Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

I'm gunna go with they definitely haven't sent out all the acceptances- March isn't even close to being over yet! I have a 3.78 GPA and am finishing up my undergrad at Michigan State. When I met with the advisor of Columbia in December he said I shouldn't worry (even though I totally am) so I am trying to stay positive. I got accepted to the University of Michigan and had to request an extension yesterday. 

Edited by OliviaRose

6 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

@TooExcited&Nervous would you still consider Columbia if you get in, or have you settled on another school?

I just finished visiting Pittsburgh, but I think I am going to attend NYU. After talking to my friend who currently attends Columbia, I no longer want to attend.

4 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

I just finished visiting Pittsburgh, but I think I am going to attend NYU. After talking to my friend who currently attends Columbia, I no longer want to attend.

Oh that's interesting, what did they say?

@Sunset95, I think this thread is definitely going to deter future applicants, lol.

5 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

@Sunset95, I think this thread is definitely going to deter future applicants, lol.

I can't remember if I posted it in this one or another Columbia thread but she said the support isn't really there vs NYU students have more support and opportunities for their students. She also said Columbia sold her on diversity but in all actuality, the diversity is truly lacking, especially as a minority. She said NYU has more of the diversity and inclusion aspect vs Columbia. But, she said the work is easy at Columbia and you are really just paying for the Ivy League name. She personally told me not to attend Columbia because it isn't really worth it to her. 

4 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

I can't remember if I posted it in this one or another Columbia thread but she said the support isn't really there vs NYU students have more support and opportunities for their students. She also said Columbia sold her on diversity but in all actuality, the diversity is truly lacking, especially as a minority. She said NYU has more of the diversity and inclusion aspect vs Columbia. But, she said the work is easy at Columbia and you are really just paying for the Ivy League name. She personally told me not to attend Columbia because it isn't really worth it to her. 

•  

Oh crap, yeah, I think you did post that here, my bad. It's so hard to keep track of everything. That does make it sound really unappealing though. 

4 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Oh crap, yeah, I think you did post that here, my bad. It's so hard to keep track of everything. That does make it sound really unappealing though. 

Yeah, as a minority being at a diverse school is important to me and to have supportive programs and representation is important as well. 

8 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Yeah, as a minority being at a diverse school is important to me and to have supportive programs and representation is important as well. 

Makes sense! The Center for Multicultural Education and Programs at NYU is awesome, I went to a lot of their events while I was there as an undergrad and they were fantastic without exception. 

Edited by doctormelody

45 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

That's what I was saying haha! If they didn't have both elements that I'm looking for then I wouldn't bother (big policy focus and in NYC). Plus I've been wanting to go to Columbia since I was 12 so even with these shenanigans I would still go. But I can see how people who don't have those 3 elements at play wouldn't even bother after seeing this?

5 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

That's what I was saying haha! If they didn't have both elements that I'm looking for then I wouldn't bother (big policy focus and in NYC). Plus I've been wanting to go to Columbia since I was 12 so even with these shenanigans I would still go. But I can see how people who don't have those 3 elements at play wouldn't even bother after seeing this?

I feel you, I think the only reason I’m still here is because Columbia was my dream school when I was like 17, haha. I still love the campus, it’s beautiful. Idk. Maybe talking to my friend who goes to Columbia tomorrow will give me a more favorable impression. ?

My friend is at Columbia right now in the clinical track as an advanced standing student. She mentioned she felt the classes weren't as impactful for her coming in as BSW. She said the classes felt a lot more like refreshing her memory than really teaching her new things. But she did mention that she loved her policy electives and felt she was growing a lot in those classes. I was juggling between the two tracks at the time and that really confirmed for me that the macro track is what I should do. 

9 hours ago, goldenbear said:

I got this email as well and they responded with the exact same thing. Another friend of mine received his financial aid package yesterday and called me today, livid. He said he only received $5000 with no work-study. As out of state students, this package makes it difficult for us to consider moving to New York and attending Columbia. 

Side note, I was able to visit Columbia this past Sunday and Monday and speak to the folks in admissions. I have also been speaking to student ambassadors through the Admitted Students page. I'm happy to answer any questions that folks might have about my general impressions of the student body as well as the school in general. 

Woah, $5000? I'm definitely hoping for more than that. I was offered $17,000 from NYU so if I receive a low offer I will definitely use that as some leverage to appeal for more funding. I think NYU's scholarships are based off of merit and I'm not sure if Columbia is based off merit or need? I hope to know more soon!

1 hour ago, OliviaRose said:

I'm gunna go with they definitely haven't sent out all the acceptances- March isn't even close to being over yet! I have a 3.78 GPA and am finishing up my undergrad at Michigan State. When I met with the advisor of Columbia in December he said I shouldn't worry (even though I totally am) so I am trying to stay positive. I got accepted to the University of Michigan and had to request an extension yesterday. 

Het Olivia when did you apply? I have a high GPA like you, but I applied late in the game. I'm thinking it put me at a disadvantage but I have a 3.98 GPA and a 4.0 in my associates. I also have a lot of volunteer work and leadership roles. I am so mad I waited so long to apply, but if you havent heard back either I feel some hope!

36 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

I feel you, I think the only reason I’m still here is because Columbia was my dream school when I was like 17, haha. I still love the campus, it’s beautiful. Idk. Maybe talking to my friend who goes to Columbia tomorrow will give me a more favorable impression. ?

Let us know what your friend says!

1 hour ago, MSW2018?? said:

Het Olivia when did you apply? I have a high GPA like you, but I applied late in the game. I'm thinking it put me at a disadvantage but I have a 3.98 GPA and a 4.0 in my associates. I also have a lot of volunteer work and leadership roles. I am so mad I waited so long to apply, but if you havent heard back either I feel some hope!

I applied 12/15. Columbia must have a pretty intricate system of how they are getting back to students. They probably clump each application based on concentration, method, and length of program. If you really think about it, that is a lot of combinations to sort through and decide candidacy based on all applicant's qualifications in comparison to each others per group combo...does that make any sense? haha but yeah, thats what I am thinking. I am also thinking I'm the last one who hasn't heard back still that applied in December. I applied advanced standing, SEA, school-linked school-based services. 

Edited by Olivia95

18 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

Yeah. Part of it is that extra $9000 they charge you for the four week summer session. RIP. 

Also, did you find out about your acceptance yet? I know you decided to attend Chicago - just curious! 

Nope! I didn't find out yet. I kind of jumped the gun by committing before waiting to hear back from all schools, but Columbia just doesn't make sense to attend for me!

I think your right. You will get it! Don't worry! I applied to the online program 2 year clinical track. We'll see! I got into university at buffalo this week which is sweet. They have an awesome program and they are in the top 10%of msw programs in the nation(#23).. just A LOT CHEAPER!  Haha i applied to columbia basically to see if they offered any descent financial aid package/scholarships. But in the end, if your in the field you already know its a lot of money vs the salary

3 hours ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

•  

That's among what I heard from someone I know who graduated from Columbia Social Work. She was an international student and she said people were clique-y. The exact words from her email:

"Although everyone was doing social work, many people have sub-conscious presumptions that are clearly shown in the way they talk and interact with others. This was something that bothered me, however, I was able to find classmates and friends that were not judgmental."

Edited by stheart

6 minutes ago, stheart said:

That's among what I heard from someone I know who graduated from Columbia Social Work. She was an international student and she said people were clique-y. The exact words from her email:

"Although everyone was doing social work, many people have sub-conscious presumptions that are clearly shown in the way they talk and interact with others. This was something that bothered me, however, I was able to find classmates and friends that were not judgmental."

Yes, my friend who is African-American said she often got questioned if she truly attended Columbia and would receive a lot of unwanted attention because of her skin color. So I would not doubt what your friend said at all. But you know, Columbia is for some people and not for others. 

Edited by TooExcited&Nervous

I'm going to paste my connection's entire email because I think it's pretty insightful!

------------------

To answer your questions:

1) Keep in mind that your area of interest and track of study impact your experience, choice of courses and practicum a lot. 

2) I can only share with you my experiences, so what I share may not be the common experience people experience. It was not easy to get my first choice practicum site, but that may be because my student status (visa as a international student), track (its harder for international students to do clinical because of security and safety reasons....), and focus (my issue of interest was human trafficking). I applied for CSSW Advanced Standing, which was a 10-month program (summer + 1 year). The program gives priority to 2-year students for their second year. I think whether you get your first choice depends on your track and focus. If you study at their 2 year program, it's very likely you'll get your first option your second year. If you're applying for advanced standing, you'll have to see if someone already filled the spot or if you can talk to a counselor to advocate for you to get the practicum or similar practicum that you want.  

I'm sure there are many options available for you to pick and choose from, especially since its NYC.

2)  There was a time I regretted my decision and that was when I was put into a practicum placement I did not sign up for and when I asked to leave I was not feeling supported. However, I was able to change to an organization I wanted given the limitations and time constraints given to me, after I advocated for myself. I did end up with the practicum experience I wanted and did learn a lot from the process. Take note though that my case wasnt the typical. 

3) My favorite thing about CSSW was the ability to see NYC from a social working lens. NYC is the 'city of dreams' for many people worldwide, so if you are interested in migration-related issues, I highly recommend CSSW. Observing people on a day to day basis and applying my knowledge inside and outside the classroom to the work at my practicum, I think I was really able to humanize and understand the issues my clients at the mental health clinic experienced and this impacted the way I provided psychotherapy and counselling for them. 

4) People were clicky. Although everyone was doing social work, many people have sub-conscious presumptions that are clearly shown in the way they talk and interact with others. This was something that bothered me, however, I was able to find classmates and friends that were not judgmental. Majority of the students were also very experienced and older (mid-30+). 

Overall, I think my experience at CSSW was so so, but I truly value and loved my experience in being in NYC. I felt everything I learned in the classroom was applicable to things I saw on a daily basis outside work, given the diversity and vibrancy of NYC daily life. 

As advice, I think you should base your school choice of where you want to be after grad school. If you want to live and work in a big city, pick a school that is located in a big city. If you want to live and work in the sub-urbs then pick a school that is located in a suburb area. The nature of the location impact the scope of the people and issues you work with. 

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

4 hours ago, Sunset95 said:

Do you mind if I ask when you applied? We've been trying to figure out their decision process and if they gave out all acceptances for now. And congrats on NYU!

I applied on December 1st! I hope you get to hear back soon and thank you! 

Edited by lulu2018

So I applied to Fordham two weeks after Columbia and already heard back ? Glad to know I’m off to school somewhere next year! Hopefully Columbia will start sending out more notices soon!

Edited by Chebrutta

6 minutes ago, Chebrutta said:

So I applied to Fordham two weeks after Columbia and already heard back ? Glad to know I’m off to school somewhere next year! Hopefully Columbia will start sending out more notices soon!

I hope so too! I technically have to respond to Tulane by April 1st so if I don't hear anything by the end of next week I might call them again.

7 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

I hope so too! I technically have to respond to Tulane by April 1st so if I don't hear anything by the end of next week I might call them again.

I have until April 13th to let Fordham know... I suppose I can ask for an extension... but dang, the relief!