2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

29 minutes ago, quinessloopypun said:

This sounds interesting. I don't know to what extent you are interested in the connection between ethics and metaphysics in general (aside from Aristotelian scholarship, say), but there is some interesting material on this in the literature of grounding which seems pertinent to your project.

For instance, people like Selim Berker (2014, "The Unity of Grounding") believe that there is only one notion of ground, which interconnects ethics and metaphysics, as opposed to multiple fundamental notions for the metaphysical, natural and normative. Since grounding literature dates back in a sense to Aristotle, I thought you might take your paper to go beyond an interpretative paper and bear on a more general discussion. Seems worth taking a look at!

Will definitely take a look, thanks!

Waiting on PhD wise- Emory, Memphis, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Chicago, University of New Mexico, Oregon, and UC Riverside; Masters wise- Kent, Miami Ohio, and Eastern Michigan. Have not received any word from Chicago yet, neither about the alleged interview nor anything about the acceptance/rejection. 

Edited by Derrida
added MA programs

Mine was on skepticism.

I introduce a new view—skeptical fictionalism—and show how the external world skeptic can make sense of his skepticism on semantic grounds, that is, by becoming a fictionalist with regards to positive 'knowledge'-ascriptions like 'S knows p'.

Edited by finetune

On 1/30/2018 at 8:17 PM, kretschmar said:

Phone call from out-of-state number. Adrenaline spike. Multi-level marketer.

This might as well be the national past-time of February. Hang in there!

8 hours ago, philosobro said:

What were some of your guys writing sample on?

Political implications of Heidegger's attributes of Dasein. I.E. how the Authentic-Inauthentic axis gives way to a 'preferable' political position, and the sorts of challenges this produces.

I also included a second (auxiliary) sample in some applications from my political science work, talking about International Law and National Populism.

On 1/29/2018 at 1:39 PM, Schwarzwald said:

Alright you schmucks! It's been 2 days! Get accepted to places so I can feel hope!

"Even without the applications from 4 weeks ago, I still think man would be a creature that fears the email refresh"

48 minutes ago, Vivec said:

Political implications of Heidegger's attributes of Dasein. I.E. how the Authentic-Inauthentic axis gives way to a 'preferable' political position, and the sorts of challenges this produces.

I also included a second (auxiliary) sample in some applications from my political science work, talking about International Law and National Populism.

I've been reading a lot of Heidegger for fun lately and this sounds really interesting! He's a fascinating man.

12 hours ago, philosobro said:

Mine was the final chapter of my thesis, which was a Wittgensteinian phenomenology of emotion, laying out Naomi Scheman's discussion on on naming of emotions, responding to Sue Campbell's criticism of it as 'social constructivism', then adding some extra Cavell on the social contract to flesh it out more (which given he was Scheman's PhD supervisor hopefully makes some sense haha)

with a bit of transfeminist theory in there for fun!

19 hours ago, philosobro said:

My writing sample rejects Ronald Dworkin's idea of 'precedent autonomy,' arguing that it has the same problems Berlin found with positive liberty and should be rejected. He was using that concept to justify euthanasia though, including for patients with dementia, and I defend his being on the right track with that justification.

13 hours ago, Vivec said:

"Even without the applications from 4 weeks ago, I still think man would be a creature that fears the email refresh"

How I feel when I tell Berkeley that UCLA gave me a better offer...

giphy.gif

Edit: This was a (Big O) joke, congrats to whoever got into UCLA today!

Edited by Schwarzwald

2 hours ago, GuanilosIsland said:

Seeing other people getting emails by schools I applied to is literally killing me

For the first time this cycle someone has posted a acceptance from one of the programs I applied to and it's driving my crazy.

Yeah anybody knew anything about the (alleged) UCLA offer?

This seems to be pretty suspicious as UCLA used to email offers in mid-Fed (at the very earliest), also, I got an email saying that there was a discrepancy in my application a couple of weeks ago and another one telling me I didn't need to do anything a few days ago. I was shocked by the inefficiency of this institution and I did not expect such early acceptances...

Also my TOEFL score has not been received. I sent it to them in early November.

But these are just my words, congrats to whoever is admitted though.

I didn't apply there, but UCLA is notorious for having an entirely inscrutable admissions process, so I wouldn't rule anything out, nor would I take it as worrisome if it is genuine.

On the topic of genuine, it seems every year on GC there are debates about whether certain acceptances are authentic. Why is this the case? And if there are false reports (which it seems there have been previously), why do these people go to the trouble of posting these things just to cause some applicants anxiety? Or did I answer my own question...

9 minutes ago, Xia1 said:

I didn't apply there, but UCLA is notorious for having an entirely inscrutable admissions process, so I wouldn't rule anything out, nor would I take it as worrisome if it is genuine.

On the topic of genuine, it seems every year on GC there are debates about whether certain acceptances are authentic. Why is this the case? And if there are false reports (which it seems there have been previously), why do these people go to the trouble of posting these things just to cause some applicants anxiety? Or did I answer my own question...

Thanks!

How is UCLA's admissions process notoriously inscrutable? I would really like hear more (the post obviously succeeded in causing my anxiety)...

12 hours ago, MarcelPr said:

How is UCLA's admissions process notoriously inscrutable? I would really like hear more (the post obviously succeeded in causing my anxiety)...

They do a lot of staggering with releasing decisions, the timeframe is highly variable, it's apparently very hard to get in touch with the department and get a straight answer. Many students find themselves in "limbo", not hearing one way or another if they are accepted or rejected after many others report their own decisions; they sometimes release these decisions after April 15th and some are still yet accepted. So perhaps this means they have a "hidden" waitlist so to speak? In any case, I wouldn't worry about any schools until I got information directly from them informing me of my rejection.

Hi all, I'm just wondering whether anyone has any insight as to why Yale seems to have sent out a round of rejections before acceptances? Especially as the stats of those reporting do not seem to indicate that these rejections were on the basis of any kind of GRE/GPA cut-off. Just going crazy waiting for responses and would appreciate whatever information I can get in the meantime! (I applied to Yale expecting to not get in, but now I'm wondering whether not having a rejection yet when others have is a good sign that I'm at least being seriously considered?)

I also wonder whether anyone knows how US grad schools tend to regard UK transcripts. Do they convert it to a GPA based on each module mark, or overall mark?

Thanks, and good luck everyone!

Edited by philosophyswede

2 hours ago, philosophyswede said:

Hi all, I'm just wondering whether anyone has any insight as to why Yale seems to have sent out a round of rejections before acceptances? Especially as the stats of those reporting do not seem to indicate that these rejections were on the basis of any kind of GRE/GPA cut-off. Just going crazy waiting for responses and would appreciate whatever information I can get in the meantime! (I applied to Yale expecting to not get in, but now I'm wondering whether not having a rejection yet when others have is a good sign that I'm at least being seriously considered?)

The clearest information provided from a philosophy department regarding their admissions process comes from Chicago (http://philosophy.uchicago.edu/prospective/admissions.html) and I expect that Yale's process is similar. Based on that, I think we made the first round of cuts (whittling it down to a more manageable pile based on obvious flaws, not just GRE scores/GPA)! Fingers crossed for both of us!

13 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

The clearest information provided from a philosophy department regarding their admissions process comes from Chicago (http://philosophy.uchicago.edu/prospective/admissions.html) and I expect that Yale's process is similar. Based on that, I think we made the first round of cuts (whittling it down to a more manageable pile based on obvious flaws, not just GRE scores/GPA)! Fingers crossed for both of us!

I didn't apply to Chicago but I love their transparency regarding admissions!

I did apply to Yale though, and I hope it is true that we all made the first round of cuts! Yale is one of those schools I applied to because it's amazing...but with basically no hope that I'd get in.

46 minutes ago, soproperlybasic said:

I didn't apply to Chicago but I love their transparency regarding admissions!

I did apply to Yale though, and I hope it is true that we all made the first round of cuts! Yale is one of those schools I applied to because it's amazing...but with basically no hope that I'd get in.

Same. It would be fantastic to be offered admission to Yale, but I certainly don't expect it.

My writing sample was a paper expanding and clarifying a theory of delusions that implicates metacognition.

One acceptance so far; waiting on three others; one international program strongly encouraged me to apply, but as it might not involve tuition or stipend, it'll be my backup-to-my-backup.  I see at least one person has received an acceptance to another program to which I applied, so now I'm just playing the same waiting game as everyone else.