours ago, Troglobite said:

They were supposed to be uploaded on Friday, I suspect we will have them Monday

Okay, cool. I think they should be out today too. I hope.

Also, I am sad to say I won't be able to meet any of you because I will be overseas during orientation :/ 

13 hours ago, kbui said:

I just watched the required video for the orientation, and it is so dramatic.

This is the link to the agenda for the day in case you're interested.

Thanks for this kbui, I had no previous link to this or was even aware of the existence of it.

@UnawareInGeneral Aw, you were kinda one of the people I was looking forward to meeting :'C

The Grant Document is in your email (or should be) for those of you intending to accept. 

And by in your email I mean the link to the portal that ostensibly has the grant document. 

I was kind of looking forward to some physical documents, maybe like a signed note of our acceptances. But I guess everything is online now.

9 hours ago, kbui said:

I was kind of looking forward to some physical documents, maybe like a signed note of our acceptances. But I guess everything is online now.

I received an official letter in the mail, did you not get one?

33 minutes ago, Tayarex said:

I received an official letter in the mail, did you not get one?

Not yet. Maybe tomorrow?

And you're in Boston?

Actually, I think because I'm going to move soon that I wrote down my parents' address. They just sent it to me.

The new logo does not reflect the prestigiousness and class that the old one brought.

iie_logo_before_after.png

Edited by kbui

On 4/24/2017 at 11:13 PM, kbui said:

Not yet. Maybe tomorrow?

And you're in Boston?

My letter was sent to MD but I attend school in Boston. 

Did anyone try to RSVP yet? I am getting an error :/ 

1 hour ago, MisterMeeseeks said:

Just curious how you all plan to supplement your funding while you're overseas. Are some of you doing this in conjunction with grad school programs and funding? Is anyone just going over solely for language learning?

I intend to compete in local baccarat tournaments.

Also yes, my Boren is entirely language study. 

2 hours ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

I intend to compete in local baccarat tournaments.

Also yes, my Boren is entirely language study. 

LOL! wait, unless you're serious...

i'm just trying to figure out how to stretch this money as long as possible

1 hour ago, MisterMeeseeks said:

LOL! wait, unless you're serious...

i'm just trying to figure out how to stretch this money as long as possible

I am the exact opposite of serious. 

I am actually at the end of a very long life transition kind of process. I left my previous career 5 years ago to go back to school. Now that my masters is in the bag and I'm going to China for a year, I'm getting rid of a lot of my old stuff that I just don't need as I'm done with my college student phase. I explained my budget in the PM I sent you as well, so whatever things I sell off and escape the burden of, just adds to the funds I have to spend while I'm on the program (and as I said in my pm the cost of living is LOW where I'm headed)

On 4/28/2017 at 9:38 AM, MisterMeeseeks said:

Just curious how you all plan to supplement your funding while you're overseas. Are some of you doing this in conjunction with grad school programs and funding? Is anyone just going over solely for language learning?

I have to take out a loan to cover the rest. I am doing a grad program, so it will be a fed. loan :/ 

On 4/21/2017 at 10:03 PM, UnawareInGeneral said:

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm glad to see you are 32, in school, and pursuing fellowships like this. I'm your age, and I'm finishing my masters in a school where I'm 6-7 years older than the average student. I thought maybe I was too old to go spend an entire year abroad on my language. Good to see other students my age in pursuit of the same things.

I was worried about this until I asked my professors about it. They all said just accept it and go get the language study in, it's paid for and it makes you more valuable for the rest of your life. Two of them actually laughed at me and said I was half their age, why was I asking them what "too old" is. 

Well, I met and married my wife during school here so I'll be away from her for a full year if I get this. Longest so far has been three months last summer before we married. If I don't get it, I'll continue on with my third year and try again next year.