Mystic_Sunshine
Members-
Posts
233 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
13
Everything posted by Mystic_Sunshine
-
Did it come from the same email that notified about round 2? I still haven't heard so getting a little down
-
Yeah it is. But that is still crazy high.
-
1200 applicants for Brown is willddd.
-
OMG!! Amazing :)))
-
Me but with Mississippi. I know they said 2 weeks last Monday and they are taking that mighty literal.
-
This probably isn't true for all programs - but most have verbiage like that in their handbook. My funded MA program does. However, literally no one in the department cares if you have another job as long as you maintain a B average, attend class/do your work, and fulfill all the requirements of your assistantship. I know a lot of people who have other jobs. I mean the reality is most professors were broke grad students at some point too. So a lot of them are going to understand. But I don't think anyone in my program asked for permission.
-
For me I just prioritized the following things: 1. Location 2. Stipend 3. Reputation 4. Opportunities (lit mags mostly)
-
(Not based on any evidence whatsoever) but I'm assuming a lot of schools will want decisions out before AWP.
-
best of luck with the funding and with the choosing Keep us updated for where you end up I'm invested in where all my silly little forum friends end up.
-
Same! Even though I don't think I'm going to get news until later in the week/early next week. But I'm sooooo antsy.
-
I only see University of San Francisco
-
An MA is great! and you can always still pursue an MFA after
-
for me it's mississippi (my top choice so universe pls) and UNLV. Which I honestly don't think UNLV exists at this point. I'm starting to think any acceptances for it just weren't on draft. Brown has been scaring a lot of people. Idk why they take so long.
-
It's okay Are you officially out for the season? I still have a couple of schools so I'm hoping for good news soon.
-
I got the standard no one liked your manuscript lol so not everyone gets it!
-
I think it makes a difference too because of student engagement. My students have to take rhet comp. A lot of them aren't interested and don't like it. Whereas with creative writing it is usually not that way. So, part of the draining part is having to get students to engage.
-
I'm in a funded MA program. So, I teach a 2/2. I've only ever taught rhet comp so I can't speak on your last question. 1. I think a lot of the manageability depends on the support your program gives you. If they have resources available and your primary responsibility is to just use the curriculum given to you, it is really fine. I think if I would not have had support though I would have potentially found it overwhelming. 2. Teaching eats as much time as you let it. So I schedule the time I dedicate to teaching. 3. It also depends on class sizes. I have more students this semester and grading takes me a lot longer than it did last semester. 4. Everything gets easier after you've done it once. I'd always give preference for a program (I think) that does 1/2 or 1/1 though just because writing time is valuable. I think more importantly, when your teaching starts is good to look at. I think not teaching in the first year or semester is extremely important because it gives you time to adjust.
-
I'm from the south so if you (or anyone else) wants to chat about it if you're considering those options I'd be happy too. Knoxville is not what I'd consider deep south. Mississippi most definitely is though lol.
-
Oh nice! Hopefully them reaching out means they are ready to send out decisions soon. I know someone else on here said 2 weeks but I'm hoping that maybe we get lucky and hear back next week. Hoping for good news for us both Based on your waitlist you'll potentially have some great options! UTK has a super nice stipend. Knoxville is amazing and I can't stress enough how much I love the surrounding towns. Knoxville is also cool because it's near other cities that aren't bad either. I've spent a lot of time around there and still do. I also really like Phoenix.
-
Oh cool! I'm one of the people waiting on Mississippi (also fiction) so thanks for saying they reached out!
-
Welcome to the group! Are you a fiction or poetry applicant?
-
I know many people have answered this but I forgot. I just am finishing up a 2 year program masters program and while I (like many others) like the idea of a 3 year program I will say that two years feels like forever if you hate where you are living. I don't think I could fathom another year where I live currently. So, I'm thankful my degree is 2 years. So, ultimately I think location plays a huggee role. And I would have opted for a two year program over a three if I got into a more desirable location. Your program can feel like such a large part of your life. And it is. But it can be incredibly isolating when it is the center of your universe because you don't have other things around you to spend your time doing. I can elaborate but I think everyone gets the point.
-
This season has felt longgg.
-
would be so cool if several of us end up cohort mates Wishing you the best of luck.
-
Thank you!!! Hoping for the best for you!
