Fall 2018 Decision

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely struggled making my decision! I feel very lucky that my top two programs are both just a bus or train ride away from me so after I was accepted to both, the location factor didn't really matter to me anymore. 

It really came down to money and program fit for me. Both Loyola and University of Chicago are great programs but, they offer very different things. UChicago being very research based and as many current students and alumni have told me, a very competitive environment. Loyola is very clinically focused and most of the professors are also practicing clinicians. After speaking with many people from both programs I found myself very drawn to Loyola. I honestly can't stress enough how much talking with current and past students helped. 

Financially I received scholarships from UChicago that make the program only slightly more expensive than Loyola that nicely evened the playing field.

I think what really tipped the scales was a bunch of small things that added up in Loyoals favor. I also say, go with your gut! If something doesn't feel right or  something really clicks, listen to that feeling!

And if anyone has questions about either program I would be happy to share what I learned from students and alums!

On 3/5/2018 at 11:02 AM, TooExcited&Nervous said:

I am honestly trying to decide on whether I want to attend NYU or UPitt. The cost is going to be about the same for me, which is making my decision hard. 

I'm trying to decide between Pitt, Chicago, and Columbia... Pitt is half the cost of UChicago, and I haven't gotten any FA info from Columbia. Chicago wants a decision on 3/9, and I'm really torn. 

Which school are you leaning towards?

7 minutes ago, o___livia said:

I'm trying to decide between Pitt, Chicago, and Columbia... Pitt is half the cost of UChicago, and I haven't gotten any FA info from Columbia. Chicago wants a decision on 3/9, and I'm really torn. 

Which school are you leaning towards?

My decision keeps fluctating, but if I like Pitt when I visit next week, I may choose to go there. I have to make a decision by the 15th. 

4 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

My decision keeps fluctating, but if I like Pitt when I visit next week, I may choose to go there. I have to make a decision by the 15th. 

Can I ask what you like about Pitt? (at least on paper)
I live in Pittsburgh now, but I am interested in maybe working in NYC/Chicago/California someday. I'm worried that if I go to Pitt, I'll have a harder time getting jobs out of state. Do you feel similarly between Pitt and NYU?

7 minutes ago, o___livia said:

Can I ask what you like about Pitt? (at least on paper)
I live in Pittsburgh now, but I am interested in maybe working in NYC/Chicago/California someday. I'm worried that if I go to Pitt, I'll have a harder time getting jobs out of state. Do you feel similarly between Pitt and NYU?

Honestly, the only difference to me is the city. I am from the midwest but I have lived in TN, FL, as well. I don't plan on laying roots in Pitt at all. But I like the HSV concentration aspect versus NYU don't really have that.

I am choosing to enroll in Westfield State University, and for me, it turned out to not be a hard decision at all!

I live in the pioneer valley and chose to only apply to schools I could commute to from my current home. in our area there are really only 3 MSW programs: Westfield State, Smith, and Springfield College. I didn't apply to Springfield College because I wanted a clinical focus, rather than a generalist focus. I got in to both Smith and Westfield, but even after significant merit based aid, Smith was going to cost me three times what Smith was, and Smith doesn't have a part time option so it would have been much more challenging to hold down a job for me personally. I am just not in a financial place to not have a job or to pay Smith tuition. After talking to some social workers who I really trust and being assured that the school I chose would matter less in the long run than my field placements and overall performance, and social workers who had attended Westfield and been very successful, it became clear that going to Westfield was the right choice for me.

I have an admit from Northeastern Uni for engineering management. What is the buzz about this university there ?.I am An international student and I am worried about the aggresive nature in which Neu has been giving admits. They travelled all the way to India to hand out On-Spot admits. Please help.

Just toured NYU this past weekend and although I love NYC, I will be attending University of Denver!  (I also got rejected from UCLA so made my decision fairly easy!)

Love NYU's location in the big city but I didn't love that they don't have concentrations. DU has an Animal Assisted Social Work certificate I can do and opportunities for equine therapy stuff that I'm super interested in.  Denver isn't nearly as exciting as NYC but I'm thinking at least I can get a studio apartment without going incredibly broke :)

Edited by bmers

8 minutes ago, bmers said:

Just toured NYU this past weekend and although I love NYC, I will be attending University of Denver!  (I also got rejected from UCLA so made my decision fairly easy!)

Love NYU's location in the big city but I didn't love that they don't have concentrations. DU has an Animal Assisted Social Work certificate I can do and opportunities for equine therapy stuff that I'm super interested in.  Denver isn't nearly as exciting as NYC but I'm thinking at least I can get a studio apartment without going incredibly broke :)

That's one of the reasons I am torn between Pitt and NYU. The concentration aspect is getting me. 

33 minutes ago, bmers said:

Congrats on Denver! I applied to UCLA's MSW program and still haven't heard back. When did they get back to you and how if you don't mind me asking?

On 2/27/2018 at 10:41 AM, HannahRae said:

I definitely struggled making my decision! I feel very lucky that my top two programs are both just a bus or train ride away from me so after I was accepted to both, the location factor didn't really matter to me anymore. 

It really came down to money and program fit for me. Both Loyola and University of Chicago are great programs but, they offer very different things. UChicago being very research based and as many current students and alumni have told me, a very competitive environment. Loyola is very clinically focused and most of the professors are also practicing clinicians. After speaking with many people from both programs I found myself very drawn to Loyola. I honestly can't stress enough how much talking with current and past students helped. 

Financially I received scholarships from UChicago that make the program only slightly more expensive than Loyola that nicely evened the playing field.

I think what really tipped the scales was a bunch of small things that added up in Loyoals favor. I also say, go with your gut! If something doesn't feel right or  something really clicks, listen to that feeling!

And if anyone has questions about either program I would be happy to share what I learned from students and alums!

Welcome to Loyola! 

I'm partially posting this as catharsis for myself, and partially hoping someone else is in the same situation as me. So far I've been accepted at VCU and Columbia and rejected from UNC Chapel Hill. I love Columbia, but it is wildly expensive and I can't afford to go with the current financial aid package they've offered me. I'm trying to negotiate more aid, but I'm also not getting my hopes up. As for VCU, they don't award financial aid until June... way after when I would have to accept the offer of admission. All I know is that VCU awards every student at $20,500 loan and given that I'm out of state, that doesn't even cover half of the cost. I'm still waiting to hear from UNC Wilmington and George Mason, but right now it seems very unlikely that I'll be starting my MSW this fall at all. Chapel Hill was my first choice, I just graduated in December and live in the area, so it's affordable and a great school- everything I'm looking for. It's disappointing but I think I may take another year to work and reapply next application season. Anyone else in a similar situation?