Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

I saw someone say sometime this week for priority peeps. I got a reply via email today (a second reply to the same email) stating application decisions will be sent out the next few weeks but for sure before March 1st. The first email they sent me (last week) said the next two weeks. So I have no idea anymore.

So for sure two weeks...lol

5 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

I saw someone say sometime this week for priority peeps. I got a reply via email today (a second reply to the same email) stating application decisions will be sent out the next few weeks but for sure before March 1st. The first email they sent me (last week) said the next two weeks. So I have no idea anymore.

So for sure two weeks...lol

The uncertainty is wild lol. What an emotional rollercoaster this is

On 2/12/2018 at 2:12 PM, Quinoa96 said:

The uncertainty is wild lol. What an emotional rollercoaster this is

HIIIII

I got my admissions result today an hour ago, I got in! It's funny because it happened just as I was leaving the juvenile detention center where I occasionally do outreach to regarding the college I work for. I really love doing that work because the kids are so excited to start over and their eyes light up at the idea of getting paid to be in school full time; it's a fresh start and they ask all kinds of questions. I thought, "Wow, I hope I can match that energy when if I get good news from Columbia," and then my heart stopped on my way to the car when I got the decision email. AHHHHHHHHHH what a wild ride. Good luck everyone!!!!

I just called and they said in two weeks or the end of the month. They apparently had a lot of applications this year which is contributing to the time delays. And this was just for the priority applicants. They originally told me I would have known like last week. Ha. I keep having to submit extensions for other schools.

CONGRATS!!!! I am glad somebody finally heard back!!

1 hour ago, wokebrowngirl said:

HIIIII

I got my admissions result today an hour ago, I got in! It's funny because it happened just as I was leaving the juvenile detention center where I occasionally do outreach to regarding the college I work for. I really love doing that work because the kids are so excited to start over and their eyes light up at the idea of getting paid to be in school full time; it's a fresh start and they ask all kinds of questions. I thought, "Wow, I hope I can match that energy when if I get good news from Columbia," and then my heart stopped on my way to the car when I got the decision email. AHHHHHHHHHH what a wild ride. Good luck everyone!!!!

Were you 2 year or advanced standing? Online or in person? We want to know!

CONGRATZ!

Edited by lanabeni

3 minutes ago, wokebrowngirl said:

2 year online with plans of going in person for the second year if there's a really good placement opportunity. 

I wonder if your early acceptance is a good sign about your scholarship! Congrats!

17 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

Awesome! Follow up questions...

When did you apply?

Any stats you feel comfortable sharing?

Submitted application on 11/30/2017 to meet the Dec 1st priority deadline. 

Stats: GPA 3.4 from UC Berkeley; majored in Ethnic Studies and double minored in Education and Spanish literature

Experience: several internships in SW field and volunteer work, two and a half years of full-time case management work with at-risk populations and program evaluation in two different settings (an npo and higher ed institution)

LORs: one from former manager, one from colleague with an MSW and another from the director of a program associated with the work I did at an NPO. 

Edited by wokebrowngirl

Searching (stalking, lol) social media and it seems like a lot of advanced standing applicants were notified yesterday, did anyone get a decision who applied to residential 2 year program? 

Crossing my fingers for everyone and congrats to those who have been accepted!

14 minutes ago, lost686girl said:

Searching (stalking, lol) social media and it seems like a lot of advanced standing applicants were notified yesterday, did anyone get a decision who applied to residential 2 year program? 

Crossing my fingers for everyone and congrats to those who have been accepted!

Really? Where did you see that? I’ve only seen two year online students confirm acceptance on this forum. 

I am so excited for you!!!!! AH!!! They emailed me yesterday and said they'll be letting us know within the next 10 days. 

As far as stats go:

3.4 GPA at Florida State University 

Psychology major with minor in Social Welfare (was originally also a Social Work Major, but had to reduce to a minor last semester)

I've participated in many leadership programs/conferences, and I'm also a member of a handful of honor societies/organizations

I was a Resident Assistant (RA) for 6 semesters (2 summers, 2 falls, 2 springs)

Been on the executive board of our big mental health organization for 2 years now

Worked as an Orientation Leader

PeaceJam Mentor

Did some research in Diversity & Inclusion, as well as on Eating Disorders

I also had the opportunity to serve as a student coordinator for a couple of my campus's leadership development programs

I am one of the founding members of a mental health initiative that was launched this academic year

Admittedly, I don't have a lot of internship experience but I'm hoping for the best lmfao. I know my letters of rec were pretty strong, but I'm hoping that my essay reflected myself in a way that was clear enough for them to see. 

I'm not sure why but I am not receiving any of the same emails as you guys from Columbia

I actually just received the weirdest email from them thanking me for applying and letting me know all of my materials are in and they are going to begin reviewing it? I submitted it in early January and already received a confirmation then that everything was in. Super confused. I already made my decision just annoying me that it is taking so long to hear back. 

Anyone else receive an email like this?

3 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

Really? Where did you see that? I’ve only seen two year online students confirm acceptance on this forum. 

I searched “Columbia social work” on twitter and Facebook and saw two advanced standing acceptances 

25 minutes ago, Kathryn1994 said:

I'm not sure why but I am not receiving any of the same emails as you guys from Columbia

I actually just received the weirdest email from them thanking me for applying and letting me know all of my materials are in and they are going to begin reviewing it? I submitted it in early January and already received a confirmation then that everything was in. Super confused. I already made my decision just annoying me that it is taking so long to hear back. 

Anyone else receive an email like this?

Yea I submitted my stuff on December 1st and got confirmation soon after, then in like the middle of January I got the confirmation email a second time. It was super confusing. 

1 hour ago, lost686girl said:

I searched “Columbia social work” on twitter and Facebook and saw two advanced standing acceptances 

That was what seemed like the norm from the previous year. The advanced standing people got theirs first. Maybe we'll get ours today/tomorrow if one person for the two year program heard back yesterday and they applied 11/30? lol

1 hour ago, Quinoa96 said:

Yea I submitted my stuff on December 1st and got confirmation soon after, then in like the middle of January I got the confirmation email a second time. It was super confusing. 

That is strange. I got the confirmation email 12/6 that everything was good and review was underway, but never got another email after that. 

4 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

That was what seemed like the norm from the previous year. The advanced standing people got theirs first. Maybe we'll get ours today/tomorrow if one person for the two year program heard back yesterday and they applied 11/30? lol

This seems random at this point? Lol I think I’m going to call. Do you think they are accepting by concentration too?

3 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

Oh god...I forgot about the concentration differences too lol

Who knows anymore

I’m banking on today or tomorrow. Does anyone wanna share their program and concentration? I think that makes a difference because they will only accept a certain amount for each, no?

i applied for ASP, generalist practice and programming.