2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

20 minutes ago, ButWhy said:

At this point I am just craving rejections.  I hate being in the dark.

How I feel. You all have been greedily posting about programs I didn't even apply to. Don't you know I want news that concerns me, too? Some applicants are so inconsiderate. Somebody hurry up and get into Harvard or Yale so my stress has meaning.

6 minutes ago, iunoionnis said:

Also rejected from Emory. Would have been a perfect fit, so rather disappointed.

But I do have one offer on the table, which is a great fit location-wise and a decent fit for my interests. So I am at least glad that I know now. 

Sorry to hear that. We all have schools in mind that are perfect and we can't stop wondering when we'll hear back from them, and I'm sorry you didn't get into yours. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few like that I have in mind.

31 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

Sorry to hear that. We all have schools in mind that are perfect and we can't stop wondering when we'll hear back from them, and I'm sorry you didn't get into yours. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few like that I have in mind.

You were accepted at UW-Milwaukee? They sent out acceptances?? 

47 minutes ago, prettyhorse said:

Ohh right right. Congratulations! Is it one of your top choices? 

For an MA yes! Honestly I'm probably better off getting an MA before moving on to the PhD, and Milwaukee is a great choice for that, but I also applied to PhD programs. Are they up there for you too?

Another Emory reject. They can bugger off too, would have been a poor fit also. I gather they moved away from traditional in depth and historical Continental studies and are focusing much more on Biopolitical, Feminist, and  Social Justice issue, which is fine by me, but by no means my area of interest. The only thing I am upset about is the $75 fee. 

45 minutes ago, shadowyBeing said:

Anyone have a clue when British Columbia will waitlist, or if they've already done so? I'm anxious as I haven't been on the receiving end of their rejections nor their acceptances. 

It is acceptable to email the department assistant. But when I applied to MAs in Canada, I was on more than one waitlist and wasn't told about it. So some departments don't notify students of waitlists. 

Generic slap-down from Emory.  Eh, bad fit.. not sure why I tried that.

Waitlisted at Baylor... complicating my assumption that everyone hates my app. Decision expected by end of March.

Still 9 or 10 depts I'm pretty excited to hear from, potential 'yes' reactions varying from Obama NOT BAD to cartwheels.

17 hours ago, kretschmar said:

Update: accepted at UC Santa Cruz's PhD program. (This is the school that bumped me from the MA pool to the PhD)

Woot!  Way to go, kretschmar! That's awesome.  Here's to even more options opening up for you.

2 hours ago, Derrida said:

Another Emory reject. They can bugger off too, would have been a poor fit also. I gather they moved away from traditional in depth and historical Continental studies and are focusing much more on Biopolitical, Feminist, and  Social Justice issue, which is fine by me, but by no means my area of interest. The only thing I am upset about is the $75 fee. 

4 hours ago, PhiloStorian said:

Rejection email from Emory. It wouldn't have been a great fit so I'm not too disappointed.

Derrida: Same.  It was a huge stretch for me too.  Glad they found their matches and taught me something also.  FWIW I have had schools refund the app fee after I showed them my FAFSA report.  I hope you find a solid match.

PhiloStorian:  Emory was a fallback and I'm not upset about it either.  Congrats on your acceptance to UW and I hope your options open up even more. 

3 hours ago, SirPyros said:

Finally got my first response from a Ph.D. application! It was a rejection from Baylor. Happy Valentine's Day to me, Ha!

Yea, it sucks to get rejected from somewhere you actually hope to get in at.  I'm sorry to hear that.  I don't know if this is your first app season but I saw someone here getting accepted to good schools and this is their third time around.  That gave me hope and inspiration to learn from this even in the worst case.  Wanna buy them a beer whoever they are.  Best of wishes to you! 

4 hours ago, iunoionnis said:

Also rejected from Emory. Would have been a perfect fit, so rather disappointed.

But I do have one offer on the table, which is a great fit location-wise and a decent fit for my interests. So I am at least glad that I know now. 

I'm sorry to hear that.  I felt the same when I got my Chicago rejection.  It still hurts.  I'm glad you have a good match open to you, so congratulations on that and may further results be in your favor.

Edited by LORDBACON