TC, Columbia University (Acceptances, Waitlists, Rejections)

Hey guys, 

I was just waitlisted from TC, Columbia University. Figured I'd start this threat so people can post whether they've been accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. Or if you've been accepted and you're planning to reject your offer? Also, does anyone know how likely it is to get off the waitlist?

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!! :)

Edited by 966179

Hi! I just received my acceptance earlier this evening! I had a jam-packed resume and strong personal statement, and my GPA for my last 90 credits was 3.85. I haven't heard any information about the TC waitlist, but don't give up hope! Best of luck to everyone.

23 hours ago, BrainSergion said:

Hi! 

I just got my acceptance letter from Columbia!

18 hours ago, sasquatchslp said:

Hi! I just received my acceptance earlier this evening! I had a jam-packed resume and strong personal statement, and my GPA for my last 90 credits was 3.85. I haven't heard any information about the TC waitlist, but don't give up hope! Best of luck to everyone.

CONGRATS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCES!!! :) are you planning on attending??

I got accepted yesterday too! Don't lose hope if you were waitlisted, I heard that waitlisted students very often times end up getting in! I am struggling to choose between NYU and Columbia now... both good programs which doesn't make it any easier. Anyone else in this position?

52 minutes ago, Speechgirl25 said:

I got accepted yesterday too! Don't lose hope if you were waitlisted, I heard that waitlisted students very often times end up getting in! I am struggling to choose between NYU and Columbia now... both good programs which doesn't make it any easier. Anyone else in this position?

I was accepted to both as well. I am hoping to set up visits, but am leaning more towards TC.

Hi @zurako!  I’ve found it really difficult to pin down accurate information on TC, so I’d be SO appreciative if you could answer a few of my questions! Thank you!!

1. Would you say that the school is fairly research-based? I’m interested in pursuing research and I’m wondering how many students participate in the labs in the department/if research is emphasized as part of the TC experience. Do you know if there are any paid research positions available, or is it strictly volunteer-based? 

2. Where do most of your cohort members live? I know I could save some money on tuition by attending TC over a school like Northwestern, but it would definitely cost me more in terms of living expenses so I'm wondering if it'll be 100% worth it. Do you or many of your classmates have jobs in addition to your schooling? 

3. Would you happen to know if any of your classmates are pursuing the NYCDOE scholarship for some help with paying off their student loans? I’m very interested in this avenue and am wondering if it’s a feasible option.

4. And lastly, did you find yourself torn between two schools when you were in this position last year? How did you decide on Columbia? 

Thank you so very much! I’m planning on attending the TC open house in early April, but I’m a little nervous as I only have a week to make a decision after I check out the program and facilities. I really appreciate your input!

16 hours ago, sasquatchslp said:

Hi @zurako!  I’ve found it really difficult to pin down accurate information on TC, so I’d be SO appreciative if you could answer a few of my questions! Thank you!!

1. Would you say that the school is fairly research-based? I’m interested in pursuing research and I’m wondering how many students participate in the labs in the department/if research is emphasized as part of the TC experience. Do you know if there are any paid research positions available, or is it strictly volunteer-based? 

2. Where do most of your cohort members live? I know I could save some money on tuition by attending TC over a school like Northwestern, but it would definitely cost me more in terms of living expenses so I'm wondering if it'll be 100% worth it. Do you or many of your classmates have jobs in addition to your schooling? 

3. Would you happen to know if any of your classmates are pursuing the NYCDOE scholarship for some help with paying off their student loans? I’m very interested in this avenue and am wondering if it’s a feasible option.

4. And lastly, did you find yourself torn between two schools when you were in this position last year? How did you decide on Columbia? 

Thank you so very much! I’m planning on attending the TC open house in early April, but I’m a little nervous as I only have a week to make a decision after I check out the program and facilities. I really appreciate your input!

1. We are very strong in terms of research! In a lot of classes we get exposed to the latest research in the field, some of which are conducted by our own professors. Not everyone participates in research but everyone who wanted a research position in a lab got one as far as I know. We do have paid research positions! Obviously it is a little bit harder to get depending on the professor's funding but it is possible.

2. Most people live in the dorms, some live off campus around the area, and a small number try to save money by commuting from home. Most people babysit, some do work study in the school or retail. It is definitely possible to be working part time for 10-20 hours (at least in the first year) as long as you manage your time.

3. A few people get in every year. It is really competitive though and everyone in our year who had gotten it are bilingual. 

4. The fact that multicultural focus is infused throughout the program! Also, only one extra class was necessary to get the bilingual extension so it will save time and money. 

Thank you so much for your response! Just one more question-- is the bilingual extension reserved for only Spanish speakers? I have a degree in German and I speak it fluently, but I'm not sure if there's much of a demand for German SLPs. I also fear that I'm not "fluent enough" to earn the certification, as I'm not a native speaker, so I didn't try applying under the bilingual program. Would you happen to know if any of your classmates shared this concern? Thanks!

2 hours ago, sasquatchslp said:

Thank you so much for your response! Just one more question-- is the bilingual extension reserved for only Spanish speakers? I have a degree in German and I speak it fluently, but I'm not sure if there's much of a demand for German SLPs. I also fear that I'm not "fluent enough" to earn the certification, as I'm not a native speaker, so I didn't try applying under the bilingual program. Would you happen to know if any of your classmates shared this concern? Thanks!

The bilingual program at TC can apply to any language! I don't know how confident you feel about conducting therapy in German, but not everyone in our cohort are native speakers of the language they are pursuing. In terms of the program, if the placement coordinator cannot find a placement for you in German, then she would place you to work with other bilingual clients and you can just treat them in English. You could always change your degree to the dual certification program once you get here if you decide to pursue it. In terms of certification, the required test for NYS is not very hard if you are proficient in the language.

48 minutes ago, zurako said:

The bilingual program at TC can apply to any language! I don't know how confident you feel about conducting therapy in German, but not everyone in our cohort are native speakers of the language they are pursuing. In terms of the program, if the placement coordinator cannot find a placement for you in German, then she would place you to work with other bilingual clients and you can just treat them in English. You could always change your degree to the dual certification program once you get here if you decide to pursue it. In terms of certification, the required test for NYS is not very hard if you are proficient in the language.

That's a relief to hear! I'll definitely be asking more questions about this when I attend the open house next week. Thank you for all this great information!

Hi everyone...just joining in! (I'll be at the open house, fingers crossed). @zurako could I ask you a question about the housing....that's the part I'm nervous about. Do you know of areas close by that students commute from that don't break the bank? 

12 hours ago, EAM said:

Hi everyone...just joining in! (I'll be at the open house, fingers crossed). @zurako could I ask you a question about the housing....that's the part I'm nervous about. Do you know of areas close by that students commute from that don't break the bank? 

Harlem is probably your best bet, but it is getting more expensive too nowadays ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 12:21 AM, sasquatchslp said:

Do they only look at last 90 credits?