2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

21 hours ago, libraryghost said:

Hey you guys, long time lurker first time poster, I just wanted to put down my first acceptance at SUNY Binghamton SPEL program. My AOI is political philosophy and I'm really excited to be a part of a program so focused on my interests. For those looking to compare stats by GRE was abysmal V:166; Q:148; W3.0 with a 3.94 GPA. Anyways I'm just really excited and good luck to all the rest of you :D

Congratulations! Always nice to get that first one in the bank! :) 

It's starting to feel very real given that it's probably a week and a bit till some of the places I applied start sending information out. It seems from the results database that places that get in touch early tend to do so mostly every year, and same for those that are later, etc.

Edited by tmck3053

11 hours ago, mynameismyname said:

Yeah, I don't know how typical that is. But I noticed several have been rejected from Yale before any acceptances. And it seems that Minnesota has wait listed a bunch of people before sending out acceptances. 

Yup. And I noticed a CUA rejection but no word on acceptances/waitlists. 

11 hours ago, mynameismyname said:

Yeah, I don't know how typical that is. But I noticed several have been rejected from Yale before any acceptances. And it seems that Minnesota has wait listed a bunch of people before sending out acceptances. 

I'm glad not to be part of the first cuts at Yale. I know it's a long shot, but they're one of my top choices. I'd love to work with Shelly Kagan.

I've been lurking here for a couple weeks. My GRE scores are good but not great: 168V, 161Q, 4.0AW (I'm told the AW doesn't matter much for philosophy admissions). My undergrad GPA is 3.79 at an unranked R1 institution, with a 3.95 just in philosophy. My main AOIs are ethics and philosophy of science, with persistent minor interests in psychology, logic, and Neitzsche. My recommenders have told me they think I have a pretty good chance, but I'm still incredibly nervous. I applied to ~ 30 PhD programs and 6 MA programs. I regret applying to so many, but I wanted to maximize my chances, and they are all programs I would be happy to get into.

Congrats to everyone who has already been accepted. It would be interesting to hear from the person who got into Northwestern.

4 hours ago, PhiloStorian said:

I'm glad not to be part of the first cuts at Yale. I know it's a long shot, but they're one of my top choices. I'd love to work with Shelly Kagan.

I've been lurking here for a couple weeks. My GRE scores are good but not great: 168V, 161Q, 4.0AW (I'm told the AW doesn't matter much for philosophy admissions). My undergrad GPA is 3.79 at an unranked R1 institution, with a 3.95 just in philosophy. My main AOIs are ethics and philosophy of science, with persistent minor interests in psychology, logic, and Neitzsche. My recommenders have told me they think I have a pretty good chance, but I'm still incredibly nervous. I applied to ~ 30 PhD programs and 6 MA programs. I regret applying to so many, but I wanted to maximize my chances, and they are all programs I would be happy to get into.

Congrats to everyone who has already been accepted. It would be interesting to hear from the person who got into Northwestern.

Welcome, and admirable work applying to such a monstrous number of programs! 

I, too, am emotionally attached to my long-shot choice, God help me. I keep telling myself I should forget I've applied there at all. No luck with that strategy.

18 minutes ago, kretschmar said:

Welcome, and admirable work applying to such a monstrous number of programs! 

I, too, am emotionally attached to my long-shot choice, God help me. I keep telling myself I should forget I've applied there at all. No luck with that strategy.

Thanks, it ran me a bit ragged. Pessimism and detachment are probably the best strategy but I'm finding that nearly impossible to maintain.

2 hours ago, be. said:

I received an acceptance from Ohio State today. The results page isn’t working on my computer, so I figured I would post it here.

Ah, very cool! Congrats.

I applied to OSU as well. Is that a bad sign I didn't get an acceptance today?

26 minutes ago, be. said:

Thanks!

As for your question, it's hard to say. I didn't see any other acceptances go up on the results page, so perhaps they're not sending them all out at the same time.

OK, cool. My status is not updated yet on my application page. Were you the one who just posted the acceptance on grad cafe? 

How high was OSU for you? Congrats again!

22 minutes ago, Goonasabi said:

OK, cool. My status is not updated yet on my application page. Were you the one who just posted the acceptance on grad cafe? 

How high was OSU for you? Congrats again!

That was not me, so I guess they've sent out at least a couple acceptances.

OSU isn't one of the higher ranked programs to which I applied, but it's nonetheless one of my top choices. I want to do early modern, and working under Lisa Downing would be incredible. 

Edited by be.

2 minutes ago, be. said:

That was not me, so I guess they've sent out at least a couple acceptances.

OSU isn't one of the higher ranked programs to which I applied, but it's nonetheless one of my top choices. I want to do early modern, and working under Lisa Downing would be incredible. 

Ah very cool. Yeah, I'm Early Modern as well. Would be cool to go there.

I’m new here, I’ve applied to seven programmes and am currently awaiting decisions. Just wanted to say a quick hello, congrats to those of you who have received positive results...and for the rest of you, don’t lose heart! We’re all in this together!

Be Well,

M

I'm new here as well and am waiting on just two programs to respond (I had applied to three, but my letter writer forgot to send in his letter, even after four reminders!); I saw that Penn State sent out acceptances and now I'm on the edge of my seat, lol. I don't think I got in if they've sent them out already! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted somewhere! For those of us still gnawing at our fingernails, keep your heads up :) And, when in doubt, try again ^^ 

2 hours ago, Marritz21 said:

I'm new here as well and am waiting on just two programs to respond (I had applied to three, but my letter writer forgot to send in his letter, even after four reminders!); I saw that Penn State sent out acceptances and now I'm on the edge of my seat, lol. I don't think I got in if they've sent them out already! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted somewhere! For those of us still gnawing at our fingernails, keep your heads up :) And, when in doubt, try again ^^ 

I don't think (or at least am hoping for my own sake) that Penn State has sent out philosophy acceptances yet. Usually they do interviews first, anyway. Your note indicates Political Science, so you may be in the wrong forum. 

2 hours ago, Marritz21 said:

Your third letter writer forgetting to send in his letter does not necessarily mean that your application will not be considered. Though of course it's less than ideal.

56 minutes ago, soproperlybasic said:

Surprised by the really early Yale rejections, since their deadline was in early Jan! 

I can't wait to start hearing back...I have a serious case of senioritis at this point and just want to know where and if I'll be headed to grad school in philosophy.

I was surprised not just by the early timing of the rejections, but also by the stats of those rejected. I would have expected those rejected this early on to have poor stats, which would indicate that Yale is using a GPA/GRE cutoff. 

26 minutes ago, be. said:

I was surprised not just by the early timing of the rejections, but also by the stats of those rejected. I would have expected those rejected this early on to have poor stats, which would indicate that Yale is using a GPA/GRE cutoff. 

Yeah I applied to Yale, if they were doing a GRE cutoff, I definitely would not have made it with my 158/151, but I haven't heard anything...