Hi All,

I'm pretty bad at navigating this site so forgive me if this thread already exists for 2018 but I've been looking at a 2015 edition of this thread and it seemed really helpful so I figured I'd start one for this year. 

I'm currently trying to decide between:

Rutgers: Interdisciplinary. 2 years. full ride. possibility of GA positions worth 7k a semester. #20 in US News Rankings (don't know how they do these but...)

University of Florida: Arts + Technology. 3 years. full ride. 22k/year teaching fellowship (20 hrs/wk). #82 in US News.

USC: New Genres. 2 years. Waiting to hear back on funding. #69 in US News.

Florida State University: Interdisciplinary. 3 years. full ride. 8k/year teaching fellowship (10 hrs/wk) #69 in US News.

I'm currently pretty stuck between Rutgers and UF. It's hard to ignore Rutger's stature and proximity to NY but it's also hard to ignore 22k/year in Gainesville, Florida (this would feel like a fortune) and the added bonus of a 3 year program with lots of individual attention.

Any input on either the specific programs or just best modes of thinking for identifying the right school would be super appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

How much funding do you have for applications?

Is location more important than cost?

Do you see your style of work represented in the faculty?

Rutgers has wonderful studio spaces and a very diverse student body from what I have seen visiting the campus. I love that you are around BFA students as well as MFA students. You get teaching experience as well and access to NY. However, they only have a few MFA spots and they get an insane amount of applicants. I consider applying at Rutgers like playing the lottery. 

I can't talk about the other university since I did not visit them. All my professors told me I should visit the Universities and talk to the faculties I intend to apply to. That is a wise decision as some universities offer a great deal more than others when it comes to access to equipment, studio space and professional networking opportunities.  Some advise you to enter an MFA program only in areas you will remain after you graduate. But that leaves a lot of good opportunities on the table.