Where Top-Tier PhD Students Got Their BA/MA

TheHessianHistorian

On 5/2/2018 at 8:44 AM, heliogabalus said:

Psstein, I'm not sure that's exactly the case. In at least one other discipline (classics), Yale seems to take many of their own students. It's strange because you don't see that happening so much at Harvard or Princeton. But at Yale it seems like a pattern.

They do in ANE as well, but that's also related to how few ANE programs exist across the US. Chicago, Hopkins, Yale, Harvard, Penn, Brown, and maybe Indiana are the only programs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 11:02 AM, lkjpoi said:

It's not simply that the school = intelligence, but also professionalism. Ivy league students get groomed for academia from a young age, learning from the leading scholars in the field. That experience goes a long way in helping them develop the personal connections, social manners, and the professional skills to write research papers and statements of purpose which fit the academy's requirements. 

Yeah, most 'elite' universities in the US discourage their students from applying to their programs because there's a slight bias against job candidates who've never moved between schools and experienced different departmental dynamics. This is by no means a hard and fast rule, but I've heard about this prejudice from different people at different schools.

On 5/12/2018 at 2:09 PM, L13 said:

Yeah, most 'elite' universities in the US discourage their students from applying to their programs because there's a slight bias against job candidates who've never moved between schools and experienced different departmental dynamics. This is by no means a hard and fast rule, but I've heard about this prejudice from different people at different schools.

Having seen this "rule" in action, I am 99% sure it is actually a way to nicely tell a student that they don't want to work with them.

44 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

Having seen this "rule" in action, I am 99% sure it is actually a way to nicely tell a student that they don't want to work with them.

It depends. My undergrad advisor (admittedly at a R2) told me "we won't accept you if you apply; there's nobody else (faculty) who'd be able to serve on your committee." His advice focused very much upon building a committee and positioning oneself for the future, which is part of why I came to UW, although my interests changed quite a bit. He knew my undergrad didn't have the resources I needed and would need. I saw him at AHA actually.

In a place that does have the resources, it's a polite "f off."