18 minutes ago, Kgroves said:

Anything yet @anthurium, @mintypins, @lonepinecone

????

I haven't heard anything yet. :( I am starting to worry more and more, but I suppose we will all have to wait until next Friday if none of us get any updates today. 

I am just hoping none of us got wait listed. That story about that person getting accepted until September just really frightens me. What options did all of you apply for? I applied for the 4-year program since I work full-time and volunteer in my spare time. 

@lonepinecone

Happy birthday! I am sure everything will be fine. Did you apply to any other programs? I considered George Fox, but the price of tuition didn't really justify spending a lot on a program that's not very established with very little options for coursework and internships. 

As long as none of us have heard, its good news.

Waitlists are brutal. I agree with @mintypins and will just move on with plans at that point. I didn't apply anywhere else because I have a great job in the field here. I can't see myself going to George Fox and I've heard pretty mixed things about the counseling program at Lewis & Clark. And obviously, debt sounds awful considering what we earn in the social services field. 

@anthurium @Kgroves Thanks guys! Its next Saturday and I'm headed up to Vancouver, BC for a MUCH NEEDED vacation!

13 minutes ago, lonepinecone said:

As long as none of us have heard, its good news.

Waitlists are brutal. I agree with @mintypins and will just move on with plans at that point. I didn't apply anywhere else because I have a great job in the field here. I can't see myself going to George Fox and I've heard pretty mixed things about the counseling program at Lewis & Clark. And obviously, debt sounds awful considering what we earn in the social services field. 

@anthurium @Kgroves Thanks guys! Its next Saturday and I'm headed up to Vancouver, BC for a MUCH NEEDED vacation!

Yes, I agree! I am glad I found this forum; it's definitely helped decreased some of the anxiety. Where do you work if you don't mind me asking? It's hard to find jobs that pay above $15 hourly around here at least with my experience since all my work has been with developmentally disabled and older adults. I was hoping to work as a social services coordinator in a long-term care facility, but Avamere greatly reduced their staff and new hires, so I'd have to wait until a position opens but it's a slim chance due to their budget cuts. 

The debt is pretty awful, but I heard a lot of non-profit agencies and the VA might pay for supervision for licensure and your loans, but getting into those positions are competitive from what I gather. I am hoping to do the clinical track if I am admitted into the program. 

I haven't heard anything yet either. Soo, still no news! Keeping hope alive, haha. Happy early birthday, @lonepinecone!! 

I can't imagine being taken off the waitlist in September! Good lord. I only applied to PSU this year but I think I might apply to some other programs for next year if this year is a wash. I know someone who is doing a counseling program at George Fox but the programs there didn't look too appealing to me either.

I'm hoping to do the clinical track as well, @anthurium. And if you get the CWSE certification you can at least practice and earn something of a salary while you're pursuing licensing. Luckily I've known and worked with a few people going through that and it hasn't scared me off yet, and they're all practicing as therapists, which is really all I care about. And theoretically there is still student loan forgiveness, if you're working at a nonprofit or a place providing healthcare.

I've also been working full-time and then volunteering on the side just because I haven't found anything direct-service that pays enough to cover my bills (and my already large student loan payments.. <_<). I feel really nervous about that, though -- it sounds like they place so much value on experience and I'm just fretting about whether it will be enough.

What did y'all think of the personal statement portion?

3 hours ago, mintypins said:

I haven't heard anything yet either. Soo, still no news! Keeping hope alive, haha. Happy early birthday, @lonepinecone!! 

I can't imagine being taken off the waitlist in September! Good lord. I only applied to PSU this year but I think I might apply to some other programs for next year if this year is a wash. I know someone who is doing a counseling program at George Fox but the programs there didn't look too appealing to me either.

I'm hoping to do the clinical track as well, @anthurium. And if you get the CWSE certification you can at least practice and earn something of a salary while you're pursuing licensing. Luckily I've known and worked with a few people going through that and it hasn't scared me off yet, and they're all practicing as therapists, which is really all I care about. And theoretically there is still student loan forgiveness, if you're working at a nonprofit or a place providing healthcare.

I've also been working full-time and then volunteering on the side just because I haven't found anything direct-service that pays enough to cover my bills (and my already large student loan payments.. <_<). I feel really nervous about that, though -- it sounds like they place so much value on experience and I'm just fretting about whether it will be enough.

What did y'all think of the personal statement portion?

I was told by a professor who sits on the admission committee that if the personal statement does not include the words "oppression" or "social justice" then it is very unlikely that they will accept you...I made sure to heavily emphasize and incorporate ageism into my personal statement since I'd like to work with older adults in the future as a clinical social worker. It was harder to incorporate all my experiences, especially in the last section! 

I had mine edited by a Gerontology professor who works closely with the social work professors. She claimed that they heavily focus on social justice in their coursework and that one would have to possess strong knowledge of it if they were admitted into the program. My professor also told me that they weigh work experience heavily and that your grades wouldn't matter so much in their decision making. Grades would only matter if you came close. 

Apparently, a friend told me that they score you numerically on your application. If you score 17/20, then you would be admitted immediately. Anything 15-16 is waitlist material supposedly. This friend told me back in the fall, so I am not sure whether they are utilizing the same system again for our applications. However, I did attend the information sessions and I remember a lady mentioning that she does score applications numerically, so it probably is true? :P 

No updates on my end...I guess we will have to wait until next Friday. :( 

I just saw on the results page that someone received their acceptance to the 2 year program. No word for me yet -- not looking great. :/ Ah well. Next year!

50 minutes ago, Kgroves said:

@mintypins which results page?

On the main Thegradecafe results page. Search for “portland.” Looks like one rejection and one acceptance for the two year program from today.

maybe they are admitting:

advanced standing>two year>three year>four year

48 minutes ago, lonepinecone said:

Ahhhh I see the two results!!! Ahh!!!! @mintypins

I just saw this!!! I am wondering if they will send letters for the 3-year and 4-year options in the next week or so... I am curious since my applyweb hasn't updated with a decision letter yet. 

I will definitely update you to see if I get anything, but I would think they would have updated my application status if I were to be accepted, denied, or waitlisted today? I applied for the 4-year option, so I might get the later notification in April. 

16 hours ago, lonepinecone said:

Just received my acceptance to the 3 year program! 

@anthurium  hope you hear soonn!!!!

Congratulations! :)

I am hoping they begin to release decision letters for the 4 year program, but I'll probably hear back by next week judging on the patterns I am seeing on the Results page.