Hi guys! I'm having a really hard time deciding between Purdue, GWU, and Penn State. If there are any graduate students who are in these programs or simply if you have any insight I would greatly appreciate it! Purdue and Penn State are ranked super well but I'm mainly worried about the surrounding areas being too rural and then GWU sounds great but is definitely the most expensive option. Please help me decide, thanks!!

Edited by CAgirl13

I have heard some not so great things about GWU recently. They doubled their cohort size and didn't hire more people. My professor told me a student, she taught in undergrad, quit the GWU program because she couldn't get anything scheduled or completed (externships etc.) with the poor staffing. I feel like going to the schools for accepted students days is the best way to get a feel for the programs. Congrats on all those acceptances!

It's ultimately up to you, but I would suggest considering the cheaper of the options. If you want to go into research and a future phd then go with a more research based, higher ranked school. It's sounds like GWU might be out, but between Purdue and Penn State which is cheaper, alines with your goals in the future, and gives you a good vibe. As long as the school is asha certified and accredited you will receive your license and degree like everyone else. My fellow classmates talked with actual slps in the field and this is what they told them. They don't care where you got your degree from as long as you have it and are a competent clinican. Hopefully that doesn't come across as harsh, but I took this into consideration when choosing my ultimate decision because for me I wanted to be financially responsible about my future. Between my two schools there was a $25,000 difference not including housing costs and living so that was enough for me to consider the cheaper option along with other reasons like the feel of the program, professor diversity and set up. Hope that helps :)

On March 18, 2018 at 5:35 PM, Hannah7 said:

I have heard some not so great things about GWU recently. They doubled their cohort size and didn't hire more people. My professor told me a student, she taught in undergrad, quit the GWU program because she couldn't get anything scheduled or completed (externships etc.) with the poor staffing. I feel like going to the schools for accepted students days is the best way to get a feel for the programs. Congrats on all those acceptances!

Hannah7, thank you for sharing this. I remember reading last year that GW was doubling its cohort size, but the plan at that time was to hire more staff. If that hasn't happened, and the program is so understaffed that students are having difficulty with their requirements, that's worrisome.

Does anyone out there have further information about the current quality of GW's program?

Hi! I go to Penn State currently for undergrad! I loved my 4 years here and I wouldn't change a thing! I love the big campus feel, everyone is super friendly and campus is easily accessible by walking (everything is roughly 15 minutes walk from each other). Many graduate students live off campus in an area called Toft Trees, which is about 10 minute drive off campus and is right by the airport and a few restaurants. Most students take a bus from there to campus, due to restricted parking spots for students (the parking spots are mainly for faculty). Penn State has FABULOUS research! I have been involved in two research labs here on campus and have loved every minute of it. If you want to have a good background in research, I recommend our program. The grad program here is small, but it's great for one-on-one time with teachers and faculty. Our clinic is on campus and is located on the first floor of the CSD building. The only downside is that we don't live near many hospitals for the medical rotation, so you may have to travel for that rotation. In addition, the downtown feel of State College is amazing, it makes the college seem a lot bigger and more lively than it already is. PS you can get tickets for our football games! If you are able to bring your car, I recommend it. I park a few blocks from my apartment and I love being able to get off campus for a little bit. Sometimes I do feel trapped being on campus all the time, so having a car gives me a little break. Best of luck in graduate school! 

On 3/29/2018 at 12:57 PM, SLP2BE21xo said:

Hi! I go to Penn State currently for undergrad! I loved my 4 years here and I wouldn't change a thing! I love the big campus feel, everyone is super friendly and campus is easily accessible by walking (everything is roughly 15 minutes walk from each other). Many graduate students live off campus in an area called Toft Trees, which is about 10 minute drive off campus and is right by the airport and a few restaurants. Most students take a bus from there to campus, due to restricted parking spots for students (the parking spots are mainly for faculty). Penn State has FABULOUS research! I have been involved in two research labs here on campus and have loved every minute of it. If you want to have a good background in research, I recommend our program. The grad program here is small, but it's great for one-on-one time with teachers and faculty. Our clinic is on campus and is located on the first floor of the CSD building. The only downside is that we don't live near many hospitals for the medical rotation, so you may have to travel for that rotation. In addition, the downtown feel of State College is amazing, it makes the college seem a lot bigger and more lively than it already is. PS you can get tickets for our football games! If you are able to bring your car, I recommend it. I park a few blocks from my apartment and I love being able to get off campus for a little bit. Sometimes I do feel trapped being on campus all the time, so having a car gives me a little break. Best of luck in graduate school! 

Thank you so much for the helpful information!