First year grad student who is also working if you have questions!

Are you superhuman? 

Lol just kidding, but major props to you! I work a few weeks a semester (during the bookstore’s busy season) and I can’t imagine balancing that and school and clinic. 

I've worked my entire college career and it seriously makes me wonder when all current grad students say they don't work. I'll be starting grad school this fall, and i dont know if i should give it a shot and find a job... Is it really that difficult to handle? What kind of job do you have and how many hours do you typically work? I'm just thinking that I have a car payment to make lol

I think it depends on the grad program.  My program does not have any 'free' time between 8-6pm -some days I'm done by 3:30 but professors are able to schedule meeting anytime between 8-6pm and your not allowed to say you can't because of work.  Also my program doesn't give the clinic schedule out until a week before classes start.  Jobs on the weekends are fine.  

12 hours ago, andreadls22 said:

I've worked my entire college career and it seriously makes me wonder when all current grad students say they don't work. I'll be starting grad school this fall, and i dont know if i should give it a shot and find a job... Is it really that difficult to handle? What kind of job do you have and how many hours do you typically work? I'm just thinking that I have a car payment to make lol

I am in the same boat as you! I have been working since I was 15 and I am having a very difficult time imagining not working during grad school while living completely off student loans (yikes).  Josilyn from our Pacific U campus tour did tell me that some of the first grad students bartend or babysit for about 10-15 hours a week.  Plus, at Pacific the first semester is set up that we will have classes Monday-Wednesday, then most Thursdays and Fridays we will have off to study with the exception of a few clinical observations here and there!

8 hours ago, aelwood14 said:

I am in the same boat as you! I have been working since I was 15 and I am having a very difficult time imagining not working during grad school while living completely off student loans (yikes).  Josilyn from our Pacific U campus tour did tell me that some of the first grad students bartend or babysit for about 10-15 hours a week.  Plus, at Pacific the first semester is set up that we will have classes Monday-Wednesday, then most Thursdays and Fridays we will have off to study with the exception of a few clinical observations here and there!

Yeah exactly! The loans terrify me. Doing the math including tuition and living expenses for two years I’m looking at about 100K and I can’t imagine not working to atleast make a dent in that ? but yes considering we know the schedule for the first semester I think it might be manageable to work, at least on weekends! 

16 hours ago, andreadls22 said:

Yeah exactly! The loans terrify me. Doing the math including tuition and living expenses for two years I’m looking at about 100K and I can’t imagine not working to atleast make a dent in that ? but yes considering we know the schedule for the first semester I think it might be manageable to work, at least on weekends! 

The student loan amount absolutely terrifies me! But, I keep telling myself that it will be okay and I have been researching loan forgiveness for SLPs and that does seem to ease my nerves a little!