Let's Distract Ourselves!

9 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

I love both; but they’re so different I just consider them completely different works of art/interpretations of a universe. 

I've heard this quite often, as well. I really enjoyed the movies (like pretty much everyone else); however, each time I discuss them with my family/friends, they invariably say, "Yes, they're awesome, BUT ... [insert cut plot point here]." 

As an aside, I find it kind of humorous that I've read more of Tolkien's ME scholarship than the fiction for which he's famous. But, when you take a Chaucer seminar, these things happen. 

On 1/17/2018 at 6:15 PM, FreakyFoucault said:

In addition to keeping up with The Good Place

My sister has been begging me to watch The Good Place since it came on. I started watching it yesterday and have since rolled through season 1 LOL Such a good show- and anyone else looking for a distraction should check it out! Season 1 is on Netflix!

2 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

My sister has been begging me to watch The Good Place since it came on. I started watching it yesterday and have since rolled through season 1 LOL Such a good show- and anyone else looking for a distraction should check it out! Season 1 is on Netflix!

Maya Rudolph just guest starred in the most recent episode. So you know it's good. 

21 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Now if only we can convince academia to be as fashionable as Chidi. I'd totally wear his pastel chinos. 

I love his glasses! So cute

43 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

my proposal was accepted for the english undergrad conference at my school and i'll be writing/presenting a paper about stefan zweig and frame narratives! i'm very excited. 

Congrats! It's paper proposal acceptance time! Which university is it? Happy times :) 

On the LOTR matter: I'm currently reading Game of Thrones because 2019 is so far away. I am finding that although it's not grand literature, I'm quite hooked. It's very close to the first season this first volume, but there's just a little more detail that helps me understand some conflicts better, like Jon being a bastard and Ned being upset when people say he cheated on his wife. Also Tyrion is a lot more developed I think. So I'm pretty happy I'm reading these after binging the shows n times, because I enjoy having the big picture and putting faces on names, and learned additional info instead of trying to transfer a lot of info on a very fast script. I want to read LOTR as well, one day!

thanks! i'm at university of florida. 

i've only ever seen the first season, but have friends hooked on both the show and books. i can imagine that it's nice to go through that world at your own pace. 

13 minutes ago, jpbends said:

Some slightly good news to distract me from all of the admissions anxiety: I was just notified by my English department that I was chosen as a winner of the 2017 Scholars' Book Fund Award, a $250 award presented to undergraduate students who propose a course to be taught by the department. I don't know if this means that my course proposal will actually be taught (because I doubt any of the professors at my university study exactly what I proposed), but it's nice to know that they appreciate the work!

heck yeah, congrats my guy

On 2/1/2018 at 11:42 PM, Yanaka said:

Congrats! It's paper proposal acceptance time! Which university is it? Happy times :) 

On the LOTR matter: I'm currently reading Game of Thrones because 2019 is so far away. I am finding that although it's not grand literature, I'm quite hooked. It's very close to the first season this first volume, but there's just a little more detail that helps me understand some conflicts better, like Jon being a bastard and Ned being upset when people say he cheated on his wife. Also Tyrion is a lot more developed I think. So I'm pretty happy I'm reading these after binging the shows n times, because I enjoy having the big picture and putting faces on names, and learned additional info instead of trying to transfer a lot of info on a very fast script. I want to read LOTR as well, one day!

I could never get into the Game of Thrones book! Props to you. 

41 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Ha! Why not?

I just don’t like the way they’re written. I love the TV show, and I read LOtR, so I feel like I should be able to do it but I read half the first book and.... didn’t feel it. Maybe I’ll give it another try!

42 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

I just don’t like the way they’re written. I love the TV show, and I read LOtR, so I feel like I should be able to do it but I read half the first book and.... didn’t feel it. Maybe I’ll give it another try!

Oh yeah. That’s what I was saying, the writing is pretty poor. But I’m hooked anyway!

7 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Oh yeah. That’s what I was saying, the writing is pretty poor. But I’m hooked anyway!

Yeah, whenever I say that to others, they're like "What are you TALKING about!" and I'm just like uhh... it's just not good. I got into an argument about it once because someone was like "but he's creating a UNIVERSE!" which I guess is true, but the writing doesn't have to be bad!

My roommate owns all the books, so maybe I'll give it another go.

50 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

Same. My husband loved them; it drives him crazy that I just stopped reading them about halfway through. 

I honestly think that the TV show moving away from the books was the best thing. The last two seasons have been stellar IMO. 

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

I’m reading them very slowly because I only read before sleeping, so I don’t know how far I’ll go. But I think they’re a good complement to the series—and so far I kind of enjoy what HBO changed... haha. His writing is also excessively macho, but well it’s relatively old