2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

1 hour ago, quinessloopypun said:

These kind of self-predictions are always a bit presumptuous, though there is a related example to this type of scenario (USC). JHU is already a good department and it will be better with the donation, no doubt, although I would not bet on its becoming top-5 in the next few years.

I also applied to JHU, but haven't stated any POI. All in all, my preemptive congratulations, since your POI's words seem like there is only official business to sort out for your admission.

True. But the amount of the donation is indeed very considerable, which would definitely attract some of the best young scholars, especially considering the shrinking job market. As PGR ranking relies heavily on the size and reputation of the faculty, we might indeed witness a significant leap in the ranking. Though you are definitely right that self-predictions tend to be over-optimistic.

The results would come out within two weeks, fingers crossed!

51 minutes ago, anonnn123 said:

I highly doubt that it's going to become a top 10 or top 5 program. If you compare the current PGR to the previous one, or the previous one to the one before that, programs rarely move more than 5 spots up or down the ranking within a decade. Given JHU's current rank, it'd be highly surprising for it to become a top 10 or top 5 program anytime soon.

Yep. If we are looking at the PGR ranking, which is based on people's perceptions of a particular program, significant changes would be very difficult and would happen very slowly. But a counterexample is Yale, which rose from initial 16 (2006) to 5 or 6 (2018) (I'm just writing off my memory but this is more or less the case). This happened through a series of employment of famous scholars, like David Charles (and Brad Inwood last year). So if JHU should use the money and hire some of the most promising scholars very soon, in 5 or 10 years it is possible that it would slowly climb to top 20 or 15. Top10 or 5 is a little bit of an overestimation, as top 5 programs have not even changed over the last 10 years..

15 minutes ago, MarcelPr said:

True. But the amount of the donation is indeed very considerable, which would definitely attract some of the best young scholars, especially considering the shrinking job market. As PGR ranking relies heavily on the size and reputation of the faculty, we might indeed witness a significant leap in the ranking. Though you are definitely right that self-predictions tend to be over-optimistic.

Wow, I cannot imagine you were educated in China (no offense, sorry)! Your English is not distinguishable from native English speakers. Amazing! Could you tell us whether you received a degree in the US? Your application this year must be very very strong.

Edited by Humever

4 minutes ago, Humever said:

Wow, I cannot imagine you were educated from China (no offense, sorry)! Your English is not distinguishable from native English speakers. Amazing! Could you tell us whether you received a degree in the US? Your application this year must be very very strong.

Haha no offense taken, and thanks! I received both my BA and MA in China. Actually it's not rare at all nowadays that young Chinese students speak and write good English since we typically start learning English very early (English used to be one of the three major subjects in China's College Entrance Exam), especially in big cosmopolitan cities like Beijing and Shanghai.

5 minutes ago, MarcelPr said:

Haha no offense taken, and thanks! I received both my BA and MA in China. Actually it's not rare at all nowadays that young Chinese students speak and write good English since we typically start learning English very early (English used to be one of the three major subjects in China's College Entrance Exam), especially in big cosmopolitan cities like Beijing and Shanghai.

Excellent! Thanks for sharing your background. I was curious because I only saw a very limited number of students educated in China who ended up getting into top American PhD programs in philosophy over the past few years. You should be very proud of yourself.  Congratulations!

29 minutes ago, MarcelPr said:

Yes. I agree that it would probably attract some of the best untenured assistant professors, which, in turn, would attract some of the best graduate students, which would, in turn, cause JHU to rise in the rankings. However, I doubt whether this would propel JHU to the top-5 position (I have in mind PGR rankings, which I take to be more reliable than QR, Higher Times etc.).

Also, as I said, USC is also an example to a radically upward-rising trend and I believe that JHU will show a similar rise, though I feel it will be at best to the top-20 rather than top-5.

Good luck to you!

Guest RoughAnatomy

I'm racked with anxiety - as, it seems, are we all - so perhaps contributing to the discussion will alleviate the frenetic e-mail checking tick I've developed.  

I was interviewed by Chicago, rejected for Ph.D, and referred to MAPH. I received an initial rejection email, plus a follow-up from the MAPH program manager. 

I'm interested to see my remaining A/Rs, given my atypical situation: I only minored in philosophy (4.0 GPA), have a BA and MA in Sociology, and am currently enrolled in a PhD Pediatrics department. Could cut against me, or work in my favor - really depends on the department and POI. 

Can we get a confirmation on the Vanderbilt acceptance? A few things seems odd: (1) it is the only Vandy decision claimed here or on FB, (2) it says they were just accepted for Spring 2018, which is the current semester, and (3)  Vandy’s website says nothing about spring admissions, only fall.

Edited by JeshZhavvorsa

3 hours ago, JeshZhavvorsa said:

Can we get a confirmation on the Vanderbilt acceptance? A few things seems odd: (1) it is the only Vandy decision claimed here or on FB, (2) it says they were just accepted for Spring 2018, which is the current semester, and (3)  Vandy’s website says nothing about spring admissions, only fall.

no idea but thx for pointing that out.  Only half as puckered now as I was before.

15 minutes ago, Goonasabi said:

I see a decision for WU - St. Louis. Anyone chime in to see if they have a decision? I haven't received an email yet. Was wondering where we could check our status.

I'm not the person who posted the rejection from WashU, but I do know that the programs that use applyweb post decision letters on your particular application portal (or whatever it's called).  And, WashU uses applyweb, so I would guess that rejection letters are posted there, and that is where you can check your status.

Edited by Cogitodoncrien

33 minutes ago, Goonasabi said:

I see a decision for WU - St. Louis. Anyone chime in to see if they have a decision? I haven't received an email yet. Was wondering where we could check our status.

I am wondering too. Damn, it is nerve-racking. 

When a decision is made on an application and the school in question using applyweb, there will be a new column that comes up in your application. The new column will be above the column that says checklist. If the school has not sent out your decision then you will not see this new column. Anyways, schools will get back to you in some fashion. I know it seems they wont but they will. Checking your application over and over is a waste of your time and mental energy. 

8 hours ago, RoughAnatomy said:

I'm racked with anxiety - as, it seems, are we all - so perhaps contributing to the discussion will alleviate the frenetic e-mail checking tick I've developed.  

I was interviewed by Chicago, rejected for Ph.D, and referred to MAPH. I received an initial rejection email, plus a follow-up from the MAPH program manager. 

I'm interested to see my remaining A/Rs, given my atypical situation: I only minored in philosophy (4.0 GPA), have a BA and MA in Sociology, and am currently enrolled in a PhD Pediatrics department. Could cut against me, or work in my favor - really depends on the department and POI. 

Wow, an interview from Chicago is already an accomplishment. Wish all of us best of luck!

Edited by Humever

13 hours ago, Fregeskind said:

I am wondering too. Damn, it is nerve-racking. 

Same here.  It's my top choice.

It is just the slightest bit early for them to be giving notices, though.  Typically they'd do it next week.  Might just be first round of "clear cuts."

Guest RoughAnatomy
10 hours ago, Humever said:

Wow, an interview from Chicago is already an accomplishment. Wish all of us best of luck!

Thanks, though interviews unfortunately don't have fellowships attached to them. 

I'm still waiting to hear from my top two choices, Georgetown (Blattner) and Columbia (Carman).