Question about CCC's (certificate of clinical competence)

Hello!

This does not have much to do about apps and results, more so just a general question I hope someone is able to answer! I am planning on interviewing at a program next week and a friend of mine who interviewed there last year told me that at the conclusion of your program you do not receive your CCC's (Certificate of Clinical Competence), basically it's ASHA's way of certifying you and not just the state you're in? I'm confused because I thought everyone receives their Certificate of Clinical Competence and never knew that some programs do not guarantee you that. 

My question is: Is this true? Because if so I wouldn't really consider the program but I also don't want to sound like an idiot if I ask them this same question. Google and ASHA have been no help and I can't find anything on the school's website. I always assumed that if you passed the Praxis and passed your program you were a certified ASHA SLP (lol shows how much I know). But my friend who is in a graduate program now said you need a little more than that. 

Thank you in advance!

I thought everyone had to take an additional examination in addition to finishing the master's degree in order to receive their CCC's. I think as long as the program is certified by ASHA (even within developing status) it should be fine. Although I would like to confirm this as well!

It is my understanding that in order to receive their CCC's, one must complete a master's program in SLP, complete their CF (Clinical Fellowship) within 2 years of earning their degree, ensuring that they have earned a total of 400 clinical clock hours under the supervision of a licensed SLP, and earn a passing score on the Praxis exam.  The process of applying for state certification varies by state.

There is a lot of detailed information about certification on the ASHA website: https://www.asha.org/Certification/2014-Speech-Language-Pathology-Certification-Standards/

Hope this helps! :)

12 hours ago, hopefulslp1 said:

Hello!

This does not have much to do about apps and results, more so just a general question I hope someone is able to answer! I am planning on interviewing at a program next week and a friend of mine who interviewed there last year told me that at the conclusion of your program you do not receive your CCC's (Certificate of Clinical Competence), basically it's ASHA's way of certifying you and not just the state you're in? I'm confused because I thought everyone receives their Certificate of Clinical Competence and never knew that some programs do not guarantee you that. 

My question is: Is this true? Because if so I wouldn't really consider the program but I also don't want to sound like an idiot if I ask them this same question. Google and ASHA have been no help and I can't find anything on the school's website. I always assumed that if you passed the Praxis and passed your program you were a certified ASHA SLP (lol shows how much I know). But my friend who is in a graduate program now said you need a little more than that. 

Thank you in advance!

You can look on ASHA's website and find the school.  If they are there they should have information on their status (accredited, pending, candidate)- if you graduate from any of those graduate programs you are fine and will earn your C's after passing praxis (and filing the appropriate paperwork).  If you can't find any school info on the ASHA website that likely means they are not accredited (or trying to be) and you will not earn your C's.  Try googling "School name + ASHA" and it should direct you to the school's page on the ASHA website.  Or you can google "SLP ASHA schools" and it should give you a list of all the accredited schools (broken down by state). 

12 hours ago, hopefulslp1 said:

Hello!

Thank you in advance!

Also, if you'd like to share the school's name I'm happy to find their info for you and provide you the link if you're having trouble finding it! 

12 hours ago, Rowboat47 said:

It is my understanding that in order to receive their CCC's, one must complete a master's program in SLP, complete their CF (Clinical Fellowship) within 2 years of earning their degree, ensuring that they have earned a total of 400 clinical clock hours under the supervision of a licensed SLP, and earn a passing score on the Praxis exam.  The process of applying for state certification varies by state.

There is a lot of detailed information about certification on the ASHA website: https://www.asha.org/Certification/2014-Speech-Language-Pathology-Certification-Standards/

Hope this helps! :)

I agree with Rowboat47.

It was my understanding that you obtain your CCCs during your clinical fellowship (CF). I am currently working as an SLP-A in a school district (this is my fifth year) and when my supervisor was hired on 4 years ago, it was during her CF. She had to be supervised by another SLP from our district that already had her CCCs. From what I remember correctly, after so many hours of observation throughout the year and lots of paperwork later she eventually obtained her CCCs. I can ask her when I meet with her this week if that helps. 

You also do not have to have your CCCs, however, it is highly recommended. Another SLP in our district started over 50 years and does not have them because they weren't a "thing" when she first started. Also, to maintain your CCCs you do have the pay ASHA each year (I think my supervisor said it was like $250 a year), as well as, paying your state licensure fee each year. 

I hope this helps!

Edited by aelwood14

6 minutes ago, aelwood14 said:

I agree with Rowboat47.

It was my understanding that you obtain your CCCs during your clinical fellowship (CF). I am currently working as an SLP-A in a school district (this is my fifth year) and when my supervisor was hired on 4 years ago, it was during her CF. She had to be supervised by another SLP from our district that already had her CCCs. From what I remember correctly, after so many hours of observation throughout the year and lots of paperwork later she eventually obtained her CCCs. I can ask her when I meet with her this week if that helps. 

This is true, but one thing I'd like to highlight in the link that rowboat provided

All graduate course work and graduate clinical experience required in speech-language pathology must have been initiated and completed in a speech-language pathology program accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA)

So the hours earned will not matter if you do not receive your degree from a school that is either accredited, or in the process of being accredited by ASHA. 

4 minutes ago, WesttoEast18 said:

This is true, but one thing I'd like to highlight in the link that rowboat provided

All graduate course work and graduate clinical experience required in speech-language pathology must have been initiated and completed in a speech-language pathology program accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA)

So the hours earned will not matter if you do not receive your degree from a school that is either accredited, or in the process of being accredited by ASHA. 

I agree, which is why I said that I agree with what rowboat47 said.

I apologize I should have clarified that I was more so talking about during the CF year AFTER the degree is completed. I figured it was assumed because one can't complete a CF without having the degree completed first. Which should all be verified by human resources before someone is hired on to complete their CF.

CF here. You receive your CCCs after completing your cfy (9 months of work with a mentor after graduating) and completing praxis. Not every job requires your CCCs but you'll have way more options and it's easier to go between states. Just make sure your school is accredited with Asha or in process. 

On 3/13/2018 at 10:24 AM, WesttoEast18 said:

Thank you! On Edfind it says they are CAA accredited and all over ASHA's website I'm finding that it is accredited. Maybe my friend is confused about something so I'll try and ask at my interview. Thanks again everyone!