Fletcher Fall 2018

Has anyone been in touch with their office regarding decision day? Not expecting positive news (my biggest reach, and I didn't get that personalized email in February) but I'm anxious for it. Seems like it was March 10 last year so I'm hoping for Friday this year, can anyone confirm?

Hey, same here, it's my reach school as well. They actually just updated their admissions blog today saying that they will have decisions before March 20th.  Definitely running behind schedule this year.  It has been around the 10th for the last 3 years that they sent decisions.  So I would say probably not this week, maybe next week?  At this point I'm probably going to accept another offer if they aren't out in the next week.  Good luck to you.

On 3/7/2018 at 7:08 PM, pickledcarrots said:

Has anyone been in touch with their office regarding decision day? Not expecting positive news (my biggest reach, and I didn't get that personalized email in February) but I'm anxious for it. Seems like it was March 10 last year so I'm hoping for Friday this year, can anyone confirm?

hi, which personalised email are you talking about ? thanks

Hi! I wish I could tell you more specifically what it said, but I didn't receive one. :P If you look at this thread, you'll see some applicants received personalized emails in February regarding their applications. There's no clear indication that this means admission (or that not receiving one means rejection; it's possible that they send the emails to only a subset of high priority accepted applicants), so interpret that however you will. 

12 hours ago, pickledcarrots said:

Hi! I wish I could tell you more specifically what it said, but I didn't receive one. :P If you look at this thread, you'll see some applicants received personalized emails in February regarding their applications. There's no clear indication that this means admission (or that not receiving one means rejection; it's possible that they send the emails to only a subset of high priority accepted applicants), so interpret that however you will. 

ok I see thanks

I received it too and they said RIGHT AFTER that it is a mistake so no worries

so insignificant that I even forgot it

Edited by mpa-applicant

Yes, that was just a misnamed newsletter. Separate from and prior to that though, there were the individualized emails from adcom thanking applicants mentioning specific points of their application ("we enjoyed reading about your xyz"). That's the one I never received, but hey, maybe it's not the kiss of death! 

15 minutes ago, pickledcarrots said:

DECISIONS UP, not emailed yet! In with some funding, so excited. Future people looking at this thread, don't worry if you didn't get the application update email.

THANK YOU FOR INFORMING!! Also in!!

ACCPETED!!! YAY!!

40 minutes ago, DHK said:

Got in too! Funding is a bit disappointing.

I know I wasn't that competitive but was everyone's funding pocket change? I'm seeing a lot of that. Plus they added the two years together to make it seem like more than it actually is.

10 minutes ago, BNichole said:

@ayasofaya I got 20k, 10k for each year. Which is basically pennies.. even w/ fellowship money its not enough smh. I know my gre scores weren't magnificent but I don't know.. seems a bit insulting lol.

Well they knew you had the Rangel fellowship before you even applied though. That's what's interesting. I don't know what their policies are in particular, but the email I got from SAIS said they reserve the right to "adjust" my scholarship if I ended up getting substantial external funding.

I doubt they would reduce it so far that you wouldn't be able to completely cover expenses though. Especially because the fellowship financials are so transparent. That doesn't add up to me.

@ayasofaya Yep my SAIS email said the same thing, but broke down what they offered including outside funding so it won't be adjusted, thankfully. A lof of the other fellows got low offers from Fletcher too, its weird.

How's Pickering going btw? What waiting stage are you in? 

16 minutes ago, BNichole said:

@ayasofaya Yep my SAIS email said the same thing, but broke down what they offered including outside funding so it won't be adjusted, thankfully. A lof of the other fellows got low offers from Fletcher too, its weird.

How's Pickering going btw? What waiting stage are you in? 

I think they send out interview invitations at the end of the month. I will say that my Pickering essays were much stronger than my Rangels, if only because after writing so many grad applications I learned how to....say things.

I was planning on using my grad school decisions as an indication of competitiveness and perception, but as you can see from my signature, that's not proving to be a very helpful strategy haha. Literally anything can happen!

1 hour ago, ayasofaya said:

ACCPETED!!! YAY!!

I know I wasn't that competitive but was everyone's funding pocket change? I'm seeing a lot of that. Plus they added the two years together to make it seem like more than it actually is.

Haha true. Any clue if there is any room for negotiating/appealing for more funding?

1 hour ago, BNichole said:

@ayasofaya What do you mean? SAIS and Fletcher are great programs and you've been accepted! I hope you hear good things from Pickering and Fulbright! 

I was just saying because I got half acceptances and half rejections. They came in alternating order too so the past few days have been a rollercoaster of emotions haha. I'm trying to stay optimistic enough without straying too far off the ground!

Hi all, I got accepted with 38k in funding for 2 years. Not enough but better than the money offered from other schools :P I'm not sure if I will be accepting, although everyone I've been in touch with from Fletcher have been super nice as compared to other schools. I feel that NYC has better opportunities in terms of career especially for an international student like me. Being able to take classes at Harvard in a plus but do you all know how common that is?

Additionally, has anyone figured out how to negotiate for more funding?