Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

48 minutes ago, abswk said:

Everyone who just got in, congratulations!!! Would you mind sharing when you applied and what program? I don’t want to go back and search through the thread... thanks! And congrats again!!!! 

Hey there! I’m suprised you didn’t hear back? We are both Advanced standing aren’t we? But anywho, my application was submitted 12/2, 1 year program. Thanks tho! You should be hearing back soon!!

5 minutes ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

Columbia is my first choice! Thanks! I’d like to hear from both Columbia and NYU applicants/admitted/alumni students to make my final choice. 

So anyone feel free to add more feedback. I have a week to decide before I lose NYU’s offer!

How much financial aid did NYU offer? I based my decision off that and other factors. I suggest requesting access to the NYU New MSW facebook page where you can ask current students for opinions. Also, NYU may have matched you with a champion (a current student) for you to ask questions. I was matched with someone who graduated last year from my undergrad. 

3 hours ago, Chebrutta said:

I feel like regardless of which school we all end up at, we *have* to get together in August for beers to commemorate our journey together ?

CAN WE PLEASE! ? I’ll be in New York forsure. :)

2 hours ago, doctormelody said:

@Kat_MSW2018 would you mind sharing some stats with us? If you already have, I apologize - it’s so hard to keep track.

No worries! I know it’s hard to keep up.  I am a BSW and my focus is pretty clear. I am into school social work & interning as a school social worker right now. I am very involved on campus and president of a multicultural club. My GPA overall is 3.6 but my social work GPA is 3.8.  I have worked several jobs on my campus, so I am pretty involved with school administration as it is. I’ve worked in dependency courts, summer camp, and several nonprofits. I’ve been abroad to study my second language, Spanish. I got a Public Policy fellowship last summer at the University of Minnesota. I’m also coming from Los Angeles, so my program focused on diverse, urban communities! I hope that helps!

50 minutes ago, abswk said:

@Kat_MSW2018 @TooExcited&Nervous What focus did you apply for? I’m hopeful to hear back tomorrow! 

My focus is advanced generalist practice and programming!!

7 minutes ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

No worries! I know it’s hard to keep up.  I am a BSW and my focus is pretty clear. I am into school social work & interning as a school social worker right now. I am very involved on campus and president of a multicultural club. My GPA overall is 3.6 but my social work GPA is 3.8.  I have worked several jobs on my campus, so I am pretty involved with school administration as it is. I’ve worked in dependency courts, summer camp, and several nonprofits. I’ve been abroad to study my second language, Spanish. I got a Public Policy fellowship last summer at the University of Minnesota. I’m also coming from Los Angeles, so my program focused on diverse, urban communities! I hope that helps!

Why do I feel like we are the same person!? I am interested in school social work as well and my current placement is at a school.

Anyways, my focus is advanced standing clinical track. 

13 minutes ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

Gotcha! You sound like a very impressive candidate! I just realized that since you are Advanced Standing your stats will probably be less relevant to me since I applied to the two year track, but I'm sure someone else will find them useful. Also - I, too,  like the idea of a Beer Summit. :lol:

I noticed a lot of people asking about stats. For those interested in the acceptance process, the professors at current university told me that stats don't really count for much, there is a minimum requirement, advanced standing is more strict, but after they check off that you passed they don't really look at it again. if you have an amazing GPA they may remember it when making a decision but it is not a guarantee you will be accepted. The decision is mostly based on the content and quality of the essay, which is based on your experience and goal, which is what they really care about.  the next important part is references. it is a very subjective process based on how the specific faculty feels about you being apart of the program. It goes through multiple staff but each does the same thing.

19 minutes ago, bdrake said:

I noticed a lot of people asking about stats. For those interested in the acceptance process, the professors at current university told me that stats don't really count for much, there is a minimum requirement, advanced standing is more strict, but after they check off that you passed they don't really look at it again. if you have an amazing GPA they may remember it when making a decision but it is not a guarantee you will be accepted. The decision is mostly based on the content and quality of the essay, which is based on your experience and goal, which is what they really care about.  the next important part is references. it is a very subjective process based on how the specific faculty feels about you being apart of the program. It goes through multiple staff but each does the same thing.

This makes a lot of sense. I think when people ask for "stats" on here they are generally including relevant experience and an assessment of your statement of purpose, if you feel qualified to give it... at least, that's what I mean.

Hello friends,

Just dropping in to say that I am obsessively keeping up with this forum as I still wait to hear back (advanced SEA/School concentration...applied 12/15). Congratulations to the wave of accepters yesterday! Fingers crossed for today :)

Edited by Olivia95

10 minutes ago, Olivia95 said:

They just emailed me saying I will hear a decision mid april. I am so annoyed. 

Mid-April?!?! They told me the beginning of April, and I’m not even a priority applicant. ? I guess I should just adjust my expections...

Edited by doctormelody

2 hours ago, Kathryn1994 said:

If we were put on the waitlist do we need to get back to them and let them know we are declining and won't be attending?

Did they offer you a place on the waitlist, and did you accept? Or was it an email saying "You have been put on the waitlist"?

1 hour ago, Olivia95 said:

They just emailed me saying I will hear a decision mid april. I am so annoyed. 

Wow! I’m really sorry it’s taking this long for you to hear back. I hope something magnificent happens to take away that annoyance!

51 minutes ago, lostxoco said:

Got my financial aid info, offered 16k per year. Not as much as bc and much higher tuition so I’m.m gonna have to pass ?

Yeah their tuition is out of control. Unless they offer me an outstanding financial package i will be declining as well. The debt is no way worth it. 

On 22/3/2018 at 3:49 PM, TooExcited&Nervous said:

How much financial aid did NYU offer? I based my decision off that and other factors. I suggest requesting access to the NYU New MSW facebook page where you can ask current students for opinions. Also, NYU may have matched you with a champion (a current student) for you to ask questions. I was matched with someone who graduated last year from my undergrad. 

19 hours ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Why do I feel like we are the same person!? I am interested in school social work as well and my current placement is at a school.

Anyways, my focus is advanced standing clinical track. 

Hey! I never replied to your first comment because I really needed time to think. But I did and I am going to submit my deposit to Columbia this weekend. I think that you are 100% doing the right thing going to NYU (even though my opinion means zero). The clinical track can be done in many different ways but top schools like NYU will do it best. But I am going into program development and administration, so I need that from my graduate program. I am also going into a PhD in education and I think that Columbia will help my chances of obtaining that tuition free (I will not be getting a PhD otherwise lol. 

I think we are similar! And I think that it’d be cool to link up when we get there! If it’s okay, I’ll PM you and we can exchange info!!

5 minutes ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

Hey! I never replied to your first comment because I really needed time to think. But I did and I am going to submit my deposit to Columbia this weekend. I think that you are 100% doing the right thing going to NYU (even though my opinion means zero). The clinical track can be done in many different ways but top schools like NYU will do it best. But I am going into program development and administration, so I need that from my graduate program. I am also going into a PhD in education and I think that Columbia will help my chances of obtaining that tuition free (I will not be getting a PhD otherwise lol. 

I think we are similar! And I think that it’d be cool to link up when we get there! If it’s okay, I’ll PM you and we can exchange info!!

Most def!