This is my first year applying for SLP grad programs. I have heard back from one school (rejected) and haven’t heard back from anyone else. I keep seeing in the thread of decisions for this year that people are getting accepted to programs I applied to. But I haven’t heard anything from the rest of my programs. So I’m assuming I’m waitlisted/rejected. I’m starting to lose hope. I applied to 5 programs and spent all my money during the process (GRE, transcripts,fees). I’m worried I’ll either get waitlisted and not get a spot or just get rejected everywhere. How do you handle seeing others get accepted to your programs when you haven’t heard anything. Just feeling discouraged and don’t want to disappoint anyone close to me if I don’t get into a program.

I've seen people get into programs that I have applied to, but I try not to worry because I know some schools do rolling admissions and some do waves. Acceptances are sent out even after April so try not to stress too much..even though I know that's basically impossible.

Hang in there, the entire process is completely nerve-racking, not to mention extremely expensive. I kept telling myself, "No news is still good news." I wouldn't give up hope just yet! Most schools typically notify applicants by mid-March. And I do not think you will be disappointing anyone that you are close to if you aren't accepted into a program. It took me 5 years of building experience, retaking courses, and two application rounds before I was accepted.  When I was rejected from all of the schools I applied to during my first application, I choose to take it as a learning experience and figure out how I can make my application stronger. But, with that being said, it's still early so I wouldn't lose hope!

19 minutes ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

This is my first year applying for SLP grad programs. I have heard back from one school (rejected) and haven’t heard back from anyone else. I keep seeing in the thread of decisions for this year that people are getting accepted to programs I applied to. But I haven’t heard anything from the rest of my programs. So I’m assuming I’m waitlisted/rejected. I’m starting to lose hope. I applied to 5 programs and spent all my money during the process (GRE, transcripts,fees). I’m worried I’ll either get waitlisted and not get a spot or just get rejected everywhere. How do you handle seeing others get accepted to your programs when you haven’t heard anything. Just feeling discouraged and don’t want to disappoint anyone close to me if I don’t get into a program.

First of all, WAITING SUCKS. It totally sucks and is filled with a lot of anxiety, self doubt, etc etc. However, I would say don't worry because many schools will offer acceptance to those they are giving funding first or will do it in waves to see how many people don't accept the spot. Don't worry about disappointing people either. At the end of the day it is about you and this process is incredibly hard. Most people do not understand just how hard it actually is to get into this field. 

19 minutes ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

If it helps at all I feel the same way. I have spent the last four years of my life in sacrifice mode. I never went to concerts because I was studying. I only saw my friends during school breaks. I put my relationship second to academia....all for what? My first letter was a rejection to a school I didn’t even really want to go to...and I was devastated. This hearing back period takes a toll on your mind and body. I have no advice other than this is the time to fall in love with as many things as you can. You learn to paint. Go try a new language. Go hike with your buddies. Go be something other than a student. 

I've just been waitlisted to my top choice...I am pretty heartbroken and I am not sure how I will make it to April to find out the final decision. But I will say that you are not a disappointment to anyone! Even getting to this point in your academic career is a huge accomplishment! Good luck to you! 

Thank you for the kind responses. Waiting for decisions like this is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. Especially since the waitlist process gets dragged on for so long. It doesn’t help that all this is happening during my spring break haha not the ideal spring break for senior year. 

3 hours ago, aelwood14 said:

Hang in there, the entire process is completely nerve-racking, not to mention extremely expensive. I kept telling myself, "No news is still good news." I wouldn't give up hope just yet! Most schools typically notify applicants by mid-March. And I do not think you will be disappointing anyone that you are close to if you aren't accepted into a program. It took me 5 years of building experience, retaking courses, and two application rounds before I was accepted.  When I was rejected from all of the schools I applied to during my first application, I choose to take it as a learning experience and figure out how I can make my application stronger. But, with that being said, it's still early so I wouldn't lose hope!

Aelwood14, what courses were you able to retake? I've seen a number of people post that they were recommended to retake courses that weren't A's, but as far as I was told previously I could only retake courses below C-?

soontobeslp2018, I can relate to your anxiety. I have only received rejections so far, and I was only offered 1 interview (although many of the schools I applied to didn't conduct interviews). I thought I gave myself enough options, but had to cut my choices in half because I couldn't afford to send more applications in January. I just received an email from PSU telling us what applications they're reviewing, and it looks like CSDCAS didn't process my materials in time to be considered even though I submitted them long before those dates. As a post-bacc that is almost finished with a second degree, I'm not sure how much more experience I can acquire to boost my application for next year if I don't get in now. I'm afraid I won't be able to get adequate letters of rec next year since I won't be currently enrolled. It's just frustrating.

Sorry if this wasn't super helpful. Apparently I'm having a difficult time with this waiting game too. 

34 minutes ago, mirrorcat43 said:

Aelwood14, what courses were you able to retake? I've seen a number of people post that they were recommended to retake courses that weren't A's, but as far as I was told previously I could only retake courses below C-?

soontobeslp2018, I can relate to your anxiety. I have only received rejections so far, and I was only offered 1 interview (although many of the schools I applied to didn't conduct interviews). I thought I gave myself enough options, but had to cut my choices in half because I couldn't afford to send more applications in January. I just received an email from PSU telling us what applications they're reviewing, and it looks like CSDCAS didn't process my materials in time to be considered even though I submitted them long before those dates. As a post-bacc that is almost finished with a second degree, I'm not sure how much more experience I can acquire to boost my application for next year if I don't get in now. I'm afraid I won't be able to get adequate letters of rec next year since I won't be currently enrolled. It's just frustrating.

Sorry if this wasn't super helpful. Apparently I'm having a difficult time with this waiting game too. 

I think it honestly depends on where you retake them. I retook even classes at I had B’s in 

3 hours ago, mirrorcat43 said:

Hello. So the university I took my post-bacc classes with told me I couldn't retake any classes to boost my grad. However, I retook a class through a different university (online) to boost my grade and they told me that it was fine. It doesn't replace the grade bc the grade still counts towards your total gpa but it looks better on your transcripts... i guess.  Hope this helps. I'm in the same boat trying to improve my application each year.

7 hours ago, aelwood14 said:

Hello. What kind of experience were you building? I am in the process of doing all of that. I have retaken classes, taken more classes, and I am currently working as a SLP assistant in a public school.  I have just received my first rejection letter of this application round and it's pretty discouraging. Any suggestions how you built your application up?

15 minutes ago, Ggslpa said:

Hello. So the university I took my post-bacc classes with told me I couldn't retake any classes to boost my grad. However, I retook a class through a different university (online) to boost my grade and they told me that it was fine. It doesn't replace the grade bc the grade still counts towards your total gpa but it looks better on your transcripts... i guess.  Hope this helps. I'm in the same boat trying to improve my application each year.

Oh ok, that makes sense. That makes me feel better, I was under the impression before that nothing could be done. At least it sounds like they take effort at improvement into account?

13 minutes ago, Ggslpa said:

Hello. What kind of experience were you building? I am in the process of doing all of that. I have retaken classes, taken more classes, and I am currently working as a SLP assistant in a public school.  I have just received my first rejection letter of this application round and it's pretty discouraging. Any suggestions how you built your application up?

I worked an SLP-A for 5 years while I went back to school to retake some classes. I found out after I graduated the my undergrad that I had an undiagnosed learning disability. So I needed to make up for my lower GPA and work to bring up my grades! But do not ever give up! I can't tell you how many times I almost did. And finally getting an acceptance made it all worth it! You can do it!

4 minutes ago, mirrorcat43 said:

Oh ok, that makes sense. That makes me feel better, I was under the impression before that nothing could be done. At least it sounds like they take effort at improvement into account?

I hope so!!!! That's the sad little boat I am in right now. Figuring out what to do....retake a class, take a graduate level course (I have been told that some schools let you take up to 2) to show I can get A's, retake the GRE......It's stressful and there are no guarantees. Plus, I am only applying to distance learning programs...so I've kinda limited myself.

4 minutes ago, aelwood14 said:

I worked an SLP-A for 5 years while I went back to school to retake some classes. I found out after I graduated the my undergrad that I had an undiagnosed learning disability. So I needed to make up for my lower GPA and work to bring up my grades! But do not ever give up! I can't tell you how many times I almost did. And finally getting an acceptance made it all worth it! You can do it!

Thanks! Do you mind telling me what program you were accepted in to? I'm not ready to give up but it really sucks when ppl not in our field are curious about why I am not getting accepted.

11 minutes ago, Ggslpa said:

Thanks! Do you mind telling me what program you were accepted in to? I'm not ready to give up but it really sucks when ppl not in our field are curious about why I am not getting accepted.

I was accepted to Pacific University in Forest Grove, OR (right outside of Portland). I was told they really value applicants that are persistent and have over come adversities, which is was drew me to applying there.  And I literally found out about 20 mins ago that I was put on the wait-list at Idaho State! 

I was accepted to Pacific University in Forest Grove, OR (right outside of Portland). I was told they really value applicants that are persistent and have over come adversities, which is was drew me to applying there.  And I literally found out about 20 mins ago that I was put on the wait-list at Idaho State! 

That's awesome!! Congratulations!

Side note....I was told I was #1 on a waitlist last year. I was super excited but everyone accepted, however, it really encouraged me to keep applying.  I think I may have a harder time because I am only applying to distance learning programs which limits me. Every year I find a new one tho. 

Again, congratulations!

13 minutes ago, Ggslpa said:

That's awesome!! Congratulations!

Side note....I was told I was #1 on a waitlist last year. I was super excited but everyone accepted, however, it really encouraged me to keep applying.  I think I may have a harder time because I am only applying to distance learning programs which limits me. Every year I find a new one tho. 

Again, congratulations!

Thank you! Idaho State does an online program! 

Thank you! Idaho State does an online program! 

I applied there last year. I don't remember why I didn't re apply this year.

18 hours ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

Please know that you are not alone! I've had one rejection and one waitlist. I think this forum can be a blessing and a curse. Great to have the support of so many others going through the same thing, but sucks comparing yourself to others who have gotten in schools you haven't. I suggest politely reaching out to schools that you haven't heard from yet to inquire what time frame you might expect to hear from them. That might ease some of your anxiety. I believe that, if I don't get in anywhere, that maybe it wasn't meant to be. You will be alright no matter what the outcome! Hang in there -- (and maybe spend less time on here ;) )