2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

3 hours ago, izab said:

Another lurker new to the site here! Saw that a few people got DePaul interviews- does anyone know if they contacted everyone who will be interviewed, or if there is still hope for next week? My nerves may not last all of February. 

I don't know if they are still sending invitations to interviews... but they sent me an email today telling me that I was in a very short waitlist. 

29 minutes ago, Arendtlover said:

I don't know if they are still sending invitations to interviews... but they sent me an email today telling me that I was in a very short waitlist. 

Arendtlover? Your name brings a small tear to my eye. My writing sample, as I mentioned above, was on """""" previously unseen!!! """"" connections between Hannah Arendt's political theory and Kant's critical philosophy. 

30 minutes ago, GuanilosIsland said:

Arendtlover? Your name brings a small tear to my eye. My writing sample, as I mentioned above, was on """""" previously unseen!!! """"" connections between Hannah Arendt's political theory and Kant's critical philosophy. 

That's very interesting! I am Arendt's fan. I love Heidegger too (despite his political ideas), I present my paper on him. 

2 hours ago, Arendtlover said:

Same here! It looks like a lot of people got off the waitlist last year- here's to hoping we do, too!

1 hour ago, Johnlegghistory said:

So far I have been accepted into NC State's MA in History (waitlisted on funding) and rejected at Clemson's MA in History program. I am waiting to hear from Virginia Tech and 5 Ph.D. programs at Michigan, UC-Davis, Wisconsin, Kentucky, and Montana State.

I believe you are in the wrong thread — this is for philosophy.

On 2.2.2018 at 1:15 AM, MarcelPr said:

Yeah anybody knew anything about the (alleged) UCLA offer?

This seems to be pretty suspicious as UCLA used to email offers in mid-Fed (at the very earliest), also, I got an email saying that there was a discrepancy in my application a couple of weeks ago and another one telling me I didn't need to do anything a few days ago. I was shocked by the inefficiency of this institution and I did not expect such early acceptances...

Also my TOEFL score has not been received. I sent it to them in early November.

But these are just my words, congrats to whoever is admitted though.

Are you sure your score has not be received? Did you ask them, or are you just relying on what their website says? Because their website is kind of unreliable. I have an email from their grad and undergrad advisor saying my scores have been received, but the website still says the opposite.

5 hours ago, BL16 said:

Are you sure your score has not be received? Did you ask them, or are you just relying on what their website says? Because their website is kind of unreliable. I have an email from their grad and undergrad advisor saying my scores have been received, but the website still says the opposite.

Oh I tried to contact the admission office twice because I forgot to remove the identifying information in my writing sample and received no reply... So I didn't bother to send them a third email about the TOEFL score. 

Thanks for the information!

On 2018/2/2 at 9:41 PM, Xia1 said:

They do a lot of staggering with releasing decisions, the timeframe is highly variable, it's apparently very hard to get in touch with the department and get a straight answer. Many students find themselves in "limbo", not hearing one way or another if they are accepted or rejected after many others report their own decisions; they sometimes release these decisions after April 15th and some are still yet accepted. So perhaps this means they have a "hidden" waitlist so to speak? In any case, I wouldn't worry about any schools until I got information directly from them informing me of my rejection.

Thanks a lot! It's also my impression that UCLA kind of sucks at admissions service. I tried twice to contact the admission office because I forgot to remove my names in the writing sample (btw is anonymous review really necessary though? I've barely seen any others schools that make such requests), but I received no reply. And I didn't receive my UCLA ID until three weeks after I had submitted my application. 

Also my POI there did not reply my email :) 

I have been lurking in this forum for a few weeks, but this is my first post. I got an acceptance letter from the University of Miami this morning. Accepted to Nebraska last week. Waitlisted at Minnesota. Still waiting to hear back from some other programs, but the wait is much more bearable now. Good luck to everyone!! 

11 minutes ago, SmellsLikeWorldSpirit said:

I have been lurking in this forum for a few weeks, but this is my first post. I got an acceptance letter from the University of Miami this morning. Accepted to Nebraska last week. Waitlisted at Minnesota. Still waiting to hear back from some other programs, but the wait is much more bearable now. Good luck to everyone!! 

Congratulations there! I didn't apply to any of these schools, but I have a friend who applied to Miami. Was the Miami acceptance an early fellowship notification or regular acceptance among others?

7 minutes ago, quinessloopypun said:

Congratulations there! I didn't apply to any of these schools, but I have a friend who applied to Miami. Was the Miami acceptance an early fellowship notification or regular acceptance among others?

Thanks! It was a regular acceptance. I didn't see any posts about Miami yet, so I figured I'd see if anyone else heard back. 

3 hours ago, SmellsLikeWorldSpirit said:

Congrats on the acceptance. I applied to Miami as well but looks like it wasn't in the cards this time around. I spoke to the Department Chair a few months back and he mentioned they would not be accepting very many people this year because they accepted a large number of applicants last year. 

I also applied to BC and did not get an acceptance letter. My portal just says "application submitted." I assume that means I'm either on the waitlist or on the rejection list. I guess we will know soon. Thing about BC: sometimes they will take 2 or 3 people from their MA program into their phd, and they only take 5 students. They are insanely difficult to get into. I am definitely anticipating a rejection. Hopefully somewhere else will work.

8 minutes ago, Jina said:

Has anyone heard back from UT El paso Psychology program?

This is a Philosophy acceptance/rejection thread, so you may not have anyone who is qualified to answer that particular question here. 

In in other news, I finally received my first rejection! From Berkeley. It comes as a bit of a relief, as I’d seen a number of folks here were accepted and waitlisted, and I was just waiting for that shoe to drop. Berkeley was definitely my biggest “reach” school, so I’m disappointed but not shocked. I saw there were a few others to post rejections from them today, so big love to anyone else who got that sad notification as well. 

I just got a call from Dr. Beckwith at Baylor inviting me to the prospective student weekend there. He said it was for the final ten applicants. I don't know if it's an acceptance or not really, but he made it sound like it was. Anyone know?

I just posted about this update in the results search, but I got my verbal and quantitative GRE scores reversed. Anyway, the message I included in that post remains true. I had a low undergrad GPA and middling MA gpa's, but I've made it pretty far at least at a school I'd be thrilled with. It's possible!

26 minutes ago, lyellgeo said:

Yes, I got the UChicago MAPH email as well. Kind of disappointing, as I made it through to the interview process (the structure of which was a little unorganized, and more stressful on me than a blanket rejection would have been), but it was still a helpful learning experience. 

If you don't mind me asking, could you go into a little more detail about the interview? I was under the impression when applying that interviews for Philosophy PhD's were somewhat uncommon, if not outright rare.

3 minutes ago, Vivec said:

If you don't mind me asking, could you go into a little more detail about the interview? I was under the impression when applying that interviews for Philosophy PhD's were somewhat uncommon, if not outright rare.

I haven't had an interview yet, but as of the past two years, Skype interviews are starting to become more and more common for Ph.D. programs.

Chicago hasn't sent me a rejection yet, so they may have not finished making their decisions yet.

As I understand it from the website, they don't have a waitlist, but also don't send out all of the offers at once. I wouldn't be surprised if they have accepted people in certain areas, while they are still deciding about others. 

Edited by iunoionnis