-
Posts
1,410 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
9
Everything posted by Horb
-
Hey all. This wait is killing me. How certain are we that their offices close at 5pm rather than 6pm???? I'm just hopeful I guess.
-
Haha. Welcome the the party! I applied for Fulbright last year and well...that was worse for me than this currently is; however, I'm still refreshing my email like crazy. Hopefully tomorrow!
-
I switch between refreshing grad cafe and my email. I made a folder for anything with DAAD or the name of the grant so that when the email comes, I can have some time to collect myself (and perhaps ready the wine?).
-
Haha. I wouldn't say confident. I've been applying for jobs like crazy bc I assume I won't get it, but a girl can dream I was told by a few people I had a strong application, but who knows what they are looking for?
-
I do too, if only to be optimistic! I want this so much! I'm already looking at flight costs. . .
-
It's a bummer you didn't get it. I hope an even better opportunity comes your way!
-
Gonna keep panicking then for another week Unless something happens between now and 5pm.
-
I've never been to Hamburg! I studied in Tübingen as an undergrad and loved it. But I found I became a bit rusty when not constantly surrounded by German, so I'm hoping to take some more german courses when I return from Marburg (assuming I get it). How do you like your program of study?
-
That is amazing! I'm looking to apply for a Fulbright once I finish my MA. I'm debating between the UK and Germany.
-
I applied for Marburg and Bonn (I'm hoping Marburg). I really would like to find out by the 27th, but we will see! Otherwise I might just take a job opportunity and apply again next year. Where are you hoping to study? I also looked for something in France (I need to learn French for my degree) and I couldn't find anything. If I do in my continued search efforts, I'll be sure to tell you.
-
I wish I had a portal to check! Though then I'd be constantly refreshing this forum and that >.<
-
Is it bad I'm still hoping for this week? I was told to expect a decision by the end of March. . . but maybe they will surprise us with news today?
-
marXian, I heard from someone at the DAAD that results should be coming soon (end of March/early April). Still leaves a week or two left, but hey! It is better than hearing at the end of April!
-
Same! I have two job interviews for summer positions so I'd really like to know next week so I can decide!
-
Hey all, I contacted the DAAD to figure out a timeline for notifications. I was told end of March/early April. I'm hoping for next week!
-
I've been called twice. Each time I was given one request to move it that was automatically granted (it says so on the jury website) and additional requests are subject to approval. Did you already make an initial request? Unless they changed it, you should be able to at least get that.
-
I need to find out about the DAAD. I applied for summer jobs as a contingency plan, thinking that if I applied now I'd hear from them in two weeks or so for interviews (if I got to that stage). I'm hearing back already and don't want to make a decision until I know about the DAAD for sure.
-
I'm debating applying for the UK next year or the ETA to Germany. I'll have completed an MA in English, and will be continuing on to a PhD (which would be delayed if I got the grant). Does anyone know about the difficulty of getting the ETA if you have more advanced work than a BA? Are you less likely to get it?
-
I'm not sure. I only found a few people who posted on the results page. I know there is a spreadsheet floating for Fulbrights. Perhaps we should make one for the DAAD?
-
Hi! I'm not sure how useful this will be, but taxes paid depends on how you file/what you have regularly deducted. If your school does not take out taxes, then you should check to see if this is actually taxable (some fellowships are not). If it is taxable, then you should look into whether or not you will have to pay quarterly taxes. If you look up on the IRS website, it mentions that if you do not pay quarterly taxes, you can end up being fined/have to pay fees. I don't full understand why they just can't send a bill with taxes owed, but whatever. As for the amount of taxes: Some states do taxes based on income level. For instance, the first $9,000 of a $15,000 stipend might be taxed as one percentage and then the rest at another, which could reduce your tax from say 20% to 15%. For what it is worth, I was taken about 20 percent when I worked in retail. I imagine this would be similar to a fellowship, since they both fall under earned income. But I'm not an accountant, so I'm not fully certain if fellowships are indeed taxed differently.
