Boren 2017-2018

MA2020

28 minutes ago, TrynaLearnHindi said:

Not sure, I looked but didn't see anything.

I am now in the situation to choose between the CLS and the SAFLI boren..... anyone have any experience with one program or the other or think one would be better for any reason? Anything at all would help!

SAFLI Boren can't be moved to Fall and Spring, or Fall, Spring andd then the following summer instead of the preceding summer? Ask the Boren people about it before you decide. I was awarded Boren and CLS and so my Boren just won't start until August. Once you are accepted into a Boren program, if there is any room for flexibility regarding other awards or responsibilities they are good about working with you to the extent that your particular Boren allows. Lots and lots of people adjust their Boren after being awarded the fellowship. Your acceptance to Boren is more about the total package you sent in than just your choice of program and where to study. That's the most malleable part really. 

Edited by UnawareInGeneral

Hey all,

I got my notification this morning that I am listed as an alternate for undergraduate Bahasa Indonesia. I was awarded CLS for this summer so it's not as much of a bummer as it could have been, but I'm still pretty heartbroken. There doesn't seem to be a ton of information on the likelihood of being selected at this point although, for those of you here who are also alternates, my uni representative did tell me that there are a decent amount of us who end up getting to participate every year...if anybody knows more about this I'd love to hear. 

Also, congratulations to everybody who was selected!! 

15 hours ago, UnawareInGeneral said:

SAFLI Boren can't be moved to Fall and Spring, or Fall, Spring andd then the following summer instead of the preceding summer? Ask the Boren people about it before you decide. I was awarded Boren and CLS and so my Boren just won't start until August. Once you are accepted into a Boren program, if there is any room for flexibility regarding other awards or responsibilities they are good about working with you to the extent that your particular Boren allows. Lots and lots of people adjust their Boren after being awarded the fellowship. Your acceptance to Boren is more about the total package you sent in than just your choice of program and where to study. That's the most malleable part really. 

No, the SAFLI Boren is a set program, mandatory participation in the Madison Wisc summer program and the specific fall program..its already planned out. I have to choose one or the other, and I decided I am going to forfeit the CLS for the Boren. 2 months of language study vs 6.. had ta do it!

3 minutes ago, TrynaLearnHindi said:

No, the SAFLI Boren is a set program, mandatory participation in the Madison Wisc summer program and the specific fall program..its already planned out. I have to choose one or the other, and I decided I am going to forfeit the CLS for the Boren. 2 months of language study vs 6.. had ta do it!

Gotcha. I'd say you made the right call IMO. 

I didn't know SAFLI was more structured, my Boren proposal was literally so flexible I could start it any Monday of any month between the beginning and end of the window for this cycle. 

On 4/17/2017 at 2:13 PM, ladyben-kenobi said:

YOU TOO,  KBUI. lol I got the notification hours ago but I'm still so excited and jumping up and down. Thanks so much, my mother pretty much called and told me "you're going to Latvia." I'm staying at the hospital with her tonight but my dad has informed me that her bone marrow transplant went very well, she's just in recovery at the hospital now.

I'm a little late to this forum, but I'll be headed to Estonia on the fellowship. Anyone else headed to the Baltics/VT for intensive Russian this summer? 

On 4/18/2017 at 2:44 PM, TrynaLearnHindi said:

Damn, this has me wishing I had applied for CLS.

Edited by StrugglingUNCStudent

7 hours ago, Troglobite said:

I'm a little late to this forum, but I'll be headed to Estonia on the fellowship. Anyone else headed to the Baltics/VT for intensive Russian this summer? 

Not Russian, but in the periphery. I'm an alternate for Georgia/Georgian.

8 hours ago, Troglobite said:

I sent you a PM C:

to the alternates, according to past threads in the forum, alternates have actually moved quite a bit, but there are no odds or statistics. It would be really useful if there were though.

15 minutes ago, ladyben-kenobi said:

I sent you a PM C:

to the alternates, according to past threads in the forum, alternates have actually moved quite a bit, but there are no odds or statistics. It would be really useful if there were though.

It would be nice to see stats. I figure if it doesn't happen on the first round of passes, it probably won't. There were no Georgian fellows last year, so I honestly have no idea if I turned in the only proposal for that country or language.

As an aside I'm curious as to y'alls grad programs. A classmate got awarded a fellowship last year from my school but I don't think people in my field apply that often.

2 hours ago, d-hopper said:

It would be nice to see stats. I figure if it doesn't happen on the first round of passes, it probably won't. There were no Georgian fellows last year, so I honestly have no idea if I turned in the only proposal for that country or language.

As an aside I'm curious as to y'alls grad programs. A classmate got awarded a fellowship last year from my school but I don't think people in my field apply that often.

Masters in IA, undergrad in STEM, work experience in STEM, 7 years living overseas, 6 years prior government service, 8 months intensive language study in target country prior to applying. It's more than my grad program, but it's all relevant to what they look at.

3 hours ago, d-hopper said:

I'm probably as vanilla as it gets, BA in IR and a foreign language, currently getting my MA in international affairs (security studies) - Great to see that you might be headed to Georgia I think last year Central Asia was the primary attraction (with at least one in the Baltics) 

Edited by Troglobite

Hey guys! I'm super late, and have been a total lurker on this forum. I'm a MPH Epi/Biostats student from Chicago and I'm going to be a boren fellow in Brazil studying zika, pharmacoepi and bioterrorism! (oh and ofc portuguese haha). Would love to connect with any other Latin American Boren Fellows/Scholars!

1 hour ago, misomonster said:

Hey guys! I'm super late, and have been a total lurker on this forum. I'm a MPH Epi/Biostats student from Chicago and I'm going to be a boren fellow in Brazil studying zika, pharmacoepi and bioterrorism! (oh and ofc portuguese haha). Would love to connect with any other Latin American Boren Fellows/Scholars!

Puerto Rican Boren Scholar, your zika studies are super relevant in my country ironically. Always proud when there's an interest in Latin America.

1 hour ago, misomonster said:

Interestingly enough, I'm 60% certain I contracted Zik V while working in Jamaica last year. It's definitely a problem in the region, and it's spreading.

So, I'm in law school. 32. BA in History, will have a JD and LLm from here next May assuming I don't get off the alternate list. I have zero experience in my selected language. 1 year as a cop, 5 years in logistics. About 12 years living overseas with a fraction of that working.

On 4/19/2017 at 4:49 PM, StrugglingUNCStudent said:

I'm an alternate for the Boren Scholarship, specifically SAFLI for Hindi. Anyone know what the odds are that alternates get shifted in? I was kinda hoping to ramp up my Hindi skills.

Hey there, my friend was selected for SAFLI Hindi scholarship as well and she decided to turn it down and take the CLS instead, so there's definitely hope for you! (She hasn't officially declined it yet, stay tuned...)

On 4/20/2017 at 11:41 AM, d-hopper said:

Interestingly enough, I'm 60% certain I contracted Zik V while working in Jamaica last year. It's definitely a problem in the region, and it's spreading.

So, I'm in law school. 32. BA in History, will have a JD and LLm from here next May assuming I don't get off the alternate list. I have zero experience in my selected language. 1 year as a cop, 5 years in logistics. About 12 years living overseas with a fraction of that working.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm glad to see you are 32, in school, and pursuing fellowships like this. I'm your age, and I'm finishing my masters in a school where I'm 6-7 years older than the average student. I thought maybe I was too old to go spend an entire year abroad on my language. Good to see other students my age in pursuit of the same things.

I was worried about this until I asked my professors about it. They all said just accept it and go get the language study in, it's paid for and it makes you more valuable for the rest of your life. Two of them actually laughed at me and said I was half their age, why was I asking them what "too old" is. 

Hey, I have been lurking! Haha. I am a J.D. student going into my third year of law school. I received the fellowship to learn Japanese law and International Law while focusing on the South/East China sea dispute :]  I also will be interning in Korea this summer! So if anyone will be in Japan in spring 2018 or Korea Summer 2017, let me know!

Sidenote -- has anyone received their grant document? Either I am missing it completely or I am looking in the wrong place. 

17 minutes ago, Tayarex said:

Hey, I have been lurking! Haha. I am a J.D. student going into my third year of law school. I received the fellowship to learn Japanese law and International Law while focusing on the South/East China sea dispute :]  I also will be interning in Korea this summer! So if anyone will be in Japan in spring 2018 or Korea Summer 2017, let me know!

Sidenote -- has anyone received their grant document? Either I am missing it completely or I am looking in the wrong place. 

It's not just you on the grant document. 

29 minutes ago, kbui said:

I just watched the required video for the orientation, and it is so dramatic.

This is the link to the agenda for the day in case you're interested.

Alas, I won't get to meet you folks at orientation. I would have liked to, I'll already be on CLS at that time though. 

I did watch that video, but I received the loose lips sink ships talk so many times I don't even like to meet new people now for fear that I'll kill hundreds of sailors by accident. 

Also, the voiceover in the video of the guy who "went abroad to study Mandarin" is full of improperly pronounced Chinese words. C- for production quality.