Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

8 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

I called on 2/23. It was still we will hear back the first weeks of March. She stated that no acceptances or rejections have been sent out. This would kind of line up with the person who said if others have heard back then they aren't from my program BUT then how come someone else was waitlisted then under my program? But we don't know if they break it down further by what specialization you do in your track which wouldn't make too much sense. I'm considering calling again, but I don't know if they track how often you call and shit and I would hate to be annoying even though at this point we should know if others are getting information.

Huh... no acceptances or rejections for the online clinical program specifically? I think @frolikewhoa was waitlisted just this week, so if you called on 2/23 the admissions rep was probably being truthful with you then. And I know what you mean, I'm afraid to call as well. Maybe just avoid saying your name when you do? But they'd still have your number... call from a burner phone?! Lol, I'm joking, but this is starting to feel like a real mystery to me at this point.

Edit: we are definitely overthinking it - see my above comment about the burner phone, lol.

Edited by doctormelody

28 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Okay, I just re-read this entire thread because I have no life and I think @2733amh is the only clinical person that has heard back yet. I also think you're the only online clinical applicant on this thread, unless someone wants to correct me. So I wouldn't worry too much.

I forgot to mention earlier but I  applied for the Clinical Track for Family, Youth, and Children's Services. I have not read that anyone else on this forum is doing that particular field of practice so perhaps it's not so unusual that I heard back but other tracks haven't yet. 

4 minutes ago, goldenbear said:

I forgot to mention earlier but I  applied for the Clinical Track for Family, Youth, and Children's Services. I have not read that anyone else on this forum is doing that particular field of practice so perhaps it's not so unusual that I heard back but other tracks haven't yet. 

Gotcha, thanks for the info! And congratulations!

5 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

Can someone take one for the team and call and ask? I would but I feel like I would come off as pushy and I need to know what's going on?

I would do it,  but I'm not a priority applicant... I guess it might not matter though? Maybe I'll call from my house phone... :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, patientlywaiting2 said:

I just called. They said I'll hear back before March 23rd. I don't really have faith that they'll even give me an answer by that date bc they've been changing the date on me since February when I spoke to the head of admissions. Hope this helps. 

I have to know by the 15th. NYU told me I can't get anymore extensions?

4 minutes ago, patientlywaiting2 said:

I just called. They said I'll hear back before March 23rd. I don't really have faith that they'll even give me an answer by that date bc they've been changing the date on me since February when I spoke to the head of admissions. Hope this helps. 

Thanks for getting back to us! I assume you were a priority applicant? For what concentration? And was it online or residential?

6 minutes ago, patientlywaiting2 said:

Clinical or social enterprise, which specialty in your track, are you priority, what date did you apply, online or residential, etc.

This way we can kind of know where things are for certain people.

Edited by lanabeni

6 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

You should call Columbia and tell them that. I mean, you applied over 3 months ago. I'm sure they would understand your need to know especially if you explain the situation with NYU.

Edited by doctormelody

4 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

You could call and state that. They are aware that other schools have deadlines too and I wouldn't be surprised they know that NYU has a deadline of 3/15.

10 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

You should call Columbia and tell them that. I mean, you applied over 3 months ago. I'm sure they would understand your need to know especially if you explain the situation with NYU.

10 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

You could call and state that. They are aware that other schools have deadlines too and I wouldn't be surprised they know that NYU has a deadline of 3/15.

I just sent them an email and let them know of the deadline. I was actually supposed to let NYU know in January but asked for two extensions because I've been waiting on Columbia. I can understand why NYU is starting to get frustrated with me, it's sort of ridiculous. Especially if I ended up doing all this waiting for a denial.

4 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

I just sent them an email and let them know of the deadline. I was actually supposed to let NYU know in January but asked for two extensions because I've been waiting on Columbia. I can understand why NYU is starting to get frustrated with me, it's sort of ridiculous. Especially if I ended up doing all this waiting for a denial.

Oh man, I'm sorry, that sucks so much. It's not your fault that you've had to ask for extensions though! I am really pulling for you (and everyone else on this thread).

4 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Oh man, I'm sorry, that sucks so much. It's not your fault that you've had to ask for extensions though! I am really pulling for you (and everyone else on this thread).

I'm pulling for everyone too. We deserve to get in after all this torture lol

I applied on December 1st for the priority deadline. I will be a 2 year resident on the advanced clinical track. I would recommend calling because the woman on the phone actually was willing to look me up and see where my application was in line. But the fact that they have been so disorganized has kinda made my decision to go to NYU. I'll still wait to hear but wish y'all the best of luck with your decisions. 

8 minutes ago, patientlywaiting2 said:

I applied on December 1st for the priority deadline. I will be a 2 year resident on the advanced clinical track. I would recommend calling because the woman on the phone actually was willing to look me up and see where my application was in line. But the fact that they have been so disorganized has kinda made my decision to go to NYU. I'll still wait to hear but wish y'all the best of luck with your decisions. 

What is the advanced clinical for 2 year? I thought advanced standing meant 1 year program. I applied 11/30 for advanced standing 1 year clinical. Still haven’t heard.... making me go crazy!!! 

11 minutes ago, abswk said:

What is the advanced clinical for 2 year? I thought advanced standing meant 1 year program. I applied 11/30 for advanced standing 1 year clinical. Still haven’t heard.... making me go crazy!!! 

Advanced clinical social work practice is just the name of the clinical track. Advanced standing is the 1 year program. Confused me too at first.

7 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

Advanced clinical social work practice is just the name of the clinical track. Advanced standing is the 1 year program. Confused me too at first.

thank you for the clarification!

I had to take a break from all this for the weekend lol. I see that we are still on the same page and some have been accepted or waitlisted (which means they are getting somewhere, congrats!). I’m still waiting to hear back. I applied to UC Berkeley the same day as Columbia and I got notified today that I’ve been waitlisted for UCB ha. Columbia is my first choice but for me to apply to 10 schools and already heard back from 8, Columbia is making me uneasy. I have no new info for everyone, I just wanted to vent lol. I’m still wishing us the best!!! I’m leaning toward NYU at this point. If anyone else is going to a school in NY, id love to connect! 

ALSO! Am I the only advanced generalist applicant?!? I’m also advanced standing.

Edited by Kat_MSW2018

This process is reflective of some of the main criticisms I've heard about Columbia. That the SSW is very disorganized, that the classes are huge and you're just a number, and a lot of people don't end up where they want to be in practicum. If you're frustrated now, imagine how frustrated you'll feel when you get placed somewhere random for practicum because the school is so disorganized. One of my current professors has a colleague who teaches at Columbia SSW and she says the emphasis for professors isn't on teaching - it's on research output because they're under a lot of pressure from the big name institution. I consider all this a very accurate and representative microcosm of how Columbia is and will be once you're actually there. I don't regret my decision to commit to UChicago. I'm still here because I want to see how this all plays out - to this point, it's just what I expected from Columbia.

Edit: @Kat_MSW2018 that's really saying something - UC Berkeley, a huge public well-ranked institution in the most populous state, getting back to you before Columbia. Just lol

Edited by stheart

12 minutes ago, stheart said:

This process is reflective of some of the main criticisms I've heard about Columbia. That the SSW is very disorganized, that the classes are huge and you're just a number, and a lot of people don't end up where they want to be in practicum. If you're frustrated now, imagine how frustrated you'll feel when you get placed somewhere random for practicum because the school is so disorganized. One of my current professors has a colleague who teaches at Columbia SSW and she says the emphasis for professors isn't on teaching - it's on research output because they're under a lot of pressure from the big name institution. I consider all this a very accurate and representative microcosm of how Columbia is and will be once you're actually there. I don't regret my decision to commit to UChicago. I'm still here because I want to see how this all plays out - to this point, it's just what I expected from Columbia.

Edit: @Kat_MSW2018 that's really saying something - UC Berkeley, a huge public well-ranked institution in the most populous state, getting back to you before Columbia. Just lol

Well I can't speak for anyone else but this doesn't deter my decision. If I get accepted, I'll be attending. I'm frustrated that it's taking this long, but at the end of the day the program's emphasis is exactly what I want, it's in the city I want to be in, and it will place me in front of the kinds of connections I want to make. I'm used to dealing with disorganization, but as long I get a placement (don't really care where) and my professors respond to emails in a timely manner then I'm fine. I never was one for a need for constant one on one attention.

Completely agree @Sunset95   Columbia has so much opportunity to offer that other schools lack. I also see this as a weeding out process so to speak.... those who are die hard columbia applicants vs. those who are content with other programs (will be good for those who are waitlisted!) It's the national HUB of social work, in the greatest city in the world. You can't beat that in my opinion, can't imagine choosing another school over CSSW. We will all come out as MSW's and at the end of the day, we will all be successful regardless of what school we attend. It just has been a personal goal of mine to obtain my MSW from Columbia forever, so I'm definitely biased lol The fact that we are even on this forum discussing these schools....we should all be VERY proud of ourselves. A lot of hard work to get here!! 

ALSO! You can coordinate your own internship to ensure you are placed at an agency where you are most interested. 

Edited by abswk

41 minutes ago, abswk said:

Completely agree @Sunset95   Columbia has so much opportunity to offer that other schools lack. I also see this as a weeding out process so to speak.... those who are die hard columbia applicants vs. those who are content with other programs (will be good for those who are waitlisted!) It's the national HUB of social work, in the greatest city in the world. You can't beat that in my opinion, can't imagine choosing another school over CSSW. We will all come out as MSW's and at the end of the day, we will all be successful regardless of what school we attend. It just has been a personal goal of mine to obtain my MSW from Columbia forever, so I'm definitely biased lol The fact that we are even on this forum discussing these schools....we should all be VERY proud of ourselves. A lot of hard work to get here!! 

ALSO! You can coordinate your own internship to ensure you are placed at an agency where you are most interested. 

I agree! I just think the pros outweigh the cons that I've heard. It lines up with everything I'm looking for so even though I hate this wait, I'm still hoping hard for an acceptance!