Mystic_Sunshine
Members-
Posts
233 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
13
Everything posted by Mystic_Sunshine
-
PhD English - 2026 Application Cycle
Mystic_Sunshine replied to hm25's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
best of luck! -
My advice to people is try not to check it a gazillion times a day. It made my mental health 100% worse. Also best of luck to everyone ❤️
-
I applied to majority PhD programs but I will say I heard from ohio state first last year then illinois and then nothing for a while lol.
-
PhD English - 2026 Application Cycle
Mystic_Sunshine replied to hm25's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I've heard from Syracuse (but not CW). I'm assuming most schools will start having significant movement at end of Jan/early Feb. -
I don't have advice but I have a few points. 1. This is extremely unprofessional. It also is close to violating FERPA (which technically you can cover up identifying info but how do you know this was done??) Also, I doubt highly that any CW professor would reject on a transcript alone unless you literally don't meet the min requirements set by the graduate school. 2. The most important part is the writing sample. Everyone I'v ever encountered has said this including faculty, staff, CW profs, students in MFA programs ect. I'm ultimately not sure why they did this. I had someone who id never taken a workshop with write my letter for MFA programs. and I had CW faculty write for my phd programs in a field they don't teach or having a lot of knowledge on(I have an MA now not an MFA and am applying to Phds). I'm sorry. All you can do is ask. And maybe think of another back up? a letter from someone is better than no one.
-
PhD English - 2026 Application Cycle
Mystic_Sunshine replied to hm25's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Rhet comp with an emphasis in cultural rhetorics. You? -
PhD English - 2026 Application Cycle
Mystic_Sunshine replied to hm25's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I applied to Penn state, Madison, and Austin. -
PhD English - 2026 Application Cycle
Mystic_Sunshine replied to hm25's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Thank your creating the thread!! Is Anyone rhet comp? I've applied to 10 schools and plan to apply to 2 more. -
Welcome back I know you asked this a while ago but I want to answer as someone who currently works in higher ed - People are still the same and region matters a lot in the United States for political climate. In traditionally blue states, people are going to be more liberal and accepting and in red states you may encounter some not so nice folks (though I think the south gets a bad rep but there are some amazing and wonderful people and its never all bad) I think finding your community is what matters most. That being also being said, I think what matters more is immigration policy. I don't want to be cynical or scare anyone but the current administration is actively trying to make it harder for international students. Things change monthly but they've only gotten worse. Usually, the university isn't to blame, but is heavily impacted by politics. I would not be surprised if many students were not able to get visas for Fall 2026. Be prepared for social media screenings and things like that. Also, if you are accepted expect to work with your schools international student support office. They have people specifically trained in immigration whereas an English department will not. Your work is important!
-
Welcome back
-
Thank you for letting me know! I guess you and the last other person accepted yesterday/today. Not the news I wanted but it's okay I feel good about having to reapply. And at least I did get waitlisted so not a total bust. And I'm happy now that I can just put this cycle to rest finally and plan my next year out.
-
Does anyone know if you don't hear back from a waitlist today if that means that likely you didn't make it off? I think for Ole Miss there was 2 spots left (and one of them has filled) and they both were given a deadline of today. So I know I wasn't super likely to get off the waitlist but I'm ready to just accept whatever outcome and prepare for another application cycle.
-
Thank you That is really kind and you are right! Knowing that someone did like my work is reassuring and hopefully a sign that if this year isn't my year, another might be.
-
@gradschoolpspspsps @jinny-r I also received a waitlist email. However, I'm trying to remain really detached from the whole thing. I don't want to be optimistic at all because it may not turn into an acceptance. But now I do have something to be anxious over again. I'm hoping it does but idk
-
I'm officially jumping ship from the forums since there is no reason for me to check in anymore! Congrats to all of those of you have received/accepted offers. I hope you have the very best time in your programs. ❤️ Thank you for all your support. And for those of you who didn't receive offers. It sucks and I feel it. And I hope you're okay and things work out in time.
-
Thank you I appreciate the info.
-
You've got some really great choices so hoping you make it off the waitlist at the place that is best for you! Do you know how many ole miss accepted? Wondering if it is worth reapplying again next year.
-
LSU rejecting me with the wrong name is crazy.
-
Have you decided which of your waitlist is your top choice?
-
Yeah I've been kind of thinking maybe they went out since nonfic and poetry did. I know they usually don't reject until April. I don't think waitlists got reported for the other genres either. Secret waitlists are evil. Honestly, I just want the closesure haha. I'm already planning for next year
-
Good morning! I don't understand why UNLV is so far behind. Hoping you get your funding news soon.
-
@Chex @jinny-r Just wanted to say how sorry I am! I maybe (naively) was super optimistic about Mississippi. So I understand the disappointment. I doubt there was anything wrong with our applications. They probably just had a ranked list and only sent out acceptances/waitlist to the top whatever out of that number. Which sucks. Hoping for good things for the both of you (even if that isn't an MFA this year).
-
So sorry! I'm dealing with the same thing. Gonna take until May to relax and do things I've been to stressed to do and focus on moving and then it's back to writing so I can reapply.
-
At this point, I only have UNLV left to hear from and so I'm not holding out any hope. Thank you though! I'm very fortunate to have an amazing partner who has been very supportive throughout this process. And yeah! I defend my thesis in April so hopefully that goes well and now I guess the world is my oyster so hopefully I can find something great until it's time to reapply again.
-
I really appreciate your encouragement! I think I'm down and out for this season but that is okay(not really I've sobbed a lot but it will be okay) It's hard for me because I'm not straight out of undergrad (I've had a career and a masters degree) so it's a little daunting to go through it all over again but I'm glad people like you (and some others) have shared your experience about reapplying.
