Online post-bacc options for leveling

Hi,

I am looking for one leveling subject which I can do from overseas, online, at my local time. The subject is head and neck anatomy, which translates to anatomy of speech and hearing I think. Has anyone had experience with Longwood, USU or UM please? I quite like the idea of Longwood, but am wondering abut the workload as it seems to have so many assessment items.

There might be others online that are good, so would be grateful for any advice!

I took that class at Longwood 2016 winter I believe from Oakes. Everything was straight forward and she was very responsive. There are some models that can be time consuming but in my opinion were worth the appropriate amount of points to be worth the effort if that makes sense. They have the syllabus posted online so take a look and decide. I was working full time and thought the work load (with 2 other classes) was still manageable. Taking it alone would be totally possible. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently in my last semester of USU's second bachelor's program and I love it! It's honestly a great program and the professors are very knowledgeable and helpful even though it's online. Also, I found their course list covers the different requirements for leveling for a good majority of programs. 

I took the leveling program online from the U of MT last year. It was very intense and very time consuming, but I believe that would be the case for most CSD online classes. They are shortened so you only take one class at the time. There is only one break for two weeks at Christmas, but the rest is pretty much straight through. They do give the option of completing it in 1 or 2 years, however, I was told that if you apply to graduate school at UM they look closer that applicants that complete the program in one year because the intensity is similar to that of graduate school. For just the anatomy class... I will be honest and say that it is a bit disorganized but the quizzes were open-book which was nice. The professor is also very kind and wants everyone to succeed.

Edited by aelwood14

Eastern New Mexico University also offers leveling courses. I completed all of my communicative disorders prerequisite courses there. It was cheaper compared to Longwood, and I learned a lot from the courses. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/14/2018 at 4:04 PM, ObsessLP said:

Eastern New Mexico University also offers leveling courses. I completed all of my communicative disorders prerequisite courses there. It was cheaper compared to Longwood, and I learned a lot from the courses. 

Would you mind to share the costs of the courses through ENMU?  I'm having a hard time finding that on their website. 

On 2/14/2018 at 4:04 PM, ObsessLP said:

I'm curious why you didn't choose to apply to Radford if you were considering other schools in Virginia.  Would you care to share?  I'm considering Radford, JMU, UVA, Longwood, and possibly ODU but prefer to stay out of Norfolk if I can help it.  I still need to do my leveling courses, so I won't be applying for another year or so.

On 6/12/2018 at 3:20 PM, GingerD said:

I'm curious why you didn't choose to apply to Radford if you were considering other schools in Virginia.  Would you care to share?  I'm considering Radford, JMU, UVA, Longwood, and possibly ODU but prefer to stay out of Norfolk if I can help it.  I still need to do my leveling courses, so I won't be applying for another year or so.

I did not apply to Radford because it is too far away. I live in Gum Spring, which is about 40 minutes from UVA and 1h30m from JMU. Longwood was also doable. I only applied to those three schools and got accepted to all three. I ultimately decided on UVA because I was so impressed by them at the open house and also by how communicative they were after sending out offers. Let me know if you have any questions!

On 6/12/2018 at 3:17 PM, GingerD said:

Would you mind to share the costs of the courses through ENMU?  I'm having a hard time finding that on their website. 

It's probably different now, but it amounted to around $700+ per 3-credit course as an out-of-state student. I believe it's somewhere in the $900-$1000 range now.

On 6/13/2018 at 7:58 PM, ObsessLP said:

I did not apply to Radford because it is too far away. I live in Gum Spring, which is about 40 minutes from UVA and 1h30m from JMU. Longwood was also doable. I only applied to those three schools and got accepted to all three. I ultimately decided on UVA because I was so impressed by them at the open house and also by how communicative they were after sending out offers. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you for the feedback.  I was just curious if there was something about Radford's program that didn't appeal to you. :)  I'm from Dickenson County (on KY border), but my husband is active duty military, so we currently live out of state.  I just enrolled in Longwood's SLP Online pre-reqs this week and hope to begin courses in the fall.  Once I get through those courses, my husband should be close to retirement, so I'm looking at all the grad programs offered in VA minus those in the DC area.  I wish you the best of luck at UVA.  I have heard great things about their program.

On 2/13/2018 at 7:49 PM, lbh33 said:

I am currently in my last semester of USU's second bachelor's program and I love it! It's honestly a great program and the professors are very knowledgeable and helpful even though it's online. Also, I found their course list covers the different requirements for leveling for a good majority of programs. 

Hey congrats on your impressive list of acceptance letters? ! I'm starting the USU program in the fall! Did you have a difficult time getting LOR's from the professors since it's online? How many courses did you take at a time?

• 4 weeks later...