Fall 2018 Data Science/Analytics Applicants

12 minutes ago, sweetchild said:

I didn't get a decision from Brown either, but I'm not too worried with the rolling admissions and all. I'd actually love to hear where all you're top choices are. My top-tier choices are NYU, Columbia, and Duke although I've been incredibility indecisive and feel as though my preferences change every day.

That said, I've been hearing more and more about programs that are "cash cows" that should be avoided. Honestly I'm not totally sure I understand the concept and what would classify a program as a cash cow (ie. the research experience, the length, the challenging coursework?). You guys have any thoughts here? I would hate to invest so much in something that doesn't actually give much value at the end of the day.

I've read a lot about this, especially first looking into programs in DS/Analytics since its such a trendy area for schools to hop onto and make more money using existing profs, classes, and such. but tbh, if the program has incredible career statistics (northwestern, NCSU come to mind) I think its 100% worth it. Especially because those are such technical programs; you're receiving hard skills that will help land you the job you want. 

I came across the Columbia Applied Analytics program and everyone on quora or whatever was calling it a cash cow program because it was in the school of professional studies. I didn't end up applying, but columbia has like 4 different programs that are slightly different from each other but same main idea. So I do think it happens... but I also think it depends on what you perceive the value as. 

With my POV, anything that provides me with the technical skills I currently lack, provides industry exposure, and has something sort of promising to me career wise (stats of the program graduates or programs from the same department that are successful) is worthwhile. 

Edited by businessanalyticsgirl

10 minutes ago, businessanalyticsgirl said:

I have an offer from UVA Data science, Duke MQM: Business Analytics (which ill turn down), and im waiting on UT Austin, Northwestern Analytics, Brown DS, and Columbia Business Analytics (brand new program in the IEOR Department). Northwestern is my #1 followed by columbia, both of which i had an interview for. so just an anxious mess now. 

I haven't even considered the undergraduates lol. 

I don't know, the results page in general makes me skeptical because you can throw anything out there that you want. lol. Im sure since theres more than one person posting about it that people have received decisions. Just not us yet, apparently. 

Wow, I like the schools on your list. Northwestern is a pipe dream for me, considering I had a low undergraduate GPA, but I wrote a really detailed description of my research interests so I'm hoping they see through the numbers.

And yeah I'm pretty nervous too, but I have a safety, Syracuse, to fall back on which I'm happy about. The great thing about Brown's program is all the new funding they got for research so I feel like networking and finding opportunities to work while studying will be plentiful.

9 minutes ago, sweetchild said:

I didn't get a decision from Brown either, but I'm not too worried with the rolling admissions and all. I'd actually love to hear where all you're top choices are. My top-tier choices are NYU, Columbia, and Duke although I've been incredibility indecisive and feel as though my preferences change every day.

That said, I've been hearing more and more about programs that are "cash cows" that should be avoided. Honestly I'm not totally sure I understand the concept and what would classify a program as a cash cow (ie. the research experience, the length, the challenging coursework?). You guys have any thoughts here? I would hate to invest so much in something that doesn't actually give much value at the end of the day.

Hahaha imagine getting into all your top choices and having to choose. I guess there are worse problems :)

5 minutes ago, abnormalcluster said:

Wow, I like the schools on your list. Northwestern is a pipe dream for me, considering I had a low undergraduate GPA, but I wrote a really detailed description of my research interests so I'm hoping they see through the numbers.

And yeah I'm pretty nervous too, but I have a safety, Syracuse, to fall back on which I'm happy about. The great thing about Brown's program is all the new funding they got for research so I feel like networking and finding opportunities to work while studying will be plentiful.

Hahaha imagine getting into all your top choices and having to choose. I guess there are worse problems :)

Haha, I like them too. Syracuse is a great school so it's nice to know you have something, which is how I feel about UVA. Honestly never thought I had a chance at Northwestern or Columbia. I'm in undergrad right now at a liberal arts college as an econ major, my GRE Q is over 90th percentile but my verbal is atrocious, I have no formal CS background(taking python and java online rn), my GPA is only a 3.6 (major is 3.8) and I've only had one internship in my life which had almost nothing to do with analytics. Research experience is limited to my thesis. So Northwestern is like a dream to me too. I'd go nuts. 

13 minutes ago, businessanalyticsgirl said:

Haha, I like them too. Syracuse is a great school so it's nice to know you have something, which is how I feel about UVA. Honestly never thought I had a chance at Northwestern or Columbia. I'm in undergrad right now at a liberal arts college as an econ major, my GRE Q is over 90th percentile but my verbal is atrocious, I have no formal CS background(taking python and java online rn), my GPA is only a 3.6 (major is 3.8) and I've only had one internship in my life which had almost nothing to do with analytics. Research experience is limited to my thesis. So Northwestern is like a dream to me too. I'd go nuts. 

Hey those are pretty good credentials! I think the quant part of the GRE is more important anyways for this program. Plus econ is largely applied math anyways, and I think admissions committees are always looking for ways to add to the diversity of their class so having people from different undergraduate areas of study is probably a good thing. I studied electrical engineering as an undergrad so I have some pre-reqs covered already but I went to work for a year between college and this application, so who knows how they'll perceive that. Anyways, I'm rooting for us.

1 hour ago, abnormalcluster said:

Hey those are pretty good credentials! I think the quant part of the GRE is more important anyways for this program. Plus econ is largely applied math anyways, and I think admissions committees are always looking for ways to add to the diversity of their class so having people from different undergraduate areas of study is probably a good thing. I studied electrical engineering as an undergrad so I have some pre-reqs covered already but I went to work for a year between college and this application, so who knows how they'll perceive that. Anyways, I'm rooting for us.

Yes, definitely hoping the best for everyone. Keep us updated if you hear anything from Brown! 

I heard that NYU sent out rejection mails to some phd applicants today... and it seems like no one gets admission today... Does it apply to the master's program? I saw on the results page that the admission committee had sent offers for 2 weeks(2/26~3/8).. the rest would not get offers at all...? :( 

Edited by hope_1

21 hours ago, hope_1 said:

I heard that NYU sent out rejection mails to some phd applicants today... and it seems like no one gets admission today... Does it apply to the master's program? I saw on the results page that the admission committee had sent offers for 2 weeks(2/26~3/8).. the rest would not get offers at all...? :( 

Let's just think that we are all waitlisters... :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, ElenaL said:

ditto to this... still hasn't stop me from obsessively refreshing to page

Same. Not feeling too good about this in any case.

According to the results, people have gotten in so maybe it's only up for acceptances?

EDIT: refreshed again, view decision status is there now.

Edited by sydgem

1 hour ago, feed.the.beat said:

Let's just think that we are all waitlisters... :rolleyes:

Hopefully.... I'm also waiting for Columbia. It seems like this year they will begin sending out results later than last year. According to the results page, people got offers on march 9. So stressful...haha 

Edited by hope_1

30 minutes ago, sydgem said:

Same. Not feeling too good about this in any case.

According to the results, people have gotten in so maybe it's only up for acceptances?

EDIT: refreshed again, view decision status is there now.

mine appeared too, I got waitlisted... hope it went well for you!

5 minutes ago, ElenaL said:

mine appeared too, I got waitlisted... hope it went well for you!

lol, no. second time applicant, waitlisted last year, rejected this year.  I was expecting it after not having an interview this year (had one last year). good luck!

58 minutes ago, hope_1 said:

Hopefully.... I'm also waiting for Columbia. It seems like this year they will begin sending out results later than last year. According to the results page, people got offers on march 9. So stressful...haha 

I'm on the same boat!

Yeah... seems like Columbia is a bit late this year. Last was 9th and the year before around 11th-14th. The wait is killing me! 

Plus, I got a Reject yesterday from USC Data Informatics but they will consider me for their new Msc. Applied Data Science which is almost the same program. Hope that one is a green for me! 

On 3/16/2018 at 5:47 PM, hope_1 said:

Ughh, I'm also waiting on Columbia. I'm dying ova here.

17 hours ago, abnormalcluster said:

I have a feeling we're going to get some spicy decisions this week. I'm stocking up on alcohol as we speak

Hahaha I am so anxious that I want to immolate  myself by calling Columbia's Graduate Admissions and ask for the results! However, I have the feeling that if I do this my Application will burn and disappear from their system automatically :P 

23 hours ago, feed.the.beat said:

Hahaha I am so anxious that I want to immolate  myself by calling Columbia's Graduate Admissions and ask for the results! However, I have the feeling that if I do this my Application will burn and disappear from their system automatically :P 

Columbia's admin office told that they would start releasing the results from the end of March (I saw that on the results page). So maybe... starting next week? This waiting game is driving me crazy.

Hello, I have been creeping on this thread for a while, and I think it is about time to post my question and share my stats.

Is there anyone who knows well about University of Rochester's MSDS program?

Seems like it is a good program, yet I am little bit concerned by its location and possible job opportunities for internationals. 

FYI, as you will see from my stats, I had a great deal of experience in neuroscience yet decided to discontinue studying neuro

and pursue career in data science.

Here are my stats just for reference:

Citizenship: South Korean

Undergrad: UCSD Cognitive Science, specialization in Machine Learning and Neural Computation

GPA: 3.54 (major: 3.83)

Experience:

Neuroscience lab, UCSD (2 years) 

Neuroscience lab, Yale(3 months)

Neuroscience lab, Seoul National University(1.5 years)

Schools applied

University of Rochester(MSDS) - admitted w/ 40% tuition scholarship 

NYU (MSDS)

USC (MSDS)

Duke (MIDS)

Brown (MSDS)

Upenn (MSEDS)

Toronto (MScAC)

University of Washington, Seattle (MSDS)

Yale (MS Stat)

UVA (MSDS)

Edited by jonghwi91

On 3/25/2018 at 6:12 AM, jonghwi91 said:

Hello, I have been creeping on this thread for a while, and I think it is about time to post my question and share my stats.

Is there anyone who knows well about University of Rochester's MSDS program?

Seems like it is a good program, yet I am little bit concerned by its location and possible job opportunities for internationals. 

FYI, as you will see from my stats, I had a great deal of experience in neuroscience yet decided to discontinue studying neuro

and pursue career in data science.

Here are my stats just for reference:

Citizenship: South Korean

Undergrad: UCSD Cognitive Science, specialization in Machine Learning and Neural Computation

GPA: 3.54 (major: 3.83)

Experience:

Neuroscience lab, UCSD (2 years) 

Neuroscience lab, Yale(3 months)

Neuroscience lab, Seoul National University(1.5 years)

Schools applied

University of Rochester(MSDS) - admitted w/ 40% tuition scholarship 

NYU (MSDS)

USC (MSDS)

Duke (MIDS)

Brown (MSDS)

Upenn (MSEDS)

Toronto (MScAC)

University of Washington, Seattle (MSDS)

Yale (MS Stat)

UVA (MSDS)

I also applied to UofR and I actually went to undergrad there for cognitive science. If you're looking to apply data science specifically to cogsci it's a wonderful place to be. Beyond that I can't really speak to the program but I know they've made huge investments in the area.

In terms of jobs after graduation, Rochester is pretty much a dying city so most end up in NYC after graduation. That said, I moved to Boston and my closest friend from undergrad are in Philly, BC, Chicago and Berlin now so it can really vary. Just don't expect to stick around Rochester. Overall, I absolutely loved my time at undergrad there. It's a really great school and it's a very reasonably priced program. The main reason why I'm not accepting my offer is that I wanted a change of pace, not because of the program itself.

Hope that helps!