Jump to content
bigdatagirl

Fall 2018 Data Science/Analytics Applicants

Recommended Posts

I can't seem to find much about people applying to data science and analytics masters programs so I thought I'd start one myself. 

I'm super frustrating with not being able to find information on when decisions will be sent out, so I'm hoping find out if anyone has heard from anywhere. 

 

I've applied to:

Chicago's MA in Computational Social Science

Chicago's Masters in Analytics

Georgetown's Masters in Analytics (focus in data science)

Northwestern's MS in Analytics

LSE Applied Social Data Science and Data Science masters programs

I just found out yesterday that I've been accepted to UVAs masters in Data Science. Has anyone heard back from any of these schools???

 

Just for reference...

School: Hillsdale College

Major: Psychology and Political Economy, minors in French and Mathematics

GPA: 3.53 (4.0) psychology major 3.90 (4.0)

GRE: 162 (81%) Q, 165 (96%), 4.5 AW

Relevant Courses: Statistics for the Social Sciences, Econometrics, Linear Algebra, Multivariable Calculus, Mathematical Statistics, Statistical Learning

Other things: As far as programming I have experience with R and SPSS and have basic knowledge of HTML, C++, and SQL. I'm in the process of publishing psychology research as first author, have leadership experience in my sorority and two other campus organizations, have been my psychology department's statistics and SPSS tutor since sophomore year, am part of both the psychology and economics honoraries, and spent a month at Oxford this summer taking two courses. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all! 

I've also been feeling like there's very little info out there (probably because most of the programs are so new). I thought I'd share my stats as well.

 

I've applied to:

NYU: MS, Data Science

NYU: MS, Applied Statistics for Social Science Research

Columbia: MS, Data Science

Brown: MS, Data Science

Duke: MS, Interdisciplinary Data Science

University of Rochester: MS, Data Science

University of San Francisco: MS, Data Science (previously MS, Analytics)

So far I've been accepted USF and UofR with a 15% and 60% tuition scholarship respectively. 

 

Just for reference...

Undergraduate: University of Rochester (explains the large UofR scholarship :) )

Majors: 1) Brain & Cognitive Science 2) Psychology

GPA: 1) BCS: 3.98,  2) Psychology 4.00

GRE: 163 (84%) Q, 167 (98%), 4.0 AW

Relevant Courses: The Science of Programming (Java), Statistics for the Social Sciences, Calculus I & II, Linear Algebra 

Other things:

- I've completed Coursera's Data Science Certificate (via John's Hopkins) which is taught in R

- I have 3 years of research/evaluation experience across the public and private sector. Currently, I'm a Data Consultant at a market research firm where I work with clients in the marketing and technology industry to scope, execute, analyze, and present results of custom data projects. I know that's a lot of buzz words, but basically it's a lot of survey analytics and client presentations.

 

I was actually planning on waiting until next year to apply to programs as I am just now taking Linear Algebra at night and was planning on taking Multivariate Calculus in the fall to complete the prereqs that most programs have. I've been completely surprised to already receive several offers and I extremely excited (and also quite nervous) to start somewhere in the Fall. If I'm being honest, I am a bit scared that most students in these programs will have heavy CS and Stats backgrounds and that I am looking at a very steep learning curve. It's nice to see another psych major over here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've applied to:

MIT: Master of Business Analytics (Interviewed)

Harvard: MS Data Science (Rejected)

Columbia: MS Data Science

CMU: Master of Computational Data Science

USC: MS Data Science (Accepted)

 

reference:

Undergrad: Chulalongkorn University (Information and Communication Engineering)

GRE: 169 (96%) Q, 162 (91%) V, 4.0 AW

GPA: 3.98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2018 at 10:20 AM, sweetchild said:

Hi all! 

I've also been feeling like there's very little info out there (probably because most of the programs are so new). I thought I'd share my stats as well.

 

I've applied to:

NYU: MS, Data Science

NYU: MS, Applied Statistics for Social Science Research

Columbia: MS, Data Science

Brown: MS, Data Science

Duke: MS, Interdisciplinary Data Science

University of Rochester: MS, Data Science

University of San Francisco: MS, Data Science (previously MS, Analytics)

So far I've been accepted USF and UofR with a 15% and 60% tuition scholarship respectively. 

 

Just for reference...

Undergraduate: University of Rochester (explains the large UofR scholarship :) )

Majors: 1) Brain & Cognitive Science 2) Psychology

GPA: 1) BCS: 3.98,  2) Psychology 4.00

GRE: 163 (84%) Q, 167 (98%), 4.0 AW

Relevant Courses: The Science of Programming (Java), Statistics for the Social Sciences, Calculus I & II, Linear Algebra 

Other things:

- I've completed Coursera's Data Science Certificate (via John's Hopkins) which is taught in R

- I have 3 years of research/evaluation experience across the public and private sector. Currently, I'm a Data Consultant at a market research firm where I work with clients in the marketing and technology industry to scope, execute, analyze, and present results of custom data projects. I know that's a lot of buzz words, but basically it's a lot of survey analytics and client presentations.

 

I was actually planning on waiting until next year to apply to programs as I am just now taking Linear Algebra at night and was planning on taking Multivariate Calculus in the fall to complete the prereqs that most programs have. I've been completely surprised to already receive several offers and I extremely excited (and also quite nervous) to start somewhere in the Fall. If I'm being honest, I am a bit scared that most students in these programs will have heavy CS and Stats backgrounds and that I am looking at a very steep learning curve. It's nice to see another psych major over here!

Have you heard anything from Brown MS Data Science? I also applied to the program and haven't heard anything since I submitted it in Jan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 4:27 PM, ElenaL said:

I can't seem to find much about people applying to data science and analytics masters programs so I thought I'd start one myself. 

I'm super frustrating with not being able to find information on when decisions will be sent out, so I'm hoping find out if anyone has heard from anywhere. 

 

I've applied to:

Chicago's MA in Computational Social Science

Chicago's Masters in Analytics

Georgetown's Masters in Analytics (focus in data science)

Northwestern's MS in Analytics

LSE Applied Social Data Science and Data Science masters programs

I just found out yesterday that I've been accepted to UVAs masters in Data Science. Has anyone heard back from any of these schools???

 

Just for reference...

School: Hillsdale College

Major: Psychology and Political Economy, minors in French and Mathematics

GPA: 3.53 (4.0) psychology major 3.90 (4.0)

GRE: 162 (81%) Q, 165 (96%), 4.5 AW

Relevant Courses: Statistics for the Social Sciences, Econometrics, Linear Algebra, Multivariable Calculus, Mathematical Statistics, Statistical Learning

Other things: As far as programming I have experience with R and SPSS and have basic knowledge of HTML, C++, and SQL. I'm in the process of publishing psychology research as first author, have leadership experience in my sorority and two other campus organizations, have been my psychology department's statistics and SPSS tutor since sophomore year, am part of both the psychology and economics honoraries, and spent a month at Oxford this summer taking two courses. 

 

Have you received an interview for Northwestern? The results page says a few people have been interviewed but on their website they say they don't technically do interviews. Wondering if it's bad to not have one. lolol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, businessanalyticsgirl said:

Have you heard anything from Brown MS Data Science? I also applied to the program and haven't heard anything since I submitted it in Jan.

No, nothing. But given the results search I don't really think anyone has. I'm a bit surprised considering that it's supposed to be rolling admissions and like you I applied early in December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, businessanalyticsgirl said:

Have you received an interview for Northwestern? The results page says a few people have been interviewed but on their website they say they don't technically do interviews. Wondering if it's bad to not have one. lolol. 

I have not received an interview and I also didn't submit the video, I'm feeling like that's a bad sign...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ElenaL said:

I have not received an interview and I also didn't submit the video, I'm feeling like that's a bad sign...

I did submit the video, I guess all we can do is wait, probably end of next week I'm assuming we'll hear. I also got accepted to UVA's data science masters program.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anyone who received offers from NYU MS Data Science? I know that some acceptance letters were mailed out on Tuesday... but I'm wondering if I still have a chance to get in, unless all the offers were sent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, businessanalyticsgirl said:

I did submit the video, I guess all we can do is wait, probably end of next week I'm assuming we'll hear. I also got accepted to UVA's data science masters program.  

Me too!!! I got accepted to Chicago's Computational Social Science program yesterday with 2/3 funding, but I think UVA is more well known/higher ranked? I can never find any good ranking of data science/analytics programs... any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ElenaL said:

Me too!!! I got accepted to Chicago's Computational Social Science program yesterday with 2/3 funding, but I think UVA is more well known/higher ranked? I can never find any good ranking of data science/analytics programs... any thoughts?

Honestly, I have no idea. I personally have ranked schools based on where I want to be and what I've heard about the curriculum, but I don't know anything about Chicago's Computational Social Science program. I did just receive a "discussion" invitation to Northwestern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hope_1 said:

Is there anyone who received offers from NYU MS Data Science? I know that some acceptance letters were mailed out on Tuesday... but I'm wondering if I still have a chance to get in, unless all the offers were sent. 

I haven't heard anything from NYU either. Not a peep. I am so nervous as I am terribly bound by geography and NYU is my top choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 10:15 AM, hope_1 said:

Is there anyone who received offers from NYU MS Data Science? I know that some acceptance letters were mailed out on Tuesday... but I'm wondering if I still have a chance to get in, unless all the offers were sent. 

I actually did receive an offer from NYU! That being said I definitely don't think letters were sent to all the accepted students. I know that last year none of the acceptances were mailed out until April, so I would find it really hard to believe they're already done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 11:09 AM, businessanalyticsgirl said:

Honestly, I have no idea. I personally have ranked schools based on where I want to be and what I've heard about the curriculum, but I don't know anything about Chicago's Computational Social Science program. I did just receive a "discussion" invitation to Northwestern. 

congrats!! let me know if they tell you when they're sending out decisions! i'm sure i'm at best waitlisted but just want to know for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ElenaL said:

congrats!! let me know if they tell you when they're sending out decisions! i'm sure i'm at best waitlisted but just want to know for sure. 

They said mid-March so sometime next week. I have a feeling I’m waitlisted as well. Also a good amount of people get in that don’t get interviews from what I can tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, great to find prospective DS students! 

I've applied to several Data Programs as well

Columbia - Data Science                                                 [Waiting]

NYU GSAS - Data Science                                               [Waiting]

USC - Data Informatics                                                    [Waiting]

NYU Tandon - Computer Science (Data Oriented)      [Rejected and Declined offer to transfer App to Computer Engineering]

Fordham - Data Analytics                                               [Waiting]

Undergraduate: Well known Institute in Argentina

BSc in Nuclear Engineering

GPA: 3.51 

GRE: 156 (74%) Q, 169 (96%), 4.0 AW

Relevant Courses: Calculus I - V, Linear Algebra I - II,  Probability & Statistics, Programming Courses in C and Numerical Methods ( Mathlab )

Other things:

- I've completed edX Data Science Certificate via ColumbiaX . Programming Course in Python by MITx. Data base courses in SQL by Standford Online.

- I have 3 years of work experience in Nuclear Industry working in Nuclear Safety as a Probabilistic Safety Assessment Analyst. Got some experience with DBases.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far I have only heard from NYU Tandon, got a rejection but was offered the chance to apply to their Computer Engineering Program which I kindly declined. Did not hear from NYU GSAS, I hope I am at least wait-listed there. Anxiety is strong now, I wish Columbia gives me some good news soon D:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, businessanalyticsgirl said:

Really, did you get a response? Via email? I haven't heard anything. 

I didn't (which im kinda worried about), but if you search in the results database for "brown data science" you can see two acceptances for fall 2018 that came out today.

Do we know for sure that admissions for this program are rolling, or do you think all the acceptances have been sent out, and those of us still waiting have been rejected?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, abnormalcluster said:

I didn't (which im kinda worried about), but if you search in the results database for "brown data science" you can see two acceptances for fall 2018 that came out today.

Do we know for sure that admissions for this program are rolling, or do you think all the acceptances have been sent out, and those of us still waiting have been rejected?

Honestly I'm super skeptical about the ones that were posted on the results page. They do say its rolling, so I wouldn't be worried. Is that a first choice for you?

Do you know how many students they'll enroll? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, businessanalyticsgirl said:

Honestly I'm super skeptical about the ones that were posted on the results page. They do say its rolling, so I wouldn't be worried. Is that a first choice for you?

Do you know how many students they'll enroll? 

Really? What makes you skeptical?

Brown is definitely my top choice, even though on paper, some of the other schools I am waiting on are better. Where else are you applying? I'm still waiting on Penn, Cornell, and Northwestern.

I believe the class size for the Data science intiative is fairly small, on the order of around 40 people. Plus we're competing with sub-matriculating undergraduates at Brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, abnormalcluster said:

Really? What makes you skeptical?

Brown is definitely my top choice, even though on paper, some of the other schools I am waiting on are better. Where else are you applying? I'm still waiting on Penn, Cornell, and Northwestern.

I believe the class size for the Data science intiative is fairly small, on the order of around 40 people. Plus we're competing with sub-matriculating undergraduates at Brown.

I have an offer from UVA Data science, Duke MQM: Business Analytics (which ill turn down), and im waiting on UT Austin, Northwestern Analytics, Brown DS, and Columbia Business Analytics (brand new program in the IEOR Department). Northwestern is my #1 followed by columbia, both of which i had an interview for. so just an anxious mess now. 

I haven't even considered the undergraduates lol. 

I don't know, the results page in general makes me skeptical because you can throw anything out there that you want. lol. Im sure since theres more than one person posting about it that people have received decisions. Just not us yet, apparently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't get a decision from Brown either, but I'm not too worried with the rolling admissions and all. I'd actually love to hear where all you're top choices are. My top-tier choices are NYU, Columbia, and Duke although I've been incredibility indecisive and feel as though my preferences change every day.

That said, I've been hearing more and more about programs that are "cash cows" that should be avoided. Honestly I'm not totally sure I understand the concept and what would classify a program as a cash cow (ie. the research experience, the length, the challenging coursework?). You guys have any thoughts here? I would hate to invest so much in something that doesn't actually give much value at the end of the day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.