Post-Acceptance, Pre-Visit

The pinned thread on Campus Visits prompted a question: what are you guys doing in the 4-5 weeks between getting an acceptance and the opportunity to visit?

One of my schools was really encouraging of talking to faculty/current students; the DGS said some profs may reach out and that she could give me contact info for grad students in my area. At the same time, she welcomed me to reach out to anyone in the dept any time. I imagine the other dept has a similar policy.

I think that's something I'd like to do once I get some thoughtful questions together. Is that something you guys are thinking about doing? If yes, maybe want to make this thread a sounding board for those kinds of in-between conversations? 

I'm really glad you made this thread, because the question has been on my mind as well. 

I haven't heard back from any schools yet, but I can't imagine committing to moving my whole life to a new school without at least visiting first. How long does the typical visit last? Is it normal to ask about housing and life in the area while you're there? Or, worst of all, what if a school doesn't give you a response until April and you don't have time to visit before making a commitment? 

@katie64 - from what I've pieced together, most visiting days are between late February and early March. One of my visiting days is 2 days long in total (though I'm not sure if it is 2 full days.) I imagine others are shorter.

If you're accepted prior to the visiting day (or maybe wait-listed? Not super sure how that works) you'll get information in your official acceptance packet and whatnot. If you're admitted after the visiting day, I'm sure you can schedule at a time that works for you. That happened at my MA institution (PhDs who couldn't make the official weekend but came down later) and it wasn't a problem. If it was, I feel like that would be telling. 

I think it's definitely normal to ask about housing and life while you're there, too - personally, I'm trying to figure out if I can start asking those questions now, haha. 

Edited by a_sort_of_fractious_angel

I'm hoping to make a road trip out of it -- that is, if I get accepted to a few schools in the Northeast and the visit days line up. Most of my friends live up there, so I'd like to take a week off and visit them, too. 

And if I get accepted to anywhere in California, I'm going to try to fly out there (hence my working as many OT shifts as possible). I've never been west of Illinois, so it'd be quite the trip for this Midwesterner! 

Of course, now that I post this, I'm going to get 15 successive rejections, but, hey, a guy can dream. 

5 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

I'm hoping to make a road trip out of it -- that is, if I get accepted to a few schools in the Northeast and the visit days line up. Most of my friends live up there, so I'd like to take a week off and visit them, too. 

And if I get accepted to anywhere in California, I'm going to try to fly out there (hence my working as many OT shifts as possible). I've never been west of Illinois, so it'd be quite the trip for this Midwesterner! 

Of course, now that I post this, I'm going to get 15 successive rejections, but, hey, a guy can dream. 

Hahhaa, that won't happen! I'm sure more good news is on its way! You gonna say anything to anyone at OSU in the meantime? I'm guessing their visit is a few weeks away, too.

3 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

You gonna say anything to anyone at OSU in the meantime? I'm guessing their visit is a few weeks away, too.

OSU's Open House is April 2, which seems like years from now! I actually haven't been to Columbus in a long time, so I've kind of forgotten where everything is! 

OSU's Open House is April 2, which seems like years from now! I actually haven't been to Columbus in a long time, so I've kind of forgotten where everything is! 

THAT IS SO LONG FROM NOW! I thought late February was hard, ahaha. 

2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is there anyway to find out info about visiting weekend dates before acceptances? It seems like most websites keep that info under wraps, but maybe there's a past thread I'm missing? I'm curious and it could take my mind off this week's decisions...

Hmmm - that's a great question. I think it is under wraps (possibly because it changes every year) - your best bet would be to email the DGS but I'm not sure what the social protocol is for that. 

4 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

IT IS! What am I supposed to do with myself in the mean time? Work? Puh-leaze!!!!

Lol, I'll be "working" on drafting awkward emails to faculty in the style of ".... you sure? Also, I like your book. I never published one of those but yours is very nice. WILL YOU AUTOGRAPH IT?"

5 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is there anyway to find out info about visiting weekend dates before acceptances? It seems like most websites keep that info under wraps, but maybe there's a past thread I'm missing? I'm curious and it could take my mind off this week's decisions...

You could take my planned approach: Show up at the University and just start yelling the names of POIs or "ENGLISH PEOPLE" and hope they 1) show up; and 2) don't think you're too cray cray. 

You could take my planned approach: Show up at the University and just start yelling the names of POIs or "ENGLISH PEOPLE" and hope they 1) show up; and 2) don't think you're too cray cray. 

"ARE YOU MY MOM!? ARE YOUUUU MY MOM!?"

I'm going U of M the first week in March, and I have so many questions!

I'm am an OBSESSIVE over planner. I looked through all of the requirements and made a rough sketch of what my semesters could look like. I want to see if it's possible to double minor in Early Modern Studies and Conservation Science without extending my time there. I told them in my SOP that I wanted to compare these two subjects, but I want to make sure it will work out in practice.

I'm also going to ask about neighborhoods, clothing recommendations, and if they have any advice for my husband when he looks for a job.

Frankly, I'm a little worried about overwhelming them when they see my spreadsheet for the next 5 years.

13 minutes ago, Wabbajack said:

Frankly, I'm a little worried about overwhelming them when they see my spreadsheet for the next 5 years.

Jeebus, that must be one long spreadsheet. I can almost see my project manager anxiously popping his head out of his cubicle now! 

3 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Jeebus, that must be one long spreadsheet. I can almost see my project manager anxiously popping his head out of his cubicle now! 

I started a new one so it isn't *that* bad.... YET.

It will be by March.

1 hour ago, Wabbajack said:

Ooh, what type of spreadsheet are we talking here? I love a good 5-year plan. 

1 hour ago, Wabbajack said:

I'm going U of M the first week in March, and I have so many questions!

I'm am an OBSESSIVE over planner. I looked through all of the requirements and made a rough sketch of what my semesters could look like. I want to see if it's possible to double minor in Early Modern Studies and Conservation Science without extending my time there. I told them in my SOP that I wanted to compare these two subjects, but I want to make sure it will work out in practice.

I'm also going to ask about neighborhoods, clothing recommendations, and if they have any advice for my husband when he looks for a job.

U of M as in UMN (Minnesota) or Michigan? If it's the first, we've been talking about it in the shellacked thread and if you have any questions about Minneapolis, feel free to ask. Don't ask about living in St Paul. We don't cross back and forth over the River too much here. 

3 hours ago, khigh said:

U of M as in UMN (Minnesota) or Michigan? If it's the first, we've been talking about it in the shellacked thread and if you have any questions about Minneapolis, feel free to ask. Don't ask about living in St Paul. We don't cross back and forth over the River too much here. 

Haha, yes, Minnesota. I've been following the Shallacked thread! Sooooo much good info there.

3 hours ago, la_mod said:

Ooh, what type of spreadsheet are we talking here? I love a good 5-year plan. 

Just Google sheets. I enjoy the convenience of pulling it up on my phone all the time.

3 minutes ago, Wabbajack said:

Just Google sheets. I enjoy the convenience of pulling it up on my phone all the time.

with life goals? academic? now that i've put my grad school app sheet to bed forever (hopefully), i'm itching to plot some more. 

21 hours ago, la_mod said:

with life goals? academic? now that i've put my grad school app sheet to bed forever (hopefully), i'm itching to plot some more. 

I have different sheets for general goals and specific ideas. I just started one for Minnesota. It helped me quite a lot with figuring out some questions to ask!

I totally understand that "itching to plot." NC has hundreds of breweries, so I'm trying to plan out the best way to visit as may as possible before I leave for as little money as possible... and then rank the breweries on specific categories in their own sheet.