Boren 2017-2018

MA2020

1 hour ago, ladyben-kenobi said:

Unaware, please let me know your status as well. I believe you also once mentioned that you received emails from Boren after the Budget Update email, super curious to see if it is an indicator for the fellowship scholars at least.

@ everyone who is reading

For the record, I only received the survey and budget Update email from Boren. Today I received an unofficial email with small details telling me about the status of my application.

Kenobi, 

I just got my email. I was awarded the fellowship for Mandarin language study. Now to decide if I'm too old to be taking another year before going back to work. 

I'm so nervous I haven't received anything yet. But my friend who also applied and didn't get it told me that she received hers already, and @UnawareInGeneral just got an acceptance. I feel like maybe I should've been in at least one of those email rounds.

Edited by kbui

2 minutes ago, kbui said:

I'm so nervous I haven't received anything yet. But my friend who also applied and didn't get it told me that she received hers already, and the @UnawareInGeneral just got an acceptance. I feel like maybe I should've been in at least one of those email rounds.

and I was an alternate for the fellowship, so that's all three options already sent out to people.

48 minutes ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

Kenobi, 

I just got my email. I was awarded the fellowship for Mandarin language study. Now to decide if I'm too old to be taking another year before going back to work. 

I'm so happy for you, congratulations, and please don't say you're too old. 

Fun fact: I have a Dad who finished his BA in his early 40s

Damn, we're only missing Swiss, I find it really interesting how most of us who constantly lurked in this thread received it. *crosses fingers for Swiss*

3 minutes ago, kbui said:

And congratulations @ladyben-kenobi, I was rooting for you to get it! Are you excited? What decision will you make?

YOU TOO,  KBUI. lol I got the notification hours ago but I'm still so excited and jumping up and down. Thanks so much, my mother pretty much called and told me "you're going to Latvia." I'm staying at the hospital with her tonight but my dad has informed me that her bone marrow transplant went very well, she's just in recovery at the hospital now.

6 minutes ago, ladyben-kenobi said:

YOU TOO,  KBUI. lol I got the notification hours ago but I'm still so excited and jumping up and down. Thanks so much, my mother pretty much called and told me "you're going to Latvia." I'm staying at the hospital with her tonight but my dad has informed me that her bone marrow transplant went very well, she's just in recovery at the hospital now.

I'm really glad to hear that it went well for her. I'm imagining what I would do if my mother was going through the same thing, and it's heart wrenching just to think about it.

So excited for all of us in the Cafe who got it!

And for those who didn't receive it, I feel your pain. I was rejected from Fulbright three times and Harvard once before I got in, and so there's still a lot of hope for those who are persistent. I remember I was feeling so down on myself because I just spent 3+ months on each application, and it wasn't fruitful. I felt so sad and disappointed, and I remember the moment when I was driving back with some co-workers and my mood completely changed. I do wish the best for you, and if you have questions for applying later, I'm sure I speak for everyone here that we are more than willing to help.

35 minutes ago, ladyben-kenobi said:

I'm so happy for you, congratulations, and please don't say you're too old. 

Fun fact: I have a Dad who finished his BA in his early 40s

Damn, we're only missing Swiss, I find it really interesting how most of us who constantly lurked in this thread received it. *crosses fingers for Swiss*

Oh I'm not in my early 40s..... but props to your dad :) 

I have some faculty at my college and some connections at the agencies and organizations I'd like to work for that I need to reach out and see what they think about delaying another year before going back to work. 

Better to have the choice than not though, so I'm glad that whatever it was they liked about my application was positively received. 

20 minutes ago, kbui said:

And @SwissMister, did you hear back yet?

Sadly, no, I was not selected for the Fellowship. But, I'm not too upset about it. Like I mentioned before, there have been some recent updates on job applications and personal life that would have prevented me from accepting the award. I guess it's just better that it went to someone who is able to pursue the opportunity to its fullest. I am so excited for everyone who received the award! I hope that it is everything that you hoped for and more, and that it really is a launchpad for great things in your future careers and personal lives. 

I won't be applying again, given that I'm about to start my thesis. But, here's to hoping that my prospective career will take me to Indonesia and other amazing places around the globe. 

Edited by SwissMister

3 minutes ago, SwissMister said:

Sadly, no, I was not selected for the Fellowship. But, I'm not too upset about it. Like I mentioned before, there have been some recent updates on job applications and personal life that would have prevented me from accepting the award. I guess it's just better that it went to someone who is able to pursue the opportunity to its fullest. I am so excited for everyone who received the award! I hope that it is everything that you hoped for and more, and that it really is a launchpad for great things in your future careers and personal lives. 

I won't be applying again, given that I'm about to start my thesis. But, here's to hoping that my prospective career will take me to Indonesia and other amazing places.

Hey, Swiss, I'm so sad to hear that. I was totally rooting for you, but I was also rooting that your job applications have turned out really well, still really excited for those job app updates :D I hope your prospective career takes you everywhere too!

1 minute ago, ladyben-kenobi said:

Hey, Swiss, I'm so sad to hear that. I was totally rooting for you, but I was also rooting that your job applications have turned out really well, still really excited for those job app updates :D I hope your prospective career takes you everywhere too!

Thanks, ladyben-kenobi. Glad to hear that your mother's surgery went well. Best wishes to you and your family. 

Congrats again to all the folks who got accepted. To those that were rejected, I hope you get another chance.

It seems I'm the only one on the alternate list for the fellowship in this thread. I know one person who was selected off that list last cycle. What do you think my chances are this cycle?

50 minutes ago, d-hopper said:

Congrats again to all the folks who got accepted. To those that were rejected, I hope you get another chance.

It seems I'm the only one on the alternate list for the fellowship in this thread. I know one person who was selected off that list last cycle. What do you think my chances are this cycle?

I can't say honestly but I can tell you this. The deadline for first round acceptance is May 1st for getting in the documentation. They should know who the first drop outs from the initial acceptance group then. 

26 minutes ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

I can't say honestly but I can tell you this. The deadline for first round acceptance is May 1st for getting in the documentation. They should know who the first drop outs from the initial acceptance group then. 

Thanks. That is info I didn't have, but it helps.

Congratulations to everyone who got it! Obviously, it's a great opportunity. Unfortunately, I didn't get the fellowship. I was pretty upset when I first saw the email, but I'm feeling a lot better now. Will try to apply next year. Do you know if you can request feedback on your application from Boren? Would be curious to find out what I can improve going forward. 

Anyways, congrats again!!

19 minutes ago, PhilzatBerkely said:

Congratulations to everyone who got it! Obviously, it's a great opportunity. Unfortunately, I didn't get the fellowship. I was pretty upset when I first saw the email, but I'm feeling a lot better now. Will try to apply next year. Do you know if you can request feedback on your application from Boren? Would be curious to find out what I can improve going forward. 

Anyways, congrats again!!

You have a PM!

1 hour ago, kbui said:

I am so excited! I can't do any work because I keep on thinking about this. Anybody have the same experience?

Haha, well I only have one week left to do basically all of whatever remains for my last semester here. So I wish I had any amount of time to be too excited to work. I'll do that in a couple of weeks when my work is done and I come home from D.C.

9 hours ago, mastersbound said:

Nice! I got it for Urdu. Is there a facebook group or something?

Not sure, I looked but didn't see anything.

I am now in the situation to choose between the CLS and the SAFLI boren..... anyone have any experience with one program or the other or think one would be better for any reason? Anything at all would help!