AuD Applicants!!

AveDyl

ME! Every time I get an email I freak out! It's hard to just sit around and feel like I'm not really accomplishing anything, so I've been

a. searching for scholarships

b. searching for jobs for my husband in the cities of the schools I applied to

c. searching for houses/apartments in those cities

d. checking Grad Cafe literally every 15 minutes

I think I'm driving my husband crazy. I'm obsessed. 

Helloo! I'm also in the waiting game now after submitting my apps. I was just wondering, how do you know which schools provide more funding? I've been looking through this thread and a lot of people have been offered a full-ride, but how? Do you have to ask what kind of additional funding is available? 

1 hour ago, jml2411 said:

Helloo! I'm also in the waiting game now after submitting my apps. I was just wondering, how do you know which schools provide more funding? I've been looking through this thread and a lot of people have been offered a full-ride, but how? Do you have to ask what kind of additional funding is available? 

It depends on the school. I would say a full-ride is few and far between. Many schools do offer assistantships, but unluckily for us those usually only last the first year or so because most schools have you travel for clinical sites and there isn't time for assistantships with clinicals and classes. Most schools will just automatically consider you for funding and others you need to apply. It's really just a luck of a draw, but you can always apply for other scholarships. 

9 hours ago, AB121212 said:

ME! Every time I get an email I freak out! It's hard to just sit around and feel like I'm not really accomplishing anything, so I've been

a. searching for scholarships

b. searching for jobs for my husband in the cities of the schools I applied to

c. searching for houses/apartments in those cities

d. checking Grad Cafe literally every 15 minutes

I think I'm driving my husband crazy. I'm obsessed. 

EXACT SAME. My husband is seriously my biggest supporter, but sometimes, he just does not understand the stress of waiting for these decisions! I don't know if its a man thing or if its a "I'm not an Audiology student" thing, lol. 

@AB121212 yay for being married AUD applicants and driving our hubbys NUTS! lol I am also freaking out about housing and job opportunities. It's so tough when you know you can't just get up and go anywhere. Literally his life is changing just as much as mine. Thank god he is so supportive. Best of luck to you and your search! I'm with ya girl!

On 2/8/2018 at 9:28 AM, stayhappy123 said:

Hey, what are your stats if you don't mind sharing. Thanks

Hi!

My stats are quite average GPA is 3.5 and GRE is really low, I only took them once which is below the average a bit. However my extracurricular activities, volunteerism, leadership positions, community service, charity, research assistantship jobs, letter of recommendations, and personal statement are what I think made me stand out.

On 2/1/2018 at 6:26 PM, FutureAuD8 said:

It depends on the school. I would say a full-ride is few and far between. Many schools do offer assistantships, but unluckily for us those usually only last the first year or so because most schools have you travel for clinical sites and there isn't time for assistantships with clinicals and classes. Most schools will just automatically consider you for funding and others you need to apply. It's really just a luck of a draw, but you can always apply for other scholarships. 

Hey everyone, I'm a first year AuD student and I was wondering about a lot of this last year as I went through the process! In terms of getting an idea of how many students schools fund, ASHA EdFind was a solid resource. I will say that the information is only as recent as the last time institutions submitted reports, but it's still nice to be able to see. Definitely don't be afraid to directly ask program/admissions directors more specific questions, like what percentage of incoming students are offered funding, what form is that in (TA/RA, scholarship, government grant, VA, in-state tuition rate, etc.), do they have a limit as to how long they fund you, etc. I am blessed to be fully funded in the program I'm in now, but I will say it's the only program I got a full scholarship offer from (I applied to six schools) and I'm the only one in my class who received it. Another school of mine gave a scholarship covering half tuition, and then I spoke to the department chair more and she said she would be willing to hire me in her lab if I attended, and that would have covered another quarter of tuition. One school had fellowships/assistantships I could apply for in addition to applying for admission. Some were openly displayed on websites and others you kind of had to go searching for. 

Sorry for so many words, but as you can see, there really is a wide range of ways institutions go about making funding offers. Half of my schools I didn't pursue at all after I got accepted, because they didn't have you apply for funding until after you committed or attended. Hope some of this is helpful!