My coworker, her mom, and three of her moms friends - all advanced standing - received decisions last Sunday. I applied to the 3 year program and nothing yet. :wacko:

Edited by lonepinecone

Waiting as well -- I applied for the 2 year in-Portland option. The website says " we plan to start notifying applicants of decisions in late March or April" in the FAQs, and just "March or April" on the admissions page (clearly the stress has gotten to me because I've basically memorized both of those pages, haha). Last year it looks like people started finding out around this time, but who knows if that will be the same this year.

I remember in a different topic you saying the people you know who applied Advanced Standing had already heard back, @lonepinecone. Do you or anyone else know if Advanced Standing is considered its own separate entity? Their application process is different than the general one, with different due dates, and when I went to the info session back in the summer it seemed like they were slightly separate from one another. Just holding out hope that they receive notifications differently as well. :/

35 minutes ago, mintypins said:

Do you or anyone else know if Advanced Standing is considered its own separate entity? Their application process is different than the general one, with different due dates, and when I went to the info session back in the summer it seemed like they were slightly separate from one another. Just holding out hope that they receive notifications differently as well. :/

It seems like advanced standing might have had different deadlines. I haven't heard of anyone from other program options hearing back now. I keep thinking about last years notification times as well but every year seems different based on lurking these threads. 

Let's distract ourselves: what did you guys @mintypins @Kgroves study for undergrad? where do you work currently if you're in the field (organization, population, type of work)? what concentration/emphasis do you plan on doing if you're admitted to PSU? 

I'm losing my mind checking my email and refreshing the admissions page and lurking these forums.

Edited by lonepinecone

Good idea, @lonepinecone (: I am also losing my mind and driving my partner crazy also.

I studied Psychology & Sociology and I've worked at a nonprofit community clinic (uninsured/underinsured populations in TX -- PCMH) and a domestic violence agency over the past 2+ years, but in service-adjacent roles at those orgs (still working directly with people, but employees rather than clients). And I volunteer at a DV shelter currently and I do direct service there. I'm just hoping I have enough direct-service experience; I think that's the one area I'm most nervous about.

I'm hoping to do a clinical concentration and I'm really interested in working with people around trauma. But my main goal is to do therapy work.

How about you?

Edited by mintypins

I have a BA in sociology with a concentration in family studies and a minor in "Law, politics, & society" (interdisciplinary). I have worked in a few group homes for adjudicated youth (all male) -- gang & drug offenders, sex offenders. I worked as a milieu counselor in a residential treatment center for kids with severe behavioral problems and was in a CSEC all-girls unit for teens. Then I worked in a community based supportive housing program for adults with severe & persistent mental illness and volunteered at the DV crisis line at the same time. I have been working in Affordable Housing for the past two years as a Resident Services Coordinator and work at an SRO for formerly homeless women. I went through Community Health Worker training and certification last year and plan to do the Health Across the Lifespan concentration to do health promotion :) I burned myself out on trauma work although I still deal with it in a less direct way. I love working with women!

I make pretty good money in my current position which is why I want to do the 3 year program. (Also we are hiring right now if you are in Portland...........)

Edited by lonepinecone

Nice! Sounds like you have tons of experience. :) Health promotion is a great field! We had a few social workers doing health promotion along with our FNPs, etc. at the clinic where I used to work. It makes a big difference.

@lonepinecone @Kgroves - Will y'all update this topic if you receive word of decisions today? I know there are some rumors of decisions being issued today so I'm definitely on tenterhooks. If I don't receive anything it'll be helpful to know if they've gone out. I will update as well! :) Best of luck to you both!! I hope we all get in and that we hear back today.

2 hours ago, mintypins said:

Saaame. I decided that if that happens, I'm going to assume I'm waitlisted or rejected just so I can move on with my life and start thinking about next year.

Hey, I will update if I hear anything. Applyweb hasn't shown me any updates, but I'm hoping the best for everyone. If no one gets anything by tonight, then I will assume letters start coming out next Friday? I have friends over in the MSW program, so maybe I'll dig a little more into this if we don't get anything today. :) 

It'll be another week of anxiety with the constant refreshing of my gmail account if no one else gets any notifications. :P

1 hour ago, Kgroves said:

I wonder where the rumors were coming from!

Sorry! I heard from a friend in the MSW program that acceptance letters were possibly coming today, but she said she heard from a professor that they almost always arrive on a Friday afternoon in mid-late March and that denial/waitlist letters come in April for the majority of the time. I go to PSU actually already attending a graduate program. but applied for the MSW. 

She said she was initially waitlisted in April, but received a call in the summer asking if she was still interested in attending the program for the 3-year option. She said she hates the way that they do admission since they can basically call you anytime before PSU's term starts (which is in late September). She claimed she knew someone who was accepted in September!!! I can't imagine the frustration and stress with setting up FASFA and everything, but luckily she said the candidate was local.