HKS vs. WWS

abeabe

Hi all, I was lucky enough to get into both HKS and WWS (MPP and MPA) programs with very generous offers. Full tuition and generous stipend. At HKS, I got a CPL fellowship so the financial situation is looking just about even at both. So, I'm having a real hard time deciding between the two. I'm based out of the US but I was thinking of going to the open house of both schools before deciding. I was also hoping anyone with thoughts about this, or anyone going through a similar process, could share their thoughts. No one in my family has heard of Princeton, so they're all just like, congrats, but go to Harvard. 

I do plan on working internationally (international development policy) so I keep going back to name recognition, but honestly, I love the idea of Princeton and the program offered. What should I do? 

The downside of HKS that everyone will tell you about is that they are very selective when it comes to funding. Since you have been chosen for a full ride, I don‘t see why you would choose WWS. Networks and job market look similarly good but name recognition swings significantly in Harvard‘s favor. Is there maybe someone among the faculty at either school you care about? That could make the decision easier perhaps.

by the way: Congratulations! Winning CPL is huge!

If the financial situation is actually comparable - Harvard. Speaking as an international student from a developing country, the Harvard brand name carries more weight here than any other university.

Edited by yzo

13 hours ago, Prester John said:

I have to choose between WWS and HKS with zero funding. That’s a no brainer!

just to know, CPL gives a stipend also?

@Prester John Ah yeah, both great options but money matters. Yes, the CPL stipend is just as generous as WWS, which seems like it's way more than enough... either the US is way more expensive than I remember or there's an error. 

Go to Harvard.

WWS is fantastic, but Princeton is a very boring bubble in the suburbs and not someplace I would want to live in my 20/30s were it not for educational opportunities with the university. Harvard is in Cambridge/Boston, a real city with many other schools and companies and restaurants and bars and a diverse set of people. Plus it arguably has better name recognition anyway. Given money isn't an issue that's a pretty clear choice to me.

I'd rather WWS. I was accepted to HKS and rejected to WWS. Given I don't have that choice, and you do, think about it from your position. Students from WWS choose interesting and great career paths. The faculty is amazing (people like Daniel Kahneman; i'm sure HKS has faculty of the same caliber tho) and the intellectual environment there would be so much better. And especially since most people do not get aid at HKS, but get full ride at WWS, the stronger applicants end up choosing Princeton over Harvard. So figure where you want to study and who you want to share your academic environment.

If you're interested in the public sector, choose WWS (and join me there - I'm in the incoming mid-career MPP class!). WWS is all about public sector careers, and that's precisely why they provide a full scholarship to all MPPs and MPAs. 

The overall class size as well as individual class sizes are significantly smaller than HKS, so there's a lot more faculty interaction. In addition, Princeton doesn't have other large professional schools like Harvard (HBS, HLS), so there really is extra attention (and resources) on the WWS students, including career mentoring.

It's true that Princeton is in the suburbs while Harvard is at Boston's doorstep, but in both cases you will still be in the college bubble. I went to Harvard for undergrad and very rarely made it to Boston. Plus, Philadelphia and New York are still very close to Princeton (45 minutes / 1 hour respectively).

If you really can't make a decision, go to both schools' Admitted Students Weekend and then follow your gut feeling.

I highly suggest you go to the Admitted Students Weekend for both schools. It sounds like you'll be saving a lot of cash these next two years, so spend a little now, maybe? If you really can't go, make sure you talk to at least two or three current students from both schools in depth to understand the differences and what you're really looking for. The admissions department should be falling over themselves to recommend current students to you, preferably from your home country or at least greater geographical area. They both have diverse enough pools of students to be able to do so. Current students will also give you the straight talk, so don't worry about biased information. If for some reason they can't, I can refer you to friends who are current students at both places (although they are Americans). 

Lastly, my two cents is that Harvard has a very large cohort which I personally don't like as much, and quite a few of their students when I met them were straight out of undergrad, which I don't consider to be a strength. I think Princeton's cohort has a higher average age, which I think makes for better classroom discussion and cohort experiences. That's what I care about, but figure out what matters to you, and then talk to these students to figure out which school can best offer it to you.

Princeton should set you up with the more premo international development jobs like Gates Foundation, and the student body will be significantly higher caliber. Cambridge would certainly be a lot more fun and you'll definitely get oohs and ahs the rest of your life for Harvard (not worth much imho).

• 10 months later...