-
Posts
1,327 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
23
Everything posted by 1Q84
-
So is biking, driving a car, and being a pedestrian considering how insane Angelinos get once they hit asphalt. I figure I've improved my chances of living by 80% by staying off the freeway. Awesome! Thanks!
- 395 replies
-
- cost
- fellowship
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Is it really free scooter parking on UCLA campus? Good to know... I ride a Stella and I'm around Santa Monica at the moment.
- 395 replies
-
- cost
- fellowship
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
The Graduate School Ponzi Scheme
1Q84 replied to VirtualMessage's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
But let's all remember that not everyone on TGC is a super-keener like many of us are in this thread. Sure, we all spend a lot of time obsessing over questions posed in here but if any random lurker or newbie comes and reads through the thread, I still think some benefit is to be had for them--even if that's just knowing that this contentious issue is even being discussed. I really think if this topic bugs people so much, they should just stay away. It's pretty simple. All the people coming in and trying to clamp down on conversation (even if it seems circular) aren't doing much to help the situation much either. Let's do this. -
APRIL 15TH PARTY THREAD (2015 edition)
1Q84 replied to 1Q84's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
-
APRIL 15TH PARTY THREAD (2015 edition)
1Q84 replied to 1Q84's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Just handed in my MA thesis. More celebration! -
Handed in MA thesis! WAHOO!
-
APRIL 15TH PARTY THREAD (2015 edition)
1Q84 replied to 1Q84's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
YES. I'm told I was officially admitted but haven't received registration info yet. I'm currently staring blissfully at course offerings! Ohhhh... Amazon used book buying is my guilty pleasure! -
I know nerves are probably very high for some today so for those of you boring a hole into your inbox with your laser eye beams, come in and blow off some steam! Get a back rub! Have a mojito! We're all cheering for you in here. For those who have made their decisions, whatever they may be, come in and celebrate, commiserate, or simply reclinate (I know that's not a word)! Whatever, let Jim Carrey kiss you on stage! I should add: no matter what we all end up doing, we're all move on from this point. Forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
-
Me me me! I'm super, super excited. Haven't had a chance to look around campus fully yet.
-
Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)
1Q84 replied to 1Q84's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Congrats Radcafe and Jean Luc!!!!!!!! -
Yes, they're even extracting water from water tables that are tens of thousands of years old now. http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/03/california-pumping-water-fell-earth-20000-years-ago California may always have had water problems, as BBQ says, but this is just asking to make it worse.
-
I want to just give up on this MA thesis but I also don't want my readers to think I'm a complete moron.
-
What aspect of graduate student life surprised you the most?
1Q84 replied to inkgraduate's topic in Officially Grads
Yes, this has been causing me quite a bit of anxiety lately. SNPCracklePop, do you mind mentioning what field you're in? -
Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)
1Q84 replied to 1Q84's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I really wish we could all hang out in one room and drink some cocoa while we wait for the last minute offers to come in. I can't imagine what you all are feeling! Sending unicorn and leprechaun vibes to all still waiting! -
Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)
1Q84 replied to 1Q84's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
And (only if this is truly the case), letting them know that you would accept an offer from them on the spot should one come could help light a fire under their butts. I know for sure some programs are less eager to hustle for you if they think that you'll just end up going somewhere else. It worked for me, YMMV! -
It was so tiny that I thought someone dropped a piece of furniture upstairs.
-
Advantages of Pursuing the (Funded) MA
1Q84 replied to ToldAgain's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I'm working on my thesis right now... it's very time-consuming, yes. Not sure what you mean by "can't use it," though! You can totally polish it up and get it published! That's pretty darn valuable. In a way, though, I wish I could get practice for the comp exam since I'll definitely have to face that in the Ph.D. program. -
I am not so angry at agricultural uses of water (though they are quite high and could certainly be made less wasteful) because these farmers need to make ends meet too. It's not a great system, but it's what they have for now. It'd be great if the industry could get around to fixing that aspect of their operations. What's worse, in my opinion, is Nestle retaining its bottling rights to the reservoirs in California, for the entirety of the drought. It's so insulting to me that restaurants now won't give you a glass of water to "conserve," when Nestle is busy shipping California's water to Japan! Before you get a chance to vote, you can also act up and petition the government to revoke or renegotiate Nestle's bottling rights. The amount of people here in LA that buy bottles of water everyday is absolutely mindblowingly infuriating. I hate it! Anyway, some sources: http://www.businessinsider.com/nestle-is-bottling-water-from-california-2015-4 An absolutely bonkers article that details how the CEO of Nestle doesn't believe access to water is a human right (FWIW, he backpedaled on this and said, "Okay, well, a certain amount of water per person is a human right. After that amount, we should have rights to bottle and sell at whatever price we want): http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-privatisation-of-water-nestle-denies-that-water-is-a-fundamental-human-right/5332238
-
Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)
1Q84 replied to 1Q84's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
FWIW, a colleague of mine last year heard back from a wait list spot on April 18! It really shouldn't go much later than that... Really crossing my fingers for you and sending some good vibes! -
The Graduate School Ponzi Scheme
1Q84 replied to VirtualMessage's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Really good points. Reminds me of Paolo Virno's thoughts on affect in 'late' capitalism: Sianne Ngai's Ugly Feelings, which is one of my most favorite theory books in the past ten years, works off Virno's assumption and thinks about Bartleby as either a manifestation or focal point of all these "minor affects" (envy, irritation, anxiety, 'stuplimity', paranoia) that can be seen as disruptions in capital's use of people's affect as "lubrication." Very awesome book! -
comparative literature acceptance thread!
1Q84 replied to Appppplication's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I would absolutely go with Amherst. Some people look down on "following the money" but it's not about being greedy... it's about having enough money to not have to worry about taking on other work and thus being able to concentrate on your research! Is there a chance Alberta could make a counter offer? Worth a shot if you're still really attached to their department, otherwise I'd let them know. I don't think departments can feel particularly bad losing you to a fully funded program (as opposed to if you were choosing between two FF programs and you chose the one with the higher stipend). Tough choice! Good luck! -
I think I'm already feeling this. The first night after I accepted an offer, I couldn't sleep because I was terrified out of my mind. I just lay in bed thinking WHAT HAVE I DONE? Anyone else feeling completely and totally inadequate for no reason?
