Does anyone else get 'shiny object syndrome' when you hear from a prospective PhD program?

ProudCatMom

I feel like any campus visit/interview/etc automatically gets me super interested and excited with a particular program. I have to talk myself down a little bit and not get too starry eyed anytime a prospective program sends something promising my way. It's bad enough even my partner has pointed it out LOL Anyone else suffer from this?

Yes! I got an interview at Northwestern about two weeks ago and have been obsessively researching not just NU but advice about living in Chicago in general LOL. I'm sure my partner's sick of hearing random facts about Chitown by now

For sure! I'm having a hard time not just assuming things will work (my stupid optimistic personality...) and then thinking about how awesome any of my options would be. My brain is setting me up for disappointment if things don't work out well...

Also if I hear something that can even be remotely interpreted as good news I start dreaming about being in that lab, program, and location (I'm really ready to leave my current town!). But then I do the exact same thing in the next place that indicates potential good news! I guess the good thing about that is that means I'm super excited about any of my options if they work out.

13 hours ago, balaenopter_a said:

I'm right here with you I've been "apartment shopping" and looking at areas to live in etc. etc. it's so hard not to get too excited but everything is exciting!

Ha! I've totally been "apartment shopping" and in awe of how cheap housing is even in Chicago, compared to NYC!

Yes, 100% there with you! I got accepted at Indiana U at Bloomington; a program I kinda forgot I applied to and now I am so excited for it. My top choice was Penn State and the longer they take to get back to me, the less and less I seem to even care if I get in there or not. I've also been apartment shopping online and oh my g*d. I pay $1670/mo split in half with my significant other for my apartment right now for a ONE bedroom. That's like a mansion in Indiana. 

2 hours ago, indigopierogy said:

I pay $1670/mo split in half with my significant other for my apartment right now for a ONE bedroom. That's like a mansion in Indiana. 

My rent now in a relatively low-cost neighborhood in NYC is about the same as living right in the middle of Chicago's business center. It's crazy!

7 minutes ago, deshypothequiez said:

My rent now in a relatively low-cost neighborhood in NYC is about the same as living right in the middle of Chicago's business center. It's crazy!

I know. I am struggling to make ends meet as a self-funded MA student on the island because the rent is so high. I only am able to survive because of my SO's income. I just can't wait to move to someplace where we can afford a two bedroom for half the price of what we pay now. Its sticker shock but because of how cheap the rest of the country is! Even 'cities' like Bloomington. Downtown, half the price. :blink:

11 minutes ago, indigopierogy said:

I know. I am struggling to make ends meet as a self-funded MA student on the island because the rent is so high. I only am able to survive because of my SO's income. I just can't wait to move to someplace where we can afford a two bedroom for half the price of what we pay now. Its sticker shock but because of how cheap the rest of the country is! Even 'cities' like Bloomington. Downtown, half the price. :blink:

NYU is still my top choice because of the fit and the fact that uprooting and moving halfway across the country is pretty daunting, but yeah, the thought of trying to survive in NYC on a grad student's stipend is even more daunting! I haven't had the talk with my SO about moving yet, though... that's the biggest thing I'm worried about!

20 hours ago, balaenopter_a said:

I'm right here with you I've been "apartment shopping" and looking at areas to live in etc. etc. it's so hard not to get too excited but everything is exciting!

Same! I've researched all the areas and price ranges and potential TA stipends to see what I could possibly afford. I think it helps give some aspect of control in your life back while you're waiting! :D

1 hour ago, voaku said:

Same! I've researched all the areas and price ranges and potential TA stipends to see what I could possibly afford. I think it helps give some aspect of control in your life back while you're waiting!

My excel sheet is really hefty adding info on the daily like oh here's how to cook on a stipend oh I can find roommates here oh best supermarket for this here and more. It does give me a sense of control and I love it.

I got an invite to attend a student preview event at Sam Houston and I'm in the same boat. Looking at places to live and drooling at how much cheaper Texas is than SoCal. My excitement level has skyrocketed ?. I'll probably die if I get an acceptance or invite from another school.