Teach NYC Scholarship

Does anyone have any info/a review on the Teach NYC Scholarship? Any info regarding personal, or if you know anyone and/or just heard about it in general. I'm having a hard time debating if I should apply to a school because they offer that, or just go with the school that is more expensive--pretty much just don't know if its worth to apply to or not. ANY info helps!! :D

Hey! From what I know if youre awarded the scholarship they pay for your master's, but then you have to work in whatever borough they place you in for 4 years. What two schools are you deciding between?

I was highly considering applying and was going to pick my school based off of which programs had the scholarship. I decided against it because when I went to apply the application said placements for monolingual slps was only in the Bronx. Before when I checked there was the option of all the boroughs and several districts. My issue is that since they changed it that means by the time we graduate and are looking for a job it can change again and you are locked in to wherever you are needed. If you are okay with that then I think it is a great opportunity and leaves you out of debt! I only wanted to work in certain areas so I decided it was not the best fit for me.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 12:48 AM, lore3027 said:

Does anyone have anything to add to this thread, I would also like to know more about the Teach NYC Scholarship. 

Thanks all!

Like @speech72 said, for the most part they will place you in the Bronx or wherever they decide to change it to. I was considering applying until I saw that they will be placing you rather than giving you a few options to choose from. 4 years isn't a short commitment but if you're willing to do it, their page offers a lot of information. Definitely check it out!

59 minutes ago, cef26 said:

I was going to apply but I heard that if you go to a school with a bilingual extension they are more likely to pick those students over monolingual, is that true?

I heard the same and it it likely is (considering bilingual SLPs are also high in demand). You should apply regardless; you never know and it could be missed opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm graduating from TC, Columbia University and got the Teach Scholarship as a bilingual applicant. Bilingual applicants are favored over monolingual since there is such a need. The DOE/scholarship organizers had a networking/interview event for the applicants last week. You do have to find a position in a "high needs" district which they let you know. However, it's not the DOE specifically choosing where you go. You apply to districts that are included and the decision is ultimately yours to make

30 minutes ago, hopefulSLP2Be said:

I'm graduating from TC, Columbia University and got the Teach Scholarship as a bilingual applicant. Bilingual applicants are favored over monolingual since there is such a need. The DOE/scholarship organizers had a networking/interview event for the applicants last week. You do have to find a position in a "high needs" district which they let you know. However, it's not the DOE specifically choosing where you go. You apply to districts that are included and the decision is ultimately yours to make

Do they have a map or something to indicate which areas are considered high needs?

1 hour ago, hopefulSLP2Be said:

Hi, how did you find out about the networking/interview event last week? I have been in touch with them to ask questions over the phone and been on their the website but I did not know about that. Just want to make sure I don't miss out on a future event. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Ecstatic! said:

Hi, how did you find out about the networking/interview event last week? I have been in touch with them to ask questions over the phone and been on their the website but I did not know about that. Just want to make sure I don't miss out on a future event. Thanks.

it was invite only for us 2nd year/graduating grad students already in the scholarship program

Edited by hopefulSLP2Be

@hopefulSLP2Be Do you think applying as a monolingual applicant is worth it? I was planning and hoping to apply, but everything is so busy right now and I have so little time and am very overwhelmed and figured I probably won't get it anyway. Do you have any advice on whether monolinguals have a chance? Thank you so much!

4 hours ago, psychslp said:

@hopefulSLP2Be Do you think applying as a monolingual applicant is worth it? I was planning and hoping to apply, but everything is so busy right now and I have so little time and am very overwhelmed and figured I probably won't get it anyway. Do you have any advice on whether monolinguals have a chance? Thank you so much!

If you are someone interesting in working for the DOE then there’s no harm in trying considering you’re getting your masters degree paid for. Yes you owe them 4 years in a “high needs” district, but after that 4 years you’re free to transfer to another district or even just leave the DOE if you so choose 

i know people that have gotten for monolingual it’s just that naturally there’s more need for qualified bilingual applicants 

• 1 year later...